United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Question on why we ride

I ride because they are still making new roads.
    Ride on, but never let the world chose your roads....

2. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
    Loved my 1960 Bugeye Sprite too... But sold it when it became apparent I couldn't get out of it easily anymore.
    My first car was a 1958 Triumph TR3A that looked just like the one in the link. Loved the car, had electric overdrive on the top 2 but hated the side curtains, let in too much snow in the winter. All my cars were British sports cars except the last one which was a 95 Mustang GT. It had the most power but was the least sporty.

Casey got me thinking about the feeling of riding, doesn't seem to me that it's any more free than driving a responsive 4 wheeler with no roof. However, dipsy-doodling through the twisties has about the same rush as doing a downhill slalom and way better than any of my experiences on 4 wheels.
    Cheers, Clive

~ 90 Venture Royal ~ 96 xv1100 Virago ~
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." - POGO
    “The more you know, the more you know you don’t know.” - Me

4. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say ride your own ride unless your riding in a group then follow group etiquette rules. Safety first. I fill the same way about crazy show off riders as I do aggressive drivers, they all should be locked up.
    Bob the DragonSlayer
    NUIS HOMO EST INSULA
    (NO MAN IS AN ISLAND)
    NON ILLEGITIMI CARBORUNDUM (DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN)
    CARPE DIEM
    (SIEZE THE DAY)

6. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up on the waterfront and always had boats. I loved being out there by myself, especially in rough weather. When I got old enough for cars I always had British sports cars. Lots of winding roads around here to cut loose on. Eventually the sport cars got to be too expensive and I took up motorcycles. I loved the feeling of a good winding road and the freedom of being on my own. I eventually had to sell the sailboats but to me a power boat compared to a car while a sailboat compared to a motorcycle. I had an '85 Madura which was stupid fast for a cruiser. It had a 1/4 turn throttle and an 11,500 red line. It topped out at 150 mph and got up there in a big hurry. I eventually sold it. I figured I was getting older and might as well live a few more years. I got the 02 venture and love it but now I am even older and finding it a handful in the parking lot. Time to downsize. I love the speed and power but I also enjoy just cruising.

8. Likes cecdoo, cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's an old saying, but simply put...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	soul.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	109006
    stanG

83 Venture Royale
    "The view from the seat is always the best."

10. Thanks Bones, cowpuc, venturesome gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride for the pure thrill of it and I still can.

12. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why we ride. Good question. For me I will answer that now as I didn't in my first post. My wife will not let me sell it. I was it a bad crash in 72 and spent four months in a full body cast. When I was let out of the hospital I still had a cast on my left leg to my hip and wore it till early spring of 73. While in the cast I decided to rebuild the bike. All went well till I was able to ride it. I could not let out on the clutch. The fear of crashing hit me like a hammer so I sold the bike to my brother for $50.00. After the wife and I got Married we were at his house and she wanted to go for a ride but not with anyone but me. She talked me into trying and the rest is history.

14. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by camos View Post
    My first car was a 1958 Triumph TR3A that looked just like the one in the link. Loved the car, had electric overdrive on the top 2 but hated the side curtains, let in too much snow in the winter. All my cars were British sports cars except the last one which was a 95 Mustang GT. It had the most power but was the least sporty.

Casey got me thinking about the feeling of riding, doesn't seem to me that it's any more free than driving a responsive 4 wheeler with no roof. However, dipsy-doodling through the twisties has about the same rush as doing a downhill slalom and way better than any of my experiences on 4 wheels.

I loved the TR3. Low slung doors and huge hood!.

I drove my Bugeye through 4 Winters in Colorado so know about side curtains and snow. And yes, there is a similarity between old British sports cars and scoots. The top down ride, roar of the exhaust....ah... Good memories.
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." — Albert Einstein

16. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    Riding a bike certainly beats sitting in front of the tv. I had my Kawasaki with me in FL when I worked at Turkey Point. During those 14 months of 6 - 12s, riding my bike to work and back every day were the highlights of my day, especially when a Harley pulled out to pass a car with me and got left!!

Hey....I worked at Turkey point back in the mid 80s. I actually worked as a laborer for Bechtel and then as an Insulator for Shook & Fletcher....I used to fly on that stretch between US1 and the powerplant. I used to fly up Cardsound road on my way up from the Keys.
    (I was living in Key Largo, at about MM 96)
    Brings back memories.

18. Likes BlueSky, cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked at Turkey Point from Jan 11, 2010 until the end of August 2013. Both nuclear units underwent almost $2B in modifications to allow them to increase power output by about 15%. I loved the weather there. About 2 weeks of winter. I do remember riding to work in January in 40 degree temps. Loved the clear water, fishing and snorkeling! The first time I went fishing on the Captain Michael out of Robbies Marina in Islamarada they gave a few of us rods rigged for Grouper instead of bottom fishing rigs and I caught this Goliath Grouper.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	109008

1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

20. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Camos.....3 MGA's, 1 TR4A, 1 Austin Healy 3000 MKIII

