IGNORED

86' VR is my first real bike

Roosternthehenhaus

Years ago while in the Army I had a crotch rocket and that was the only bike I had ever been on. After losing that bike about 10 years ago to "fatherhood" I assumed I would be done for life with bikes. About 3 months ago my wife and I were looking at boats on Craigslist and I guess she noticed me pausing on pictures of cruisers. Then about a month ago my father in law drops off an '86 VR. It runs if you could call it that though it has been sitting for about a year. I went after it with seafoam and blew a bunch of garbage out of the carbs and now it will run so so with the choke halfway back. I have taken it around the neighborhood about 10 miles and everything seems all right. The automatic suspension has been disconnected and the rear shock has a standard tire valve coming out from under the seat. No air in it now. Any way to know how much pressure would be safe to put in. It appears to be the original type of shock but I really don't know anything about it.

In my limited riding time I think I am really going to enjoy riding this compared to the crotch rocket.

Welcome!

If a VR doesnt qualify as a real bike than I dont know what does. IMHO it has plenty of real world versatility. I have a Vmax for hills and Harley killing, and got the Venture for everything else. We'll need the deets, color, mileage, mods and a pic or two :beer:

If it sat for a long time and will only run with the choke partially on then there might be some junk in there still, maybe some seafoam and riding could clear it out, otherwise a "shotgun" carb cleaning might be a solid idea, which would also give you an opportunity to inspect the diaphragms for holes. Stay away from ethanol tainted fuel and you will have better luck.

If you have no idea what the history of the bike is you might just check date codes on the tires and do an oil change, a lot of us like the Shell Rotella 15-40 dino diesel oil, you'll find lots of reading on that too.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120753-Shotgun-Method-Karb-Cleaning

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?87572-Air-Pressure-Front-and-Rear

Anyways, congrats on the acquisition.

I will have to get some pictures uploaded when I get home. Been vacationing in Texas this week. First time I have been down here in March. Probably the best time of year down here. Been 80 to 85 degrees everyday and breezy. Back to the real world Monday but hey if I can get this bike running right then maybe next trip to San Antonio will be on two wheels.

It shouldnt be hard to get it sorted out. There are a few areas to look at on these creatures, I did some reading and found that my bike was no exception even though it had been cared for. It's fair to assume that a 30 year old bike will need some love and money to be right again. Luckily all the information is right here and it's a fairly straight forward bike to work with.

Have a good vacation.

Running on half choke is a tell-tale symptom that there is crud in the carbs still. Open the drain screws on the bottom of each carb when the bike is cold to drain out some of the offending gunk. Try to catch it before it runs all over the engine. As has been said, Seafoam and riding it like you stole it might clean it out also. As far as the shock goes on my 86 Royale I run the back air shock at the medium setting which is 42 lbs when the onboard compressor kicks off. Be carful when inflating it manually. It is not very big so the air pocket will fill rapidly. All the help one person needs is here at this site. Some of it good some of it hilarious but all of it entertaining. Welcome.:happy34:

I will have to get some pictures uploaded when I get home. Been vacationing in Texas this week. First time I have been down here in March. Probably the best time of year down here. Been 80 to 85 degrees everyday and breezy. Back to the real world Monday but hey if I can get this bike running right then maybe next trip to San Antonio will be on two wheels.
if you can't get it running on this forum it didn't come with a motor.