IGNORED

Apparently I've developed many bad habits over the years

SilvrT

Bad DRIVING habits that is.....

Went for my road test today to get the D/L endorsement to haul an RV trailer weighing over 4600 Kg. It involves a pre-trip inspection (which I aced) and a road test (which I failed miserably). Well, not exactly that bad and I do think the guy was being a bit "pikky".

Here's where I blew it....

Made a couple turns using only one hand instead of two. (all the other what seemed like 50 or 60 were fine)

Stopped on or slightly past the white strip a couple times ... should have stopped before it. (for 50 years I understood that that was where your front tires should stop at, or before)

I was sometimes either too far left or right in the lane while driving straight. I guess bumps, surface irregularities, side wind, and so on should have no effect on steering.

I entered the freeway before the merge lane ended and apparently wasn't fully up to freeway speed. Didn't seem to matter that there was NO traffic and I was only 10 km/h under and accelerating at the time.

We were approaching a turn to the right on a 4 lane roadway within the city. Things beyond the corner were blocked by buildings. I was in the left lane. He said "at the next set of lights, turn right" Those lights were just around the corner a ways. So I changed into the right hand lane and that's when I saw the "road work ahead" sign. I had no idea where exactly that road work was other than it was "ahead" somewhere. As we started to go around the corner, there it was, smack dab in the right lane so I checked my mirrors and moved back into the left lane, got past the road work and moved back to the right lane to make the turn coz the intersection was right there. I got docked for that. I should not have changed lanes n the beginning.

I think he set me up for that one.

Guess I'd best "shape up" before I re-test!!

At least I didn't run over anybody as I was making a turn, didn't knock over any signs or jump any curbs.

After taking that test and failing it and having observed so many other drivers and their "bad habits" to put it mildly, it makes me wonder how the h3LL those people are even allowed to have a D/L in the first place. It also makes me wonder why, why, why there is no mandatory re-testing throughout the life of a driver with a basic class license or for that matter, any other class that doesn't have mandator re-testing.

A Class C no longer required? I know there was no special test for those one camper trailers that were like 10 foot long. But I could have swore we needed Class C for 14 foot or longer at least that is what I understood anyways. Now that you point that out that is kind of scary because alot of people don't understand the off tracking of trailers let alone the vehicle there driving...:Bunny2:

A Class C no longer required? I know there was no special test for those one camper trailers that were like 10 foot long. But I could have swore we needed Class C for 14 foot or longer at least that is what I understood anyways. Now that you point that out that is kind of scary because alot of people don't understand the off tracking of trailers let alone the vehicle there driving...:Bunny2:

In BC, Canada a basic license is a class 5. To tow a travel trailer that weighs over 4600 Kg you need a code 7 endorsement. It's much the same as a class 3 which is for a single axle commercial truck/trailer combo.

There is no special class or endorsement to drive a 40+ foot motorhome .... go figure ???

Look at it this way. You learned a lot of good stuff during the test. Watch out when you drive in the USA because we don't get tested to pull a TT!

To a degree, you're right ... but I still feel the guy was being pikky.

It varies from state to state. A class C driver's license is the standard license for a car in NC.

In NC above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR requires non‐commercial Class A or B

We have drivers license then class e for cheufers license which is for delivery-taxi. Then class M, class C for 26000 lbs, then class B 26000 lbs air brakes, then class A is for tractor trailers... This is Missouri. Then of course there us endorsement which I have M endorsement

"Never ride faster then your guardian angel can fly."

NC started requiring a motorcycle endorsement in the 80's I believe. If you had been riding for a certain period, you could be grandfathered and not take the test which I did. If I ever let it lapse, I'll have to take the test. After looking at the very short test course, I would have to be riding a tiny motorcycle to pass.

Hey Silv,, you got kids? If so, experience has taught me that in situations like this you will be fine as long as you dont let them kids know whats going on.. Something about offspring and them knowing their dad made a boo boo.. I got booted off Ebay for a year years ago for selling antique BB guns on there.. Somehow the kids found out about it and they been calling me names like "Gun Runner" ever since - warped sense of humor young people have today..

Hey Silv,, you got kids? If so, experience has taught me that in situations like this you will be fine as long as you dont let them kids know whats going on.. Something about offspring and them knowing their dad made a boo boo.. I got booted off Ebay for a year years ago for selling antique BB guns on there.. Somehow the kids found out about it and they been calling me names like "Gun Runner" ever since - warped sense of humor young people have today..

Yes, Nina & I have kids ...She has twin daughters who are now 33 from her second marriage, a son who is now 44 from her first and I have a son who is 48 from my first wife.

Unfortunately I spilled the beans on facebook but none of them have said anything.... YET.

