IGNORED

White VS Silver

Marcarl

Now this has been bugging me for some time, what reflects more light? White or silver.

History:

Some years ago there was a meet at WowSkunks place in New York State. Two VentureRiders presented themselves there if I remember correctly, Bongobob and MarCarl and I think that Runninbare was there as well. Hey, there might have been more, but it's a long time ago, and I just can't remember. Anyways, this discussion centers around Bob and Carl.

We both had 1st gens and both had modified headlight tunnels, and 'then the fight started'. Bob had painted his white and Carl had covered his with aluminum tape. Question was, who had the better light output, Bob or Carl. We never did come to an agreement, we just stayed friends instead.

Problem:

As I thought about this though, I thought that it wouldn't be fair to have Bob leave this world with an erroneous thought built into his mind. Can you imagine what could happen on the other with bad info? I would not want to have anything serious happen to my friend Bob, just because I didn't want to tweek his mind with a minor correction . On the other hand, if I went to the next life with a thought that wasn't entirely perfect, can you just think of the confusion, discombobulation, discord, and other misconceptions that might arise from such thoughts?

So help us out here, please!!!

Solution?:

I did a little research, and so far have discovered that although silver will reflect less light than white, it actually has smoother surface and so defuses less light, and so it reflects more light beams in the desired direction.

So that is a start, now I'm looking for input from the experts.

And PLEASE!!! I want to stay friends with Bob, so let him be as right as you can.

Interesting question Carl, so I will help you a little with your research...

https://www.google.com/#q=What+reflects+light+better,+white+or+silver?

There seems to be quite a variance of opinions there, and the real answer is in what you are trying to accomplish! In the old school trick of tail light reflectors, as far as diffusion vs projection, the answer lies in the fact that a tail light reflector is a parabolic dish and will reflect all light into more of a beam, making it APPEAR brighter to someone directly behind you. With the front rubber bezel on an MK1, the shape of it is somewhat in the form of a parabolic dish, but not quite.

I wish I could find those old pictures, they showed which headlight APPEARED the brightest. If you remember we both had Silverstar Ultras installed and there was the third bike in the picture which had stock lighting, I think it was Wayne's. There were a lot of both Ventureriders and Venturers attending that night, and yes, I do seem to remember Run in bare being there, and Gambler, Will Burke (from Venturers) and quite a few others!!

I remember back in the mid 80's our company spent a good sum of money to change all of the fluorescent light fixtures from white to silver, and everybody immediately noticed that the work area seemed dimmer after they installed them!

Yes, we will always be friends in spite of differing opinions!!

PS I just remembered there being a 4th bike, an MK2 in the comparison, and I think it was Ben's...

Having just recently aquired my Temporary Learners Permit For Geezerdom - I would cautiously approach the campfire where you two lop eared varmints had your feet propped up, were cooking hot dogs and admire the both of you for your advanced :stickpoke: techniques.. I would shyly flash my T.I.P (not to be confused with my wife Tippy as she is not able to obtain her permit yet) - set down, grab a weeny stick, prop my feet up and go to cookin..

After listening carefully and learning from the pro's, I would probably take full advantage of the privileges afforded me by my newly aquired permit and say something like:

How's come you two lop eared varmints dont do the world a favor, (here it comes - one of my favorite """"'s from the movie Grumpy Old Men) pull your bottom lips over your heads and swallow = everyone knows that the best color for reflecting light is what ever color mirrors are.. Proof? I been by lots of silver, white, green, brown, red houses in my life and NEVER had one blind me in the sunlight BUT - had a little 4x6" mirror blind me so bad one time when the sunshine hit it that I almost crashed...

After setting you both straight - I would calmly ask one of ya to pass the Cat Soup for my professionally cooked dog, make a nice pass over that dog with the Cat Soup, take a bite, smile at both you varmints and say something profound like - WOW it's nice to be alive and be able to share all my deeply profound wisdom I aquired in the process of earning my permit and now be able to help my friends in situations just like this... :rasberry:

Hey, uh, Pucster, Temporary Learner's Permit is TLP, not TIP...

