IGNORED

And... He's Off

RedRider

Son #1 (GoldenRider) flew from Phoenix to WI last week to attend a friend's graduation and to see the family. While here he took my Venture to Fort Wayne to visit the Grandparents.

He just took off to ride an '86 BMW K75C back to Phoenix for son #2 (moved out there a couple of months ago).

53 degrees and raining. Perfect weather for a 2000 mile trip with intentions of camping each night.

IMG_20170520_132443051_HDR-M.jpg

Wish I was going with him (kind of).

RR

Edited by RedRider

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW - wish I was riding/camping/dodging rain drips right beside em too Red!!!!! DEFINITELY a son to be proud of right there brother = YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWWW!!!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

PS - he probably already knows this but tell em ol Puc says the key to staying dry and not needing rain gear on a bike is to speed up in the rain!! Personally - riding rain is the one of the only places I prefer Ick-spressway travel = +85 = bone dry!!:250::bikersmilie::301:

Pucster, that bike will barely do 85 with all that stuff on there. He is staying off the interstate the whole way. We laid out a route on the blue highways only.

Also, he is doing this without GPS - maps only. Did a 5000+ mile trip in his truck last summer the same way.

Yes, I am proud of him.

RR

GoldenRider made it home yesterday after rain, wind, and mountain cold. Epic ride.

The bike ran well but raised some concerns when in the mountains. It seemed to loose power (it is FI). I didn't think about it until he told me this, but there is a small plug with a jumper wire on the side of the engine. If he would have pulled that (he had no idea it was there), it sets the FI map to a high altitude setting. Would have been nice to have tested that as I never had a need for it.

2017052395155037-M.jpg

RR

This is an '86 bike. My guess is the FI controller only has so much adjustability. So they need to load a new map for higher altitudes.

Kind of like loading a new map area in your GPS if it can't​ store the whole country.

RR

So you're saying it doesn't have an oxygen sensor to determine how to adjust the fuel flow, just a pre-determined fuel mix. I'm sure there is a vacuum sensor feeding the brain.

A lot of early FI motorcyles used Open Loop systems with only RPM and Throttle Input adjustments in the system. Fuel Trim levels was a set table that needed to be programed. Later models finally got O2's with Closed Loop.

A lot of early FI motorcycles used open loop systems with only RPM and Throttle Input adjustments in the system. Fuel Trim levels was a set table that needed to be programed. Later models finally got O2's with Closed Loop.

Yup, that appears to be it. Here is the FI control diagram.

IMG_20170525_191654669-M.jpg

No O2 sensor.

RR

Sleeping bag, tent & canvas!! Little Grub & Water. Off to CFW!! Those were the days. I've camped on rocks, beside rocks, Under rocks!! Some strange places. Ate some strange food. Love to do it again. Keep your Motels!!!:backinmyday::mugshot:
Just never with tent Poles....think you'll ever try it? :rotfl:

Just never with tent Poles....think you'll ever try it? :rotfl:

I never had tent poles in those days. Just a piece of plastic I hooked to the bike and and pulled out and staked to the ground or put something on it to hold it down. And a canvas square that went on ground. Didn't even have real tent then....:Avatars_Gee_George: