IGNORED

Head Removal

All,

I have a 2000 RSV MM I bought it in November of 2015, it had 5682 on the dial (Yes that is correct) and I am currently the 4th owner of the bike. I noticed some fuel delivery issues, so I have removed and replaced the fuel pump (MR gasket) fuel filter, removed and cleaned the tank, then did a full tune up also (plugs, air filter, oil change and coolant change). This was the start of me chasing my tail. I was getting a loud popping sound for the right side and it was getting hotter than normal, so after some research, I concluded it was due to the carbs were set to lean and needed to be synced. Went to adjust the mixed screws, and noticed that someone had already been into them, because the caps were already removed (HMMMMMMM) so I turned them out the improve the mixture and synced the carbs. It helped but at this point it needed more attention that I am capable of doing. At this point I have about 7000 on the bike.

Took it to a trustworthily mechanic, who works next to my brothers shop. They did a compression check and #3 cylinder was low, so they scoped and noticed a burnt intake valve on the #3 side. Everything else looks perfect. They removed everything to the valve covers, and did an inspection. All the cylinders, exhaust valves, and intake valves, with the exception of that one look brand new.

So my question is this. Will we have to remove the entire engine to do get the head out, or can it be done while in the frame? I have read post about doing it on the 1st gens but nothing on the 2nd gens.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciative.

All,

So my question is this. Will we have to remove the entire engine to do get the head out, or can it be done while in the frame? I have read post about doing it on the 1st gens but nothing on the 2nd gens.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciative.

Gotta take the engine out. Might be able to do it with engine in, but would be more of a pain and you wouldn't get to do other stuff that needs to be done as well.

Gotta take the engine out. Might be able to do it with engine in, but would be more of a pain and you wouldn't get to do other stuff that needs to be done as well.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Even if you could pull the head in frame you remove so much to get to it you're 90% to having the engine out. Might as well pull the engine so you can do the head carefully and comfortably.