IGNORED

BMW r1100rt vs first gen venture.

garyS-NJ

I've been riding a 1995 katana and really enjoy the sporty (and confidence inspiring) nature as compared to my '84 venture (which admittedly needs fork seals and still has original rear shock). But my gf says its too much work to ride on the katana. So I'm considering sportier touring options (my venture isn't so much for touring but rather for cold weather, long trips with gear, two up,... Otherwise I have other bikes) and thinking about a 2000 ish BMW r1100rt. Comments?

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2000models/2000models-BMW-R1100RT.htm

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I like em but I gotta tell ya,, I have been around Beemers a little, ridden a number of em, known folks who have owned em and can verify - there is truth to that saying that BMW stands for Bring More Wampom or Bring More Wallet - no getting around it,, parts aint cheap even if ya can do your own wrenchin..

Maybe an FJ or ST?

Was in our local dealership Friday blowing off a couple hours - noticed they had a brand new left over Ninja 1000 for 7400 bucks.. Got talking with another geezer there who is riding one who was telling me what a STEAL that was (MSRP was 12).. I was shocked to here him say they offer bags for the Ninja and he tours his - keep in mind that the Ninja is not the "complete" sport bike (you sit upright) - thats the ZX (lay down).. Found out that Yam makes a similar bike - called the FZ1 that I guess has a detuned R1 motor in it. Same kind of deal - Yam offers bags for the Z1.. Kind of Intriguing to me cause I have always loved the sport touring side of my MK1's - I like being able to go fast too.. Did a little Youtube study on the Z1's - found out that even though detuned - they still have no problem pinning the KPH dial (one I found on there was an older analog model in Kilos) at 280 KMph which is 173 mph - guy was cruisin at a steady 220 in total relaxed mode...

Of course,, we both know that the best sport touring would be a new V-Max with a set of bags on it cause there is still nothing like a good ol Yam V-4 :bikersmilie:

Mom Yam - if your reading this - STOP!! Your suppose to be working on,,,,,,,, never mind - you aint reading this..

I'm quite partial to BMW, I would jump on an RT for sport touring. It's hard to compare it to a Venture, they are different tools for a different job. Unless money is an issue it's hard to jump on an RT with the K1600 lingering in the background.

If reliability is an issue you might consider a Triumph Trophy for 2up sporty touring. I bought a Hinkley era Triumph new in 2000 and put 80k trouble free miles on that, the single most reliable and well sorted bike I have ever owned. I would not be afraid to own one again, it's not like the older pre-Hinkley models that can be nearly as finicky as HDs. I almost bought the Honda VFR instead of the Triumph Sprint ST but the Triumph had superior EFI mapping and reliability. For a relative newcomer to be that much better than the Honda really says something. I rode a Night Train too for fun but it felt like it was only running on two cylinders, very anti-climatic machine. I rode the Triumph and bought it on the spot.

I have not ridden a newer Trophy but based on my experience with Triumph it might be one of the first touring bikes I would look at. The BMW K bikes are insane powerhouses but I would give up a few HP for some sweet sweet reliability.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/adventure-and-touring/trophy/2016/trophy-se-abs

I've read lots of horror stories about rear gear failures and servo assisted brake problems. For a few years in the early 2000's, they had servo assisted brakes. if they fail it could cost up to $4k to get it repaired. I think the part to fix it was about $2600. But, there are videos on youtube showing you how to rewire it to delete the servo assist and ABS. Prevention from what I read was brake fluid flush at least once a year. Do some research and decide for yourself. In the latest testing that I have read, the test riders preferred the RT to the K1600. I think the ride position is more upright on the RT than other Sport Tourers.

Edited by BlueSky

The Honda ST engine configuration and spaceship look is just too unconventional for me. I would seriously consider an FJ but have read that the big in line 4's are buzzy in the grips for long rides. Idk, but my right hand goes numb sometimes anyway from a neck injury.. That would go for the Kaw ZX also. Buzzy. But I read about the ZX11 and review said super fast straight line machine but a heavy workout with soft suspension for hard cornering yet harsh for bumps.. ( I know there is a later zx14, maybe 13 also) They recommended the older ZX9. But looking at these bikes, I see the low 1.5" risers lika a katana and small fairing so I'm guessing same not easy for passenger. I would have never thought a triumph could be right and tight but read great reviews on the Sprint. But like the Honda VFR, its like a katana sporty seating and smallish fairing for two up.

If buzzy is a deterent, the RT might not be a good bet. Boxers tend to be pretty buzzy at highway speeds. I would still take one though. Bar weights do their job well. I had a friend fill his handlebars with sand to deaden that and he was pretty happy. I'm actually not sure how the 1200s are. I was afraid to ride an RT or GS1200 because I know that would be followed by a rapid series of unwise financial decisions, but 1100 and I believe 1150 have a buzzyness about them . I could real easily fall in love with an RT. Boxers are cool, they last a long time too, and you will learn how to put a bike on the center stand in your sleep.

