IGNORED

Carb needles Jets?

I am getting ready for a rebuild of my carbs for my 89 VR and am wondering what people are using for replacement needles? The factory needle for the 86-93 Venture is part number 1NL-1490J-00-00, which is Mikuni # 5DZ3, which of course is no longer available from Yamaha or anywhere else it appears. I have looked at the Canadian Yamaha site and see the 89 VR carbs use a part # 1UM-1490J-00-00, but it appears this also is not available anymore.

I did order the Keyster Carb kit, K-1359YK, which is listed for the Vmax 1200 and the Venture 1300 and does include a needle in it. It is labeled Y338 but not sure what is specs actually are.

Just curious as to what people are using when rebuilding their carbs.

Thanks

Rick F.

[h=2][/h]

These were posted by Morley over on the Vmax site. I know this will be handy when I'm looking to retune for different heads and cams. Not sure if it will help you out or not but here it is just in case it may. Do the needles need to be replaced often, I thought they lasted forever and the tubes wore out more often?

IMG_20170130_164316214.jpg

IMG_20170130_164301041.jpg

My understand is they both wear over time since it is metal on metal. I believe the needles would wear less the nozzles but with 45K on my bike, I just wanted to change them out. I am leaving towards the Yamaha Vmax needles since they are still available and just ordering them. I can try them out and if I dont like them switch them out for my old VR needles. Least it is easy to do then just about anything else on the carbs.

Rick F.