IGNORED

Windshield question

Ok so I need to make a change with the windshield. Currently stock height. Right now, I look through it. its about 3 inches too high (forehead height). I dont mind seeing through it. Although I would like to be able to sit up to see over it in rain. So I was thinking of a shorter shield. Im hesitant though because of the wind buffetting on the back of my helmet. It gives me a headache. Now I am thinking taller. Should I go taller or shorter to solve the buffeting? Will a vent help with the buffetting? Thoughts appreciated.

Ok so I need to make a change with the windshield. Currently stock height. Right now, I look through it. its about 3 inches too high (forehead height). I dont mind seeing through it. Although I would like to be able to sit up to see over it in rain. So I was thinking of a shorter shield. Im hesitant though because of the wind buffetting on the back of my helmet. It gives me a headache. Now I am thinking taller. Should I go taller or shorter to solve the buffeting? Will a vent help with the buffetting? Thoughts appreciated.

Pledge helps?

I have a stock height BaggerShield that I'm willing to part with. Was on the bike for 5 days and only a couple hundred km. Let me know if you are interested. Could meet you either in Sarnia, Ontario; Port Huron, MI, or at a half-way point around Imlay City, MI. Say $100 U.S..

http://www.baggershield.com/baggershield-star-venture-105-to-165-extra-large-adjustable-p-26.html

Baggershield shows $140 for the shield plus a minimum $25 shipping.

You know I wished I could have found one for the first gens..... Maybe I just didn't look, or I am trully blind, I do like the Idea of a vent in the windscreen tho....
The gen1's should not need a windshield vent, buffeting is mostly a gen2 issue. The two top fairing vents and the steering well vent should adequately prevent any low pressure area behind the shield.

My 90 has a full height windshield that is at about my nose level and there is no helmet buffeting for me. My 89 has a shortened shield that is about at my chin and I do get a small amount of buffeting when I'm in a fairly strong cross wind. It does not affect the helmet but does occasionally make the visor almost close. Seems like a non-issue to me.

The gen1's should not need a windshield vent, buffeting is mostly a gen2 issue. The two top fairing vents and the steering well vent should adequately prevent any low pressure area behind the shield.

My 90 has a full height windshield that is at about my nose level and there is no helmet buffeting for me. My 89 has a shortened shield that is about at my chin and I do get a small amount of buffeting when I'm in a fairly strong cross wind. It does not affect the helmet but does occasionally make the visor almost close. Seems like a non-issue to me.

I wasnt referring to buffeting I just like the look and the ability to change height if I felt like getting more air... Partially on hot summer days...

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

Myself I prefer an oversized shield, and as Snyper mentioned using furniture polish to clean your windshield all the time makes the rain bead up and blow off better!! In this case, the faster you go the better it blows off!! Use plastic chrome door edge protector around the edge of the shield to cut down on the amount of water that rolls back onto the inside of the shield. Also, try a pair of amber hunting/shooting glasses in the rain, you will be surprised at how much it improves your visibility!!

I have vents on all three bikes. They add nicely to the air cooling I need riding in AZ.

The stock 1st gen windshield is pretty good at keeping airflow away from people. Going larger or smaller will increase passenger buffeting. Driver should be ok.

Stock 2nd gen is good as well. I went larger and created more buffeting on my passenger.

Going quite small will give you maximum airflow and buffeting... Though it's not as Disturbed as with much larger screen.

Suggest you get a Slipstreamer for $$100 and try it out. Cheap enough you can cut it down a little at a time and experiment. When you get the airflow you want, transfer that to another more expensive shield and throw on a vent too.

I am looking at the Clearview shield. The lip will help on the buffeting. I added a Saeng Micro-Swirl Edging to my VTX windshield. It may not look cool but I could get 10 to 15 more mph before any buffeting took place. So the lip on the Clearview should even be better plus they are wider. I hope the vent will be worth while.

My stock is way too tall for my short a$$. So i marked my stock shield at the different heights Clearview sells and rode a few thousand miles to see which height works for me.

I had the std size OEM windshield. It was fine most of the time. Rain was bad as I am short enough I couldnt see over it no matter what. I had a old Memphis shades shield I took of my Kawasaki. I laid the RSV shield over the top and cut it down. Then trimmed some on that until I got the right height I was looking for. It was free so I wasnt out anything. There are a couple aftermarket jobs I would have tried.

PO installed the Star short wide windscreen, giving me the stock in a box. I'm 6'3" and the short wide I feel is perfect for me. Wind slightly clips the top of my helmet. I like looking over windscreens no matter what. I believe it's safer that way, clear unobstructed view of the road ahead and to the sides at all times and weather.