IGNORED

Another trip planned East.

cwhite123174

Well, we are planning our trip east again now. Enjoyed it so much last year, gonna do it again this year. Last year we rode Cherhola Skyway. Absolutely beautiful! Rode the Moonshiner 28, also amazing scenery. This year we will go further east. We plan to ride from Iowa to Nashville, spend the night there. Ride from Nashville to Robbinsville, NC by way of the Dragon of course. Spend the night in Robinsville and the next day I want to head up to Cherokee, NC and get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have heard so much about that ride! That day we plan to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway all the way through the Smokey Mountains to Ashville and come back through Maggie Valley and this time stop at the Wheels through Time museum I have heard so much about, back up 441 to Gatlinburg. Highway 441 impressed me last year! So much I want to do it again! We plan to end that day in Knoxville, TN. Get a hotel for the night and ride back to Nashville where the wife and I want to spend a night on the town, mainly Broadway St. Uber will be our friend that night.. 👍Spend the next couple days riding home. Looking forward to this ride. As I said earlier, we did a similar ride last year but never got the chance to get on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are not going until the 2nd week of August so I am certain this plan will change several times.... 😉

cwhite,

im so happy you and your bride are going to get to experience riding in that area again. I'm feeling a strong dose of jealousy about right now. Lol. My wife and I diD a 2 week ride out in that area a few years ago, and absolutely loved it!

Truly amazing riding out that way.

I have 2 suggestions:

1. The Blue Ridge Pkwy is a wonderful ride that must be experienced, but you need to know; the ride from Cherokee to Asheville is awesome, and your gonna love it, however, above Asheville is crazy good all the way to Boone, NC. It goes up to the highest point east of the Mississippi River. Don't leave that out. And Boone is a cool place to take a break and check out the shops and grab a lunch.

2. Force yourself to go tour the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville. This something that my wife wanted to do extremely bad, but I wasn't greatly interested. I agreed to tour it, but basically acted like a grouch on our way there. Well, it wound up being one of the coolest places we've ever been to. If you go, spend the money for the headsets. The guided headset tour is the cats meow. It gives history that is incredibly interesting. I'm serious. That place is freakin awesome!

My two cents.

Big Lenny

When planning time on the BRP, it is a good idea to check to see if there are any closures in the area you will be in. Right now the area between Asheville and Mt Mitchell is closed due to a rock slide. It should be open by the end of the month, but this kind of stuff can happen at any time. https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

I guess I am pretty lucky as I am only about an hour from the BRP and it is a very special place for me, a place I don't think will ever happen again, given the cost for a Federal Park. There is also some neat places to camp on the BRP and a couple of restaurants that I have enjoyed several times. They are a tad pricy, but not much above most places to eat around Asheville. As far as camping, if you are old enough to get the senior card, which is $10 for a lifetime, camping can be as low as $8 a night with hot showers. We like the Mt Pisgah campground in the summer as it is 5,000 feet up and always cool nights.

Instead of going to Knoxville for a room, if it is a weekday, prices are very competitive in Pigeon Forge and there are several good places to eat.

Randy

Thanks all. I have heard about the Back of the Dragon but not sure I can squeeze that in this year BUT that will give us a reason to go back again next year with a little more focus North East right? 😉

It was also suggested that when I exit the Dragon at the resort, took the Moonshiner 28 again and take 1246 (Rhymers Ferry Rd.) Out of Fontana Village Resort to 1247 (Meadow Branch Rd ) run it into Tapoco NC where it meets 129....kind of like the dragon ..except you go through small towns and less traffic. This has now been added to our trip. We will average about 6 hrs of riding per day. 200-300 miles daily. Not alot. Still want to have time to "do stuff".

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

cwhite,

im so happy you and your bride are going to get to experience riding in that area again. I'm feeling a strong dose of jealousy about right now. Lol. My wife and I diD a 2 week ride out in that area a few years ago, and absolutely loved it!

Truly amazing riding out that way.

I have 2 suggestions:

1. The Blue Ridge Pkwy is a wonderful ride that must be experienced, but you need to know; the ride from Cherokee to Asheville is awesome, and your gonna love it, however, above Asheville is crazy good all the way to Boone, NC. It goes up to the highest point east of the Mississippi River. Don't leave that out. And Boone is a cool place to take a break and check out the shops and grab a lunch.

2. Force yourself to go tour the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville. This something that my wife wanted to do extremely bad, but I wasn't greatly interested. I agreed to tour it, but basically acted like a grouch on our way there. Well, it wound up being one of the coolest places we've ever been to. If you go, spend the money for the headsets. The guided headset tour is the cats meow. It gives history that is incredibly interesting. I'm serious. That place is freakin awesome!

