IGNORED

Royal Star Venture Trunk Rack

Liptoss

OK, my wife and I are new owners of a 2013 RSV and about to install a trunk rack. I have a few questions of other members with a Yamaha OEM rack installed. I realize other racks are available, but it seems this unit is the most enjoyed by other members on this site.

How often do you run out of space in your saddles or trunk and use the rack? Do you use the rack regardless for items you would never carry enclosed? Maybe a rolled up cover or rain gear? Do you have inner sleeves for your trunk and saddles?

Did you install the rack yourself, and how many years has it been installed and used? Any longevity issues such as cracks in base of trunk or weakening of hinges?

Did you use any "extra" material or procedures that were of benefit to the install?

I've read over the numerous other threads on this site and determined some specifics. I didn't see really any answers to my questions above. I'm just looking to mull a few thoughts over in my head to determine if I jump in and install this thing, or put it up for sale. I tend to like the look of the bike sans-rack myself.

Thanks

Hi and welcome, Yes we use the rack especially on trips. We have a bag that holds rain gear, extra drinks/snacks and sunscreen, tissues etc. Its alot easier to get to along the road or at a gas stop. You need to keep the bag weight within reason to keep stress off trunk and hinges, but I never had a problem with cracks or hinges on both 2nd gens I owned. Rack is still on my 06 and I put it on in 07. If you are going to take multi day trips riding 2 up you will need the extra space a rack gives you. If you are going to tow a trailer or use a hitch type rack you may not need a trunk rack. Guess its up to you what wins out...form or function.

Craig

OK, my wife and I are new owners of a 2013 RSV and about to install a trunk rack. I have a few questions of other members with a Yamaha OEM rack installed. I realize other racks are available, but it seems this unit is the most enjoyed by other members on this site

OEM rack is good quality

How often do you run out of space in your saddles or trunk and use the rack? Do you use the rack regardless for items you would never carry enclosed? Maybe a rolled up cover or rain gear? Do you have inner sleeves for your trunk and saddles?

We have the trunk and saddlebag liners but only use them when travelling

Did you install the rack yourself, and how many years has it been installed and used? Any longevity issues such as cracks in base of trunk or weakening of hinges

I installed the trunk rack at MD in 2011. No issues with cracks or hinges

Did you use any "extra" material or procedures that were of benefit to the install?

The metal strapping on the inside and outside spreads the weight

I've read over the numerous other threads on this site and determined some specifics. I didn't see really any answers to my questions above. I'm just looking to mull a few thoughts over in my head to determine if I jump in and install this thing, or put it up for sale. I tend to like the look of the bike sans-rack myself.

Thanks

See text in red

OK, my wife and I are new owners of a 2013 RSV and about to install a trunk rack. I have a few questions of other members with a Yamaha OEM rack installed. I realize other racks are available, but it seems this unit is the most enjoyed by other members on this site.

Did you install the rack yourself, and how many years has it been installed and used? Any longevity issues such as cracks in base of trunk or weakening of hinges?

Thanks

Congrats on your new ride! Cannot stress enough how important it is to take your time mounting the rack. Make sure you measure the drill spots many times to be sure there is no mistake. New travel trunk upper costs $422.28. Measuring is tricky because lid is not flat. Did mine myself and used heavy string to measure from many points. The trunk and saddles are ABS plastic and can crack. Follow weight recommendation on rack label and in trunk, 10-20 lbs. Be careful of not putting heavy loose objects in your trunk. They can crack the travel trunk lower. New lower costs $669.41. Cracked mine under warranty, and dealer did a one time replacement. Yes, luggage rack has metal strips which support the inside and outside of the trunk lid. FYI, my lid never cracked. :-)

p.s. Put masking tape on trunk lid to mark drill spots and check many times before drilling.

Edited by leo3wheel

Have never used the liner things. WE use "space saver bags". They are like a big zip lock you put your clothes in, roll and it pushes the air out. Keeps them dry and easier to pack. Plus as you wear clothes you can segregate and keep stinky ones separated. Carry a easy folding cloth type bag like your reusable grocery bag and you can put the bags in those to move into the hotel room. The luggage rack we used every year when we travel. Usually jackets. Pack the heavier stuff low, you need all the low CG you can get.

We use this luggage rack bag that has a rain cover built in. https://fortnine.ca/en/kuryakyn-deluxe-convertible-luggage-rack-bag-4162?gclid=CNmX4ZCX0NMCFQwLaQoditYLsw

When installing the rack lay masking tape out over the trunk lid and use a pencil to mark the location of the holes to be drilled. Don't forget to chamfer the holes on both sides to prevent cracks.

That's a nice bag Gary. I like it.

We've been using that one for a number of years Don and it has held up very well. The rain cover is easy to put on or take off and stores in a pocket on the bag. The price on the web site I attached is CDN dollars. I think I paid less then $50.oo U.S. dollars but that was 8 or 10 years ago.

Thanks

I just installed the Hopnel/Show Chrome rack on mine from Fortnine. Used tape on the lid, measured 3 times and drilled. So far so good. I also ordered the bag from Fortnine for longer trips with the wife. Need the extra room to pack her gear. Keep the bag under 10lbs and no troubles so far.

Congrats on the new bike. I also have a '13 RSV, the last of the line.

I also put the OEM luggage rack on the bike, which was fairly easy to do, but like others have said, measure carefully. That was the hardest part. I think i may have over thought it, as it seemed to take quite a while getting it lined up. I finally gave up trying, and got my wife to have a look visually to see if she thought it was aligned ok. She is a perfectionist, so i figured if it passes her inspection, it should be ok to drill the holes. If I remember correctly, the instructions say NOT to use Lock-Tite on the hardware, as I think it damages the trunk lid itself.

I also bought the luggage liners from Yamaha, which are ok, but I also got the trunk rack bag that is supposed to be for this rack. I hate that one! It is the biggest P.O.S. going. The shape and design of it make it hard to get things in and out, it doesn't hold much and the velcro straps that you are supposed to use to secure it to the rack do not line up perfectly with the bars on the rack. I ended up using additional strapping to secure it just to ensure it would not come off on the highway. I have since replaced this bag with another brand bag (Chinese knock off) that I like much better.

• 3 months later...