When I first got my m/c license I failed. I could not understand why. Then I found out that they always failed everyone the first time out. I had a class 4 (commercial), class 5 (standard), class 6 ( motorcycle) and was licenced for the race track. I gave up the 4 when they started mandatory testing every year and the racing one has long expired.

Then I found out that they always failed everyone the first time out.

I thought that too coz each time you take a road test, you pay a fee, in this case it's $50 even if you don't pass. So my thinking was "it's a money grab" but then I found out I don't pay anything coz I'm over 65. When I do pass, it only costs $17.

NC started requiring a motorcycle endorsement in the 80's I believe. If you had been riding for a certain period, you could be grandfathered and not take the test which I did. If I ever let it lapse, I'll have to take the test. After looking at the very short test course, I would have to be riding a tiny motorcycle to pass.

Yeah that.... I had a permit for 3 yrs, no restrictions. I took the test on a 150cc scooter, Glad I did there is no way I could have passed on the venture!!! I have taken it to there tiny course and started at the line where they want you to WOT it, then when you get your front tire over the next line you are to slam on the brakes and will not be docked for skidding. The first time I failed at this on the scooter so that is what I was using as judgement, I managed to get stopped about 2 foot farther then I did on the scooter the first time. Then I tried cowpucs schooling for riding slow, did that pretty well but I crossed the corner marking with front tire, second attempt I would have smashed the cone had it been there where they had it. The course is all marked out but there is just no way what so ever could you do it on the ventures, wonder if they would believe it was a Trike.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I think the guy was prejudiced. Because your over XX age and get to travel, he was jealous and want to delay you from enjoying your retirement. Come to Florida, a fellow drives maybe a mini van as the biggest vehicle during his life. Retires, buys a 45' or bigger motor home with air brakes and needs no kind of special endorsement. If I went to work for say a lawn company with a 20' truck that had air brakes, I would have to have a special endorsement for air brakes. Go figure. Good luck next time around

Ha! I drove for 36 years in the UK. Then I came to Canada & had to take a driving test! :mad:

Before anyone says it, it's nothing to do with the UK driving on the left, it was simply that at the time the UK :uk2:/ Canada :canada:didn't have a reciprocal agreement!

In the UK, if you pass a driving test in an automatic that's all you are licensed to drive, if you pass in a manual shift (standard) you can also drive an auto. Canada didn't mike that distinction, & obviously a lot of Canadians emigrating to the UK had only Auto experience & had difficulty driving a standard, (which is what most vehicles in the UK are)

So when I came here in 2002 I had to take a bloody driving test! I also lost my m/c endorsement at the same time (again no reciprocal agreement). I didn't bother for a number of years but eventually it bugged me so much that I took & passed my m/c test. I was around 54 when I took the car test & 63 when I did the m/c test.

Ha! I drove for 36 years in the UK. Then I came to Canada & had to take a driving test! :mad:

Before anyone says it, it's nothing to do with the UK driving on the left, it was simply that at the time the UK :uk2:/ Canada :canada:didn't have a reciprocal agreement!

In the UK, if you pass a driving test in an automatic that's all you are licensed to drive, if you pass in a manual shift (standard) you can also drive an auto. Canada didn't mike that distinction, & obviously a lot of Canadians emigrating to the UK had only Auto experience & had difficulty driving a standard, (which is what most vehicles in the UK are)

So when I came here in 2002 I had to take a bloody driving test! I also lost my m/c endorsement at the same time (again no reciprocal agreement). I didn't bother for a number of years but eventually it bugged me so much that I took & passed my m/c test. I was around 54 when I took the car test & 63 when I did the m/c test.

IMO, everyone who is a new driver should be required to learn on a standard shift. How else will they learn that the left foot is not for braking!!

I think the guy was prejudiced. Because your over XX age and get to travel, he was jealous and want to delay you from enjoying your retirement. Come to Florida, a fellow drives maybe a mini van as the biggest vehicle during his life. Retires, buys a 45' or bigger motor home with air brakes and needs no kind of special endorsement. If I went to work for say a lawn company with a 20' truck that had air brakes, I would have to have a special endorsement for air brakes. Go figure. Good luck next time around

In Canada you must have an air brake endorsement to drive anything with air brakes. Been that way for as long as I can remember.

However, no special license is required to drive a 45 ft motorhome without air brakes and that is ridiculous IMO. Manufacturers are putting more and more air over hydraulic brake systems into the big class A motorhomes these days as you don't need any special licensing for that. There's really something wrong with our system when both the government and the manufacturers make it that easy for any average joe with a basic D/L to operate these rigs.

