IGNORED

1985 Virago 1000

Air Ready Auto

I have a 96 1100 which is not very different from the 1000. They are as reliable as the Venture. Won't take much to turn it into a little bobber or chopper. Not much good for two up unless both are little.

If you have to pose the question of getting permission then the answer is most likely no. :innocent:

Owned a '96 XV750 as my 1st bike. Peppy for its size but like previously mentioned not a great 2-up mount for any type of miles, or if you're a taller fella. I had to put a Mustang seat on mine as the stock seat pushes you forward onto the tank. I'm 6'2 - 240lb and forward controls were a must for my long legs, Mapman brand are lower & forward where Jardine is more forward but higher. Bike was made for over 10 yrs with very little changes (sound familiar?) so parts are readily available both new and used market.

Stock ignitions are VERY finicky if you don't have a good battery. They will run but get hard to start and run sluggish like its a carb issue... CHECK THE BATTERY 1ST.

I found a 85 Virago 1000 for cheep. Runs but needs some basic maintenance. Speedo inop and minor cosmetic issues. I have no experience with these. Thoughts? Should I anger the wife and bring it home?

Absolutely, if you want the bike and can buy it without making her pay for any portion of it then go buy it today. I have a friend with a "control tower" and has to "run stuff up the flagpole", it's really difficult to witness.

Go buy the bike, aint nothing wrong with twins, the Virago is a fine bike, they have a following just like the Venture. Maybe you wont always need to ride the 900lb Venture into town to run a couple errands. Life is short and we're not here for a long time, if you want it then go buy it. :stirthepot: If your an adult with your own money and you have space for it there is no reason in the world you should be dissuaded from owning a Virago if you want too own a Virago. :stirthepot::stirthepot:

Take this with a grain of Na. My alter ego is a mens/fathers rights advocate/activist. :happy34:

I dont think so,, I would use it as a "primer" for the next good buy on another Venture - maybe even a V-Max.. I would tell Tippy about it - tell her,, yea - its a cool bike - be kind of fun to have but - thinking if I wait I can find one that I could steal parts off from in a pinch and all that.. You know the routine Ready - build your image of superior intelligence and staying power over financial temptations in her eyes.. Then when another Venture appears in the garage to strip down and make a bobber out of (or, better yet - a Max) - that sweet little wife will look at there and smile and say to herself - he deserves it..

Of course,, if ya do all that - your wayyyy out of my league - Tip's been thru it so many times now thru the years that she just smiles and enjoys living with a motorcycle maniac named Puc = those big Virago's were cool scoots..

I dont think so,, I would use it as a "primer" for the next good buy on another Venture - maybe even a V-Max.. I would tell Tippy about it - tell her,, yea - its a cool bike - be kind of fun to have but - thinking if I wait I can find one that I could steal parts off from in a pinch and all that.. You know the routine Ready - build your image of superior intelligence and staying power over financial temptations in her eyes.. Then when another Venture appears in the garage to strip down and make a bobber out of (or, better yet - a Max) - that sweet little wife will look at there and smile and say to herself - he deserves it..

Of course,, if ya do all that - your wayyyy out of my league - Tip's been thru it so many times now thru the years that she just smiles and enjoys living with a motorcycle maniac named Puc = those big Virago's were cool scoots..

I love the max, no doubt it's heavier than a Virago, and once tuned correctly has tear jerking acceleration. It's a swift and blinding HD killer but not exactly a light flickable bike like a Virago. Yup, I love my Vmax. One thing I will say the same about the Vmax and the Virago is if you want one and have a place to park it go get one. They really are *****en' and so much fun, really you can get nice ones under $4k.