IGNORED

Heads and carbs question

Will the heads and carbs off of a 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe work on a 1996 Royal Star? Looked on Yamaha parts monster and Yamaha parts house couldn't find an answer. Dealer said he didn't know!

OK first things first, you need to find a new dealer.

Were talking with the parts guys or the service department?

The heads may fit but not entirely sure , but the carbs will not without a machined adapter plate.

The non Venture type Royal stars made from 1996 to 2001 used 28mm carbs, the Venture type Royal Stars made from 1999 to 2013, which include the 2005 to 2010 Tour Deluxe use 32 mm carbs.

Having said that, I know some folks have converted non-Venture Royals to accept Venture type carbs, so it can be done, but requires a decent machinist, new carb boots and changes to the air box or air filter, I think most that did it used single pod air filters on each 32mm carb instead of using the air box set up Yamaha uses.

If no one here chimes in with more specific information, go over to the DELPHI forums for Royal Stars and Ventures, I know there are some folks over there that did it for sure.

What I was trying to find out was, if you use 1999 to 2013 Venture type heads with the matching 32mm carbs and intake manifolds then you shouldn't have to use the adapter plates. I'm I wrong or right?

I see a dealer that says "I don't know" may mean that it is a good dealer. I would much rather get an "I don't know" than a yes and spend a lot of my money to find out it does not work, Or the other way and get a NO and miss out on a good opportunity. "I don't know" is just being honest. Honest is good.

I swapped out the heads instead of making some sort of boot modification. It works fine, except, the Venture heads have and additional frame mount on the front two cylinders. Now you have to buy new fin/covers. It all works, you just need to plan and source some good parts from the auction sites or local salvage yard.

I will be posting some more information and pics of the big mod/conversion that I recently completed. It is a variation to the "32mm carb swap" article. You will love the results. This is definitely not the same motorcycle I brought home.

2001 Royal Star Tour Deluxe

Venture Heads

32mm Carbs

'85 Vmax cams

Vmax springs

Dynotek ignition

Venture exhaust headers & aftermarket exhaust

It is MAXed out, and I love it!

Al

Edited by Algustaf