That's why the BMW with its larger fairing, more upright seating, thumpy boxer motor interested me. More protection from the elements but I was guessing it would be powerful and nimble.. I. Know its a lot lighter than a venture. I have to try one..

What is that Honda V-4 model with the crank facing the back of the bike - was looking at one at the shop,, pretty neat.. Tell ya one thing for sure,, ya never really know what might work for ya till ya find one and take a peek - preferably a ride.. Got a couple buddies I run with over here on the west side of Michigan who enjoy doing test rides and demo's as much as I do.. Lots and Lots of times the three of us have escaped the women - snuck off and rode all over Michigan test riding bikes.. Polaris was (probably still is) known for offering factory test riding - great big semi in a bike shop parking lot,, I am sure you guys know the routine.. Anyway,, hopped on a "Vision 8 Ball" for a test ride = WOWZY WOW WOW, was I impressed!! We nicknamed that machine the "WEEBLE" after that old ad = "weebles will wobble but they wont fall down".. I FLOGGED that thing in the corners and talk about stable!! Now with Polaris having shut off their Victory line - cant help but wonder if one of those couldnt be had DIRT CHEAP..

I love threads like this..

Edited by cowpuc
yep - I'm a geezer,, spelled RODE = ROAD

I can't afford A newish bike so the ctx is out. A 2000 Honda ST1100 is 655 lbs dry with .0.33hp/kg. Definately a long distance rocket with plenty of power but the Trophy coming in at 585 lbs dry and 0.44hp/kg will most likely be a lot more sportier. I'm just wondering about the reliability and arts availability/price for the triumph trophy.

yep - those triumph's are way cool.. Personally I really like the looks and attitude of the Rocket 3.. Just something about that big ol 3 cylinder motor sitting in line with the frame of the bike that speaks to me.. Sort of like the old 4 cylinder Indians of yesteryear = wayyyy cool IMHO.. Only problem is, Triumph is kind of like Beemer IHMO - to much off mainstream and easy to create a scenario where I would be broke down with a snapped clutch cable somewhere out in Montana and some smarty pants at the only Triumph shop in the state would want 700 bucks for the part... Been there and dont care to give em another shot at me..

How about something like a Suki V-Strom... Got a bud that bought his 1000 cheap and had it all over the country.. He uses those ammo box looking bags - kind of cool really - and wow are they sturdy.. Bike FLYS and gets super mileage... Not sure,,, those might even be shaft drive,,,, take that back - think they are chain drive = nice cause you can gear em to your liking cheaply with primary shaft sprocket = 1 up or down makes a HUGE difference.. Think @eagleeye grabbed a 650 Strom not long ago - he stopped by here with it stuffed in his truck to show it to me on his way home from picking it up.. Might ask him how he likes it if your interested in going that route... LOTS of cool choices out there for sure..

Yes, I'm a tad worried about parts... Gonna look into that.. Also, for me its always been Harley or nap bikes so the triumph is scary (like how will I rebuild the carbs... Does it have carbs? The vstrom is cool but doesn't have the full fairing which I'm looking for to deal with the colder weather.. Now I'm wondering if the trophy at 485 lbs will be too light for all that fairing and be buffeted around by Cross winds on the highway. The venture don't move around too much and keeps up with my friends on their new Harleys..

I've been trying to rationalize the expenditure to buy an RT. There is a local 2010 BMWR1200RT with 25k miles for sale for $10,500. But, I just can't do it. Before Christmas, there was a 2007 very low mileage Honda ST1300 for sale for $6600. The owner kept dropping the price until just after Christmas when he dropped it to $4,000. I wanted to buy it but the wife said I had to sell a bike or two before buying that so I missed out on that deal. That was an incredible buy. So, if you are patient and watch craigslist you can stumble on a great deal sometimes.

Somehow I have some phone app set to,monitor Craigs so I get an alert everyday to see new bikes in my state. My gf hates me always looking. And yes I have a mess of bikes and no money so the venture would have to go just to fit the Trophy in my yard. If I can scrape up the bucks, gonna go test ride that trophy but he said no registration so I guess that means no highways.

I've been trying to rationalize the expenditure to buy an RT. There is a local 2010 BMWR1200RT with 25k miles for sale for $10,500. But, I just can't do it. Before Christmas, there was a 2007 very low mileage Honda ST1300 for sale for $6600. The owner kept dropping the price until just after Christmas when he dropped it to $4,000. I wanted to buy it but the wife said I had to sell a bike or two before buying that so I missed out on that deal. That was an incredible buy. So, if you are patient and watch craigslist you can stumble on a great deal sometimes.