My two cents.

Big Lenny

I totally agree, Not just because I live in the southeast, I've ridden all over the country and the rides you are describing are some of the best.

Heck, throw some dates out and I may just try to catch up with you on some part of it.

Let me ask this... When I leave Franklin, NC, that's the day we plan to ride Blue Ridge Parkway. My plan was originally to head back north and jump on the BRP just north of Cherokee, ride to Asheville by way of the BRP. The northern part of the Back of the Dragon is only about 3 hours north of Asheville. Since I will be in this part of our great country, I prefer to avoid interstates from Asheville Tazewell, Virginia, the northern part of the BOTD. What would you suggest for a route from Asheville to Marion, VA? Just curious what my time frame would be to do all this. Anyone ride highway 91/133 in Tennesse into Virginia to Highway 16 up into Marion, VA? What's that like?

Also, I suppose I should mention that I plan to "Propose" to the woman I have been with for 3 years while in this trip, at some point. I have not decided where I want to do that yet though. So where along this trip. Some special area. 😊

Also, I suppose I should mention that I plan to "Propose" to the woman I have been with for 3 years while in this trip, at some point. I have not decided where I want to do that yet though. So where along this trip. Some special area. 😊

Oh AN ulterior motive, Give me a minute to think on that. There bunches of breathtaking views. Does she like wAter falls?

No. This is just a date I picked to leave. I have a daughter graduating in May and my oldest daughter is having my first grandchild in June so I want all that taken care of before I "pop the question".. Lol. Yes, we both love waterfalls! I stopped at one of Cherhola Skyway last year but can't remember the name of it. Bald River Falls maybe? It was off the beaten path but worth the ride.

If you plan on spending the night in Maggie Valley, the Maggie Valley Inn & Conference Center caters to motorcycles. They have covered parking for your bike. Nice tiki bar by the pool and entertainment. Excellent restaurant. We did the BRP last year from the southern end all the way to the north end. All 469 miles. The area you will be riding from Cherokee to Asheville is very scenic. Speed limits are 35 and 45 mph on the entire BRP and sometimes slower because of traffic. Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Hey these suggestions and plans are fantastic but in order to keep members from recreating the wheel each time one of us discovers a great route or place to explore how about we make a place here to save routes or trips so others can use them. There is a wide variety of experiences out there and regional experts who know the best routes and time of year to travel them. Of course the rider will use due diligence before leaving home to check all the information but it might prompt others to see something new or find it in their own back yard. :sign back to topic:

Hey these suggestions and plans are fantastic but in order to keep members from recreating the wheel each time one of us discovers a great route or place to explore how about we make a place here to save routes or trips so others can use them. There is a wide variety of experiences out there and regional experts who know the best routes and time of year to travel them. Of course the rider will use due diligence before leaving home to check all the information but it might prompt others to see something new or find it in their own back yard. :sign back to topic:

Don't we already have that? Isn't that what -Favorite-Roads-and-Destinations is for? :think:

I hope your going to try the dragon during the week. I might be safer. Weekends are packed with wana be moto GP guys, crazy sports car folks and occasionally a Semi. I had said occurrence to meet on of these on a Tue at the first corner going north from the restaurant/gas stop. It ended my day and damn near my life. They are not supposed to be there, but it dont stop them. BRP is great, as mentioned speeds are in the 35 mph range. No trucks or combination rigs allowed and it limits the RV's that can go there. Wheels thru time is worth the time as is the Biltmore. Especially if your a guy that likes architecture. Blowing rock is a small little place along the BRP thats kind of neat depending on time available.

If you are in Franklin overnight or have time for lunch you have to try the French restaurant in the gas station. Cafe Rel As for a nice spot for your special question. On the way around Fontana dam there are some nice pull outs and over looks.

Be safe above all and enjoy your selves.

I have stayed in Franklin a couple times. Mondays is kind of hard to find something other than chain food to eat. Seems all the locals take that day off. LOL If you do stay there definitely try out the Cafe Rel. They have a good sandwich called the Gotti. Another place to eat there is I think its called the Rail car or train car over off the north south road 441 maybe? Couple good Hampton inn, Comfort suites type hotels along with some mom n pop jobs on south end of town on north south route out of Ga.

Our plan is to hit the Dragon on that Monday morning around 9am...maybe earlier. I remember riding by Fontana Dam last year but didn't get to stop and check it out. In everyone's opinion, is Franklin ok for a stop or should it be Robbinsville?

Not much in Robbinsvile but I did have the opportunity to spend a night in the Quality Inn on the main drag due to weather. As I recall it was nice and reasonably priced.