IGNORED

Dim Headlight

Hello all!

First time poster here. I just bought a 1983 Venture Royale, and I love the thing. Here's the problem: I get it home (on a trailer, still a week away from my endorsement), and didn't notice that the headlight is very dim. I checked voltage and found I am getting about 2-3 volts at the headlight plug, but 12-13 at the fuse panel. I see a lot of stuff on here about re-soldering the instrument panel, but I can't find any info on how to remove it. Or what to solder once I DO remove it. I downloaded the service manual and owner's manual online but nothing there. I ran a jumper to the plug and it comes on nice and bright, so I know I'm losing power between the two. Would a permanent jumper work? Would it turn off the indicator light on the gauge cluster? Any ideas?

Second, no brake lights. The bulbs are good, but beyond that, I don't know what to check first. They don't work with either the hand or foot brake.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Matt

Hello all!

First time poster here. I just bought a 1983 Venture Royale, and I love the thing. Here's the problem: I get it home (on a trailer, still a week away from my endorsement), and didn't notice that the headlight is very dim. I checked voltage and found I am getting about 2-3 volts at the headlight plug, but 12-13 at the fuse panel. I see a lot of stuff on here about re-soldering the instrument panel, but I can't find any info on how to remove it. Or what to solder once I DO remove it. I downloaded the service manual and owner's manual online but nothing there. I ran a jumper to the plug and it comes on nice and bright, so I know I'm losing power between the two. Would a permanent jumper work? Would it turn off the indicator light on the gauge cluster? Any ideas?

Second, no brake lights. The bulbs are good, but beyond that, I don't know what to check first. They don't work with either the hand or foot brake.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Matt

Your Cms needs sodered go to the forumn and look for first gen technical library read only you will find all the info there about our bikes. Mine had same exact issues when I bought it. Mine is also an 83 but it is just a standard..

First thing to fix and eliminate guess work, would be the fuse block if it's still the original.

Clean and check the battery connections and the ground connections as well as to make sure the ends are properly and tightly attached.

Once that is done, you will have a better base to start from and may solve your present issue.

Let me add a few things to the great write up;

I also remove the headlight as it makes it a lot easier to get to connections.

Put a plastic wire tie around speedometer cable so it does not drop down thru the hole.

On the big connection that plugs into the CMS, after I plug it back up, I use a plastic wire tie wrapped over the frame above it to take the weight off the connection. This can be part of the reason these connections break.

Randy

Put a plastic wire tie around speedometer cable so it does not drop down thru the hole.

On the big connection that plugs into the CMS, after I plug it back up, I use a plastic wire tie wrapped over the frame above it to take the weight off the connection. This can be part of the reason these connections break.

Randy

O yeah I was trying to remember how and why the wire tie ended up on my speedo cable, I forgot what the wiretie was for running under the plug and forgot to put a new on there, Guess I will do that since its raining. THE SPEEDO Cable idea has saved some headache a few times.

Holy crap, it worked! 45 minutes and a little solder, and the headlight is bright and the brake lights work...sort of. They work with the foot brake, but not the hand brake. Hand switch bad?

Again, thank you all for the advice, I can't believe it worked.

--Matt

Holy crap, it worked! 45 minutes and a little solder, and the headlight is bright and the brake lights work...sort of. They work with the foot brake, but not the hand brake. Hand switch bad?

Again, thank you all for the advice, I can't believe it worked.

--Matt

Possibly but I would pull it out first and try to clean it up, My sons Rebel did the same thing until I pulled it out took it apart and cleaned it up and put it back together.