Yep,, sure enough,,,,,,,,,, must of also mis-spelled the word "swallow" somehow too or else someone forgot how to follow instructions :big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

I think I am gonna LOVE this retirement/geezerdom stuff and become downright good at it :stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke:

Sorry guys, I really didn't think that I was going to cause an all out war here,,, now it seems to be NY vs Mich,,,, this could be interesting though.

And Bob, I think this was before Ben days. Fact is we rode down by ourselves and back on our lonesome. Don't remember Wayne being there either,,,, buuuuttt, I could be wrong, it was early in VR days and we didn't know everybody.

Sorry guys, I really didn't think that I was going to cause an all out war here,,, now it seems to be NY vs Mich,,,, this could be interesting though.

Who you trying to fool you lop eared :witch_brew: - :stickpoke: - :stirthepot: Canookian varmint :biker:

You may be able to put a whoopin on some them youngens but me n Bongo - we know EXACTLY what you were up to!! :rasberry:

Please pass the martian mellows - I am still hungry :whistling:

***SIGH***

Rainy days are sooooo boring...

Snot rainin here,, think I might go outside and start production of Part 2 of Riding Like A Geezer... It's way to cold for a long distance run but that trainer bike should be fine..

If your wayyy bored - take a peek at this reverse trike.. A little research turned up the fact that the guy that makes these started to do so for "off roading".. Click on his other videos with that Endeavor brand on Ebay and you will find him two trackin a wing - pretty interesting IMHO.. Only thing is - looking at this Yam - it sure looks like no where near enough ground clearance for my kind of off roading - that front end is wayyyy close to the ground.. Your trike sits higher dont it?

Hey Carl,,, as I recall - your spyder is a lot taller too isnt it???....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122464239322?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l6026&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI122464239322.N34.S1

Mustard goes on a hot dog, not cat soup.

What were you thinking?:stickpoke:

Come to a Pucs Meet - Greet and Eat Meat and PROVE that which thou speaketh:fatsmiley:!!! Otherwise = meer sticks n stones:stirthepot:!!!

PS - actually I even like em naked - no bun - no cat soup - no mustard - no nuttin BUT,, gotta admit - mustard is a FINE dressin to put on em..

PS-PS = if we can get someone like @Drews to join in here,, he can probably verify that there is NOTHING like a Hot Dog with Puc's secret weapon thereon.. :scratchchin:,,, now that I think about it,, @Marcarl can probably verify this too - I know he has meandered into the U.S. for such treats but not sure if he tried the secret weapon..

PS-PS-PS = ya got a personal invite to come prove your point Marsh - be glad to have ya!!:guitarist 2:

Hey you all do know that you can get one of them dishlights in both white and silver:think: I remember them dish lights at work at kris kaye plastics.... They switched to white... In the warehouse first, found them brighter... I still believe the silvers was probably brighter maybe but directed the beam better, and reason white seemed brighter is maybe it spread the light better.. So it all want wasted on a spot on the floor...:essen_024::fnd_(16):

Snot rainin here,, think I might go outside and start production of Part 2 of Riding Like A Geezer... It's way to cold for a long distance run but that trainer bike should be fine..

If your wayyy bored - take a peek at this reverse trike.. A little research turned up the fact that the guy that makes these started to do so for "off roading".. Click on his other videos with that Endeavor brand on Ebay and you will find him two trackin a wing - pretty interesting IMHO.. Only thing is - looking at this Yam - it sure looks like no where near enough ground clearance for my kind of off roading - that front end is wayyyy close to the ground.. Your trike sits higher dont it?

Hey Carl,,, as I recall - your spyder is a lot taller too isnt it???....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122464239322?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l6026&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI122464239322.N34.S1

I wouldn't say the Spyder is taller than the Royal star. Height in the RS didn't change with the conversion.

Now road clearance might be different, only 4.5" on the Spyder, but I'm slowly working on that, Every scrape adds a bit more room for the next one.

If I had know about the Endeavor I might not have gone with the Spyder. Looks like a real nice setup.