Years ago I managed truck rental co. All our 5 ton moving vans were standard shift with 2-speed rear axle. Every renter got a "driving test" by me after a bit of instruction and if I felt they couldn't handle the truck or the shifting or both, they were refused or they would have to pay extra for a qualified driver.

I read an article several months back about transmissions in cars here in North America. By something like 2020-2022 you probably will not be able to by a stck car or truck under 3/4 ton. Its all to do with EPA and CAFE the federal fuel milage thing. They can make cars shift via the ECU, you on the otherhand shift when you feel best. Not good on fuel milage. Look around. Se if you can find a pick up with a stick in 1/2 ton. I love my Cummins stick. Oh and I am a left foot braker from way back in my drag race days.

Oh and I am a left foot braker from way back in my drag race days.

The problem with most "left foot brakers" is they rest their foot on the brake pedal and inadvertently activate the brake lights and it drives those behind them crazy coz they think the person is braking. This causes all kinds of problems.

Hopefully you're not one of those.

I read an article several months back about transmissions in cars here in North America. By something like 2020-2022 you probably will not be able to by a stck car or truck under 3/4 ton. Its all to do with EPA and CAFE the federal fuel milage thing. They can make cars shift via the ECU, you on the otherhand shift when you feel best. Not good on fuel milage. Look around. Se if you can find a pick up with a stick in 1/2 ton. I love my Cummins stick. Oh and I am a left foot braker from way back in my drag race days.

I have a 1500 Silverado, single cab, step side, short box with a 5 speed stick shift, doesn't get used a lot but I do like it. Don't know about now but in the past auto shift vehicles always returned worse mpg figures than same make/ model standard shifts.

The problem with most "left foot brakers" is they rest their foot on the brake pedal and inadvertently activate the brake lights and it drives those behind them crazy coz they think the person is braking. This causes all kinds of problems.

Hopefully you're not one of those.

I never even thought about that SilvrT, so often I've driven behind people whose brake lights are constantly flicking on & off, drives me insane, cause often there's absolutely no reason to be braking. Now I know the probable reason! They're using the brake pedal as a footrest. Thanks for that little snippet of info!

Edited by Kretz

Having a stick shift does not stop one from left foot braking. Many of the NASCARs have an idiot light to let the driver know that his left foot is resting on the brake. Those are highly skilled professional drivers. I also use left foot braking when driving a stick. There are times it appropriate to be using the brake and gas at the same time.

This does not mean that I think it is appropriate for everyone to use left foot brake. Most do not even know why you might need to or have the skills to utilize it.]

And then there are times where you need to use the gas, brake and clutch all at the same time, then you have to learn heel / toe, for brake and gas at the same time with the right foot.

What is right for how one drives is not right for everyone. BUT following the rules of the road should be paramount for everyone regardless of how you accomplish it.

I wonder just how many people have been doing certain things wrong for so long that they may actually believe it is the correct way or even the law.

My pet peeve on the road is people that must cross a lane to make a turn. like turning left onto a 2 lane road and heading right for the right lane and not the left lane like they should. Same thin making a right turn to the left lane of a 2 lane. Worst is when they do that and then make another lane change to the lane they should have turned into in the first place because they are going to turn again.

Agree a lot of left footers rest their foot on the pedal. Mine is only there or hovering in traffic. I dont ride them because it wears out brakes. If I did ride them I doubt I would get the kind of mileage out of a set of brakes I do. LOL

We have a large population that turn all the way across 3 lanes of traffic to go to far right lane. I mean how the heck else you gonna get over there to the Wal Mart? Or they ride in the left lane 10 mph under the limit staring at the GPS blocking a 1/4 of the windscreen, so they can go to the Dr.

Having a stick shift does not stop one from left foot braking.

If a person learns on a stick and learns to use the right foot to brake which is a pretty normal action, then they develop the habit of using the right foot, not the left, to brake. The likely hood of them to break that habit is minimal. That is not to say some don't.

There are times it appropriate to be using the brake and gas at the same time.

I would be very interested in knowing when that is. Maybe I've forgotten having done that but I probably did at some time ... oh yeah, when I was doing a burn out/smoke show LOL

And then there are times where you need to use the gas, brake and clutch all at the same time

Very few people would need to do that and those that would are generally highly experienced drivers who are doing something that most drivers would probably never do.

I wonder just how many people have been doing certain things wrong for so long that they may actually believe it is the correct way or even the law.