Wowzy - your right Sky - that was deal!!! I shop alot too (being normal and of sound mind), lots of fun! Have seen more than one of our 2nd Gens listed for under 3 and always said to myself,,, "who would give away a perfectly good motorcycle"... It sure gives credence to that old saying "the market sets the prices" thats for sure!! Certainly makes no difference what KBB or the rest might or might not say does it...

Somehow I have some phone app set to,monitor Craigs so I get an alert everyday to see new bikes in my state. My gf hates me always looking. And yes I have a mess of bikes and no money so the venture would have to go just to fit the Trophy in my yard. If I can scrape up the bucks, gonna go test ride that trophy but he said no registration so I guess that means no highways.

Gary, I picked up a 46 Indian Chief basket case a number of years ago - it came with a BUNCH of old parts that I sold off.. There was a tired old speedo off a real early harley in one of those boxes that I hung on the wall of my shop downstairs.. One day I was looking at parts for another HD I was building on and noticed this ad about early HD speedos and how to determine what they were.. Come to find out - that old beater speedo was only used for a year or two.. Got an idea, stuck it on Craigs for 650 bucks just to see what would happen,, never know right?

10 minutes after I stuck it on there I get an email - guy says "I'll take it" - with phone number.. I'm like - thats gotta be a scam.. Googled the number,, came back clean.. Called him - said he'd gladly Paypal me the cash or send a Money Order.. Asked who he was - a well known collector out in California named Todd who operates "Hunting Harley's" on Youtube - been watching his "show" for years - told him go ahead and Paypal it and I will stick the speedo in the mail.. He did and I did.. I asked him later how he found my ad so quickly.. Just like you he had some kind of app or software or something that constantly monitored Craigs for certain items he was looking for and called him or something when it got a hit - POOOOOF,,, instant hook up!! Worked AWESOME!!!

I had a Honda St1100.That was a nice little sports touring bike.Fast, easy to handle and real easy on parts.My recent bike is a FJR1300. Great bike and lots of power.Handles like a dream and not buzzy at all.Easy on parts too.Motors are bullet proof.I sold my Venture recently.

yep - those triumph's are way cool.. Personally I really like the looks and attitude of the Rocket 3.. Just something about that big ol 3 cylinder motor sitting in line with the frame of the bike that speaks to me.. Sort of like the old 4 cylinder Indians of yesteryear = wayyyy cool IMHO.. Only problem is, Triumph is kind of like Beemer IHMO - to much off mainstream and easy to create a scenario where I would be broke down with a snapped clutch cable somewhere out in Montana and some smarty pants at the only Triumph shop in the state would want 700 bucks for the part... Been there and dont care to give em another shot at me..

How about something like a Suki V-Strom... Got a bud that bought his 1000 cheap and had it all over the country.. He uses those ammo box looking bags - kind of cool really - and wow are they sturdy.. Bike FLYS and gets super mileage... Not sure,,, those might even be shaft drive,,,, take that back - think they are chain drive = nice cause you can gear em to your liking cheaply with primary shaft sprocket = 1 up or down makes a HUGE difference.. Think eagleeye grabbed a 650 Strom not long ago - he stopped by here with it stuffed in his truck to show it to me on his way home from picking it up.. Might ask him how he likes it if your interested in going that route... LOTS of cool choices out there for sure..

Okay, I was just enjoying reading this thread without commenting, but ole Puc's post dragged me in.

Of all the bikes that have been mentioned in this discussion, the Suzuki V-Strom might possibly be the best overall quality bike suggested.

I never knew what a V-Strom was until many years ago, my cousin bought a 650 V-Strom. My wife and I went on a week long ride to San Antonio many years ago on our RSTD, and he and his wife went 2 up on that V-Strom with us. That dang thing stayed right with us with them both on it, and huge saddlebags attached. Since that ride, they have been all over the nation 2 up on that thing with zero problems. They've been to Colorado, Utah, AZ, NM, California, Washington state, The Smokys, etc... The 2009 650 V-Strom was the European bike of the year. His brother, my other cousin, bought a 1000 V-Strom, and he has ridden that bike all over the nation too. Those two guys riding those two V-Stroms convinced me there is a reason the V-Strom has such a fanatical following.

Side note: The cousin that bought the 650 V-Strom years ago, purchased a new BMW R1200RT back in 2013, and he and his wife have been all over the country on that bike and he loves it to death. But, It has had a rearend go out (under warranty), and his cruise control module went out (under warranty). Even though he has the BMW, he prefers to ride the V-Strom for his daily and local rides. it now has 160K miles on it.

The cousin that has the 1000 V-Strom has found a retrofit sport touring fairing that fits that bike. I think hes gonna buy that fairing and try it.

Big Lenny