IGNORED

Fuel Problem?

Hello and thank you for the welcome.

I have never done this before, this is the first group or forum I have ever joined.

I'm not the best with technology as I'm now 58 and worked construction all my life so not a lot of computers.

I have a 2008 royal star tour deluxe that I have added a hopped fairing and a super trunk III and last fall it was like it ran out of gas I was going down the road and boom it quit after about an hour it started up and ran good, I put a new fuel filter and thought it was good, then it quit again, so I ordered and put a new fuel pump in, and now it is spring out again and I made it about 2 miles and it quit again.

I have gone through the fuel lines completely and new air filters, I have installed a new pickup coil, and it quit yet again.

I'm trying to fix my bike so I can ride it, I'm now disabled so I can't work and I don't have the money to just take it in to a shop.

I'm hoping to get a direction or a place to look next.

Sincerely JJ

Hey John, welcome to the forum. :canada:I have a 2009 RSTD, nice bike! Just thinking out loud here... have you checked your battery condition, leads all tight, fully charged etc?

Reason I ask is I had a similar problem with my Kawasaki, out for a ride, just quit, after some time it could be started again, but would quit again.

On the Kawasaki it wasn't the battery but the stator that had 3 coils burned out, so battery wasn't getting charged properly. I replaced the stator, voltage rectifier/ regulator & put a new battery in as it was getting old. No problems since.

May be worth checking your charging circuits. Good luck

It is common to have a plugged vent for the gas tank. Next time it quits, as soon as you are safely stopped, pop the gas cap and listen close for a hiss of air rushing into the tank, and it then it can immediately restart and run for a while until the tank has a vacuum in it again. If you have this then you just need to get that vent hose unplugged. A cheap and common fix. Insects are known to crawl up into that hose and die or build a nest.

Hey John, welcome to the forum. :canada:I have a 2009 RSTD, nice bike! Just thinking out loud here... have you checked your battery condition, leads all tight, fully charged etc?

Reason I ask is I had a similar problem with my Kawasaki, out for a ride, just quit, after some time it could be started again, but would quit again.

On the Kawasaki it wasn't the battery but the stator that had 3 coils burned out, so battery wasn't getting charged properly. I replaced the stator, voltage rectifier/ regulator & put a new battery in as it was getting old. No problems since.

May be worth checking your charging circuits. Good luck

The battery is good and it has lots of power as it cranks the motor over like nobody's business.

it cranks good and when cool fires right up, but when it dies i can crank and crank but it will not fire up, but the battery stays strong.

It is common to have a plugged vent for the gas tank. Next time it quits, as soon as you are safely stopped, pop the gas cap and listen close for a hiss of air rushing into the tank, and it then it can immediately restart and run for a while until the tank has a vacuum in it again. If you have this then you just need to get that vent hose unplugged. A cheap and common fix. Insects are known to crawl up into that hose and die or build a nest.

No sorry to say vent line is clear and no hissing sound when you open the gas cap.

No sorry to say vent line is clear and no hissing sound when you open the gas cap.

Thank you for the help.

sorry to say that is not my issue but thanks for trying.

Well if you think its the pump, pop the line off on the carb side and see if it will pump fuel. The contacts are built into the pump. They can be replaced, but it is a "wear" item and will eventually go bad again probably. I swapped mine out for a MR gasket 42 pump. Solid state low psi. If you take the line off the pump should pump for maybe a minute or so, then off, then on cycling.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost certain it is the ignition box

There are a variety of tests for the ignition system. Download the service manual from our web site and read over the tests there. See if any of that helps.

Or.. Search this site for older posts on ignition woes, or, motor dies..... Or ignition testing.

Different search terms usually helps. Pay attention to the posts at the bottom of the pages. They are related by subject matter and can often take you to a really good thread that is just what you were looking for.

The RSTD is a newer bike, so ignition boxes are not usually the problem. Corrosion of wires to and from the box can be an issue as well as sensors to the ignition box. You may be right, but it's always best to rule out the cheap stuff first.

The wiring for the RSV and the RSTD are similar in terms of engine operation.