Well, after taking that road test I sure found out some things I was doing "wrong". Thing is, although it might be wrong it doesn't necessarily mean it is necessary. For example, is it really necessary to stop BEFORE the white line at an intersection as opposed to stopping ON the white line? Is it really necessary to get your vehicle up to full highway speed when merging onto the freeway when there is absolutely ZERO traffic beside or behind? Is it absolutely necessary to do a shoulder check over your left shoulder when doing a right hand turn when you've already ensured that the way is clear by looking before you started the turn and as you are turning? Some of these "demerits" against me are certainly appropriate for a new driver but really, after 50+ years of driving all kinds of vehicles including Taxi and Mini-bus, I think those things are nothing less than the examiner being pikky. Maybe he was new on the job, maybe it's true that they will do that just to fail a person for the first time around, or maybe their coffee fund was getting low ... who knows.

My pet peeve on the road is people that must cross a lane to make a turn. like turning left onto a 2 lane road and heading right for the right lane and not the left lane like they should. Same thin making a right turn to the left lane of a 2 lane. Worst is when they do that and then make another lane change to the lane they should have turned into in the first place because they are going to turn again.

YUP, those are mine too, among many others!

Well, after taking that road test I sure found out some things I was doing "wrong". Thing is, although it might be wrong it doesn't necessarily mean it is necessary. For example, is it really necessary to stop BEFORE the white line at an intersection as opposed to stopping ON the white line? Is it really necessary to get your vehicle up to full highway speed when merging onto the freeway when there is absolutely ZERO traffic beside or behind? Is it absolutely necessary to do a shoulder check over your left shoulder when doing a right hand turn when you've already ensured that the way is clear by looking before you started the turn and as you are turning? Some of these "demerits" against me are certainly appropriate for a new driver but really, after 50+ years of driving all kinds of vehicles including Taxi and Mini-bus, I think those things are nothing less than the examiner being pikky. Maybe he was new on the job, maybe it's true that they will do that just to fail a person for the first time around, or maybe their coffee fund was getting low ... who knows.
Stopping before the white stop line is a good habit to get into, particularly these days when cyclists are getting away with riding on sidewalks. There have been more than a few times when having just stopped, look left then before I can look right a cyclist comes whizzing by in front of me. You guessed it, not on the road, on the sidewalk. Coming from far enough away that they were out of the line of sight.

Don't know about the left shoulder check, perhaps it is to look for an opposing vehicle that is also doing a left turn but when turning right you should do a right shoulder check. Again, looking for cyclists whether riding in the bike lane or not. Not to forget, skateboarders.

Perhaps after 50+ years of bad driving you have earned a few demerits. :stickpoke: :rotfl:

It also makes me wonder why, why, why there is no mandatory re-testing throughout the life of a driver with a basic class license or for that matter, any other class that doesn't have mandator re-testing.
When I first got my license I was told that I would be re-tested in ten years. It never happened. At the time I thought great. :headache: Since then, however, I have often thought mandatory re-testing would be a very good thing but it never happened. Not sure but they might re-test at 85 or sooner if the old codger gets turned in.

Perhaps a good thing would be to add a safe driving course and test in addition to the fine for texting. Oh yes, and for not doing a proper stop. :happy65:

Stopping before the white stop line is a good habit to get into,

Ever since I can remember, the white line is where your front wheels should stop at. With that, most vehicles will not be into the cross walk ... but no, "common practise" has changed apparently coz now the front of your vehicle should be at or behind that white line. The white line is always somewhat back from the crosswalk line.

This is just one very small reason I feel every driver should be re-tested every so often. Rules change slightly over time, new things come into play. For example, they never had "roundabouts" back when I got my D/L ... it's no wonder so many folks have no idea what they should do when they get into one.

This "exercise" has made me see just how "bad" most every other driver actually is as I'm now noticing those "infractions" as well as all the others.

Don't know about the left shoulder check

I even got dinged for not doing a left shoulder check when moving left into a left turn lane from a left through lane. I mean, some old lady might have come whizzing up the median in her rocking chair ....

Sorry T, I don't see why drivers should need to be re-tested. Though I was at 53 (the examiner actually complimented me on my observation & awareness)

What IS required is driver education, I found it laughable here when suddenly roundabouts started to appear there was NO public education. People were just expected to know what to do. Coming from the UK I have no problem with them but I'm amazed the number of experienced drivers who are absolutely freaked by them..... it's not difficult!

Yield to those already in the roundabout (coming from your left) Do not change lanes in the roundabout, exit from it by signaling right before your exit. It's classed as a rolling right turn. They are far safer than lights or other junctions WHEN PEOPLE ARE EDUCATED IN THEIR USE (& that is what's lacking)

Most people do not see driving as a SKILL to be mastered, they see it as the quickest way from A to B.

How many drivers will pick up a driving manual, "highway code" or similar once they have passed their test?.. very few. As motorcycle riders we more than anyone should be doing it often, to be up to date with these changes.