IGNORED

Things my Mother Taught Me

SilvrT

These are the things I grew up with ... I can almost picture in my mind a time when each one of them was said by either my mom, my aunt, or my grand mother LOL

EVERY kid today should be taught this way IMHO. I especially like the one "Because I said so" ... simple, to the point, no discussion or argument. I think it instills respect.

Can relate to every one of those! lol

Thing is now, if a parent said (or did) some of those things they'd have people reporting them to the police & child welfare. It's just gotten so ridiculous.

Did anyone hear that crazy case in N. Carolina where a five year old while playing a game, was suspended from school for picking a stick up & pretending it was a gun!? She should have done like we did & used her pointer & middle finger!

You forgot compassion for others...

11."You'll put someone's eye out with that!"

& Anticipation:

12. Just wait till your Dad gets home!

Edited by Kretz

Had a spray bottle to get kids out of bed, Child services told me to stop it....

I learned years ago a sneaky way to get the dog to stop barking .... spray him with water whenever he does ... and it works, not only for that but other unwanted behaviors. Don't dare do that today ... animal rights activists and SPCA would be all over me no doubt LOL

I learned years ago a sneaky way to get the dog to stop barking .... spray him with water whenever he does ... and it works, not only for that but other unwanted behaviors. Don't dare do that today ... animal rights activists and SPCA would be all over me no doubt LOL

Yeah something about they may jump and hurt there selves.... I also used to get mouth washed out for cursing or back talking... so figured ok finger with hot sauce on the tongue but thats a big no no too!!! Jokingly tell your kids you gonna blister there hides and they take it literally and say I am telling..... anyways carry one with My mama says foozeball is the devil!!!

Yeah something about they may jump and hurt there selves.... I also used to get mouth washed out for cursing or back talking... so figured ok finger with hot sauce on the tongue but thats a big no no too!!! Jokingly tell your kids you gonna blister there hides and they take it literally and say I am telling..... anyways carry one with My mama says foozeball is the devil!!!

Years ago I got into a big fight with my nephew's now ex-wife over disciplining their kids. She had been reading all these books that suggest one has to sit the child down and explain to them all the reason's why they should or should not do whatever and have a meaningful 2-way discussion with them about it and then the child would totally understand and behave or comply or whatever .... After observing this "tactic" between her and her 3 kids aged 2 to 10 and the result of it (which had no effect because either the kids didn't understand any of it or didn't care) ... I, as well as my nephew, tried to convince her that her "methods" were not working and suggested she use some "old school" tactics instead.... such as what I posted. She'd have nothing to do with that, we were wrong, and she and the books were right and that was that. The two of them fought over this for a long time. It had to be done her way and nothing else. End result ... it was a major factor in their separation and divorce. I haven't seen those kids who, BTW are all grown and have their own kids now, for many, many years so I have no idea how they turned out or how they go about child raising.

Well in today's society we are supposed to do love and logic and no yelling at the children which by the way the children always tell the truth and the parents lie... If the parent don't own what they have done they are stripped of there parental rights however if the own up to it they face criminal charges and possibly lose parental rights. So literally that is where you stand it is sad. I would get beat with an inch of my life "bent over my step dads knee and whipped with a belt" or another common quote was you better get your ass back here or you won't sit for a week.. Or another was you better not back talk me again or I'll knock your block off..

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

My bro was one for "talking" & "discussing"... My nephew went off the rails mid teens, I tore into him, told him what a loser he was , how stupid & disgraceful his actions had been. I really let him know, Gave him some hard facts & pointed out the choices he had, dealt with him the way my I felt MY Dad would have spoken to or dealt with me under similar circumstances.

Years later he thanked me & said his Dad (my bro) always wanted to have a "family discussion" & reason everything out. He told me much later on in his life that looking back he really appreciated having a strip torn off of him. (didn't at the time) That it was really the first time anyone had really torn into him (verbally) & pointed out some hard facts, but it made him think about what he was doing & how easily he could become a real loser. He's now a great young man with a successful career etc.