22. Likes cowpuc, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncledj View Post

Hey....I worked at Turkey point back in the mid 80s. I actually worked as a laborer for Bechtel and then as an Insulator for Shook & Fletcher....I used to fly on that stretch between US1 and the powerplant. I used to fly up Cardsound road on my way up from the Keys.
    (I was living in Key Largo, at about MM 96)
    Brings back memories.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I worked at Turkey Point from Jan 11, 2010 until the end of August 2013. Both nuclear units underwent almost $2B in modifications to allow them to increase power output by about 15%. I loved the weather there. About 2 weeks of winter. I do remember riding to work in January in 40 degree temps. Loved the clear water, fishing and snorkeling! The first time I went fishing on the Captain Michael out of Robbies Marina in Islamarada they gave a few of us rods rigged for Grouper instead of bottom fishing rigs and I caught this Goliath Grouper.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/at...hmentid=109008
    ,, what an AWESOME thread turtle ,,,, after reading all those awesome responses - had me with anticipation of how I was gonna try and explain my personal unhealthy over done passion for motorcycles and the riding thereof when,, right at the very end - I bump into these two lop eared fellow job site varmints.... Didnt even get to "brass in" (they will get one) on my response and bingo - I find myself "booming out" (and that one) into another hijack.. Sorry,,, cross winds are blowing,,, will be right back... Do LOVE the thread though brother!!!

Old beat up Boilermaker here out of Local 169 in Detroit Mi you two varmints!!! Tiggin Tube was my plight,, did a fair amount of Chill Ring slaying too but mostly Tig.. Working for Foster Wheeler - Built a HUGE coal fired up here in Port Sheldon Mi - named "Unit 3" - and she sets right on the shores of Lake Michigan - North of Nuke down at Bridgeman.. Remember that song that introed the show Beretta? "where can I goooo, where the cold winds dont blow,,, now?" - well,,, the answer to that theme was DEFINITELY NOT Unit 3!! I LOVED riggin too (actually - riggin at 300ft is wayyyyyy more "fun" then welding anything - anyday IMHO).. Anyway, hanging up side down hanging buckstays and tugger pulleys on em to drag more up in -5 temps with that crazy Flyinfool over in Milwaukee dumping snow down the carharts was - interesting..
    Interesting facts -
    Tighening buttons on some cable while hanging spegatti tubing at 275 and my riggin buddy dropped a 1/2 inch drive ratchet.. I watched it in slow motion tumble toward the boiler floor 275 feet below while both of us are screaming "headache" to "Hillbilly" (a Tankee from Kentucky) below us who was send up the spegatti for us to hang.. Of course he couldnt hear us - he was standing up when the ratchet landed square across his hard hat - drove him right to his knees.. I looked at Pat - my partner - and said "we killed him".. Great big ol Hillbilly - STOOD UP - picked up his hardhat and the ratchet - looked at it - looked up at us and gave us the Middle Finger approval that he was gonna be ok and walked off to first aid.. About 1/2 hour later he was back with a new hat...
    My "push" (bossman to those who never been there) gave me a day off - PAID - one winter day when he caught me staring at the height of the stack and heard me say - "I WOULD LOVE TO CLIMB THAT".. Said go for it - WOW = straight up - iron rung steps 2 feet apart - had to tie off and rest a zillion times before I made it!! Took ALL day - got down just in time to Brass Out!!
    Watched a Crane go end for end into "the Pond" when a dirt wall let go..
    Caught a BUNCH of "Jack Salmon" in the warm waters of Unit 2 while down there - that fish made me smile!!
    Got nicknamed "Half Tube" for not waiting for a welding buddy to show up - couldnt wait no more for the Pot Head so I made the welds on my side of the wall and pulled the whole set of super heats out of alignment - didnt get fired = earned my nickname.. Long story but it all worked out..
    After that job finished and just before I got married and decided I didnt wanna travel (wanted to stay home and play with my kids) - I took work on a small boiler for GM.. Good job but, get this,, NO welded tubing (anyone wondering why I keep saying "tube" instead of "pipe" - Fitters work with pipe, Boilermakers OWN the Power Plant job sites and work with "tube") = ALL rolled!! WOWZY - shoulda seen my muscles after almost 2 years of that = ROLLING TUBE IS A LOT OF BULL WORK!!
    Never did the Nuke stuff - you lop eared varmints are brave.. Brother in law did LOTS of it though - matter of fact, he just recently retired from Bechtel as one of their higher up snobs ... He spent enough time at those Nukes that I always harrass him about his "glow" not being normal.. Of course,, like most old power plant workers - that abnormality probably has less to do with radiation than who he ran with but - THAT is another story..
    Anyway,, just thought I'd yap while we're waiting to brass out.. Later brothers...
    Half Tube
    Last edited by cowpuc; 04-21-2017 at 09:03 PM.
    "Puc = a rolling Troll we believe to be an escaped computer algorithm from the Ashley Madison website" - KIC, "Egads, I just realized I've been hijacking my own thread" - MiRider,"I'm not YammerDan"- YammerDan,"Dont point that thing at me when you say historic"- LoneEagle, "If Puc says it then it must be so - VentureFar, "Hail The Wiz" - ReinyRooster, "I'm just a filament of your headlights illumination" - Puc

24. Likes BlueSky, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I worked at the DC Cook Nuke Plant mentioned during their restart around the year 2000. During the Clinton administration, he appointed a woman to head the Nuclear Regulatory Commission and she forced lots of Nukes to shut down for repairs and modifications. A lot of nuke contractors like me earned lots of money because of her.

1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

26. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Hi Camos.....3 MGA's, 1 TR4A, 1 Austin Healy 3000 MKIII
    5 MGB's, Austin Healy MK1, and almost bought a TR2 in Texas, wish I would have. Was a member of SCCA back in the 60's...

28. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always wanted a TR3 but never got one. It was fun to watch the guy who had one drag his cigarette along the pavement at night.

30. Likes cowpuc liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast