IGNORED

Frozen rear brake pad pin

crowrod

That pin does not unscrew, it is not threaded, there is a hair pin type of keeper un the inboard side, just rotate the pin to where you can pull the keeper out.

You have probably spun it to where the keeper is locked against some thin. Try going back the other way just a little.

That pin does not unscrew, it is not threaded, there is a hair pin type of keeper un the inboard side, just rotate the pin to where you can pull the keeper out.

You have probably spun it to where the keeper is locked against some thin. Try going back the other way just a little.

Thanks for responding, this pin does unscrew it is on a 2005 Honda gl1800, not a venture

Thanks for responding, this pin does unscrew it is on a 2005 Honda gl1800, not a venture

OH, OK, that is very different, sorry I did not pay attention to the forum title the post was in, my 2013 has similar set up.

If you back the pistons all the in and shift the caliper to one side you may have enough room to get a pair of small vise-grips on the pin shaft and get it loosen, if not, you may have to disconnect the caliper and unbolt it from the bike and take it to a bench where you can work on it. With the pistons back all the way and the disc out of the way you should have room to get vise grips on the pin shaft between the pads.

If you can get a drill a hole where you can get a screw extractor in , but I would be hard pressed to try that on the bike, I would take it to my drill press to drill the hole, problem is the pin is not very large in diameter so you may end up busting the easy out if not careful.

I would not do this while the caliper is mounted on the bike either, but if you get it to a bench and are able to get the next size Allen to grab or maybe a torx bit to grab, you can try using a hand impact wrench on it if you have one, or sometimes just a good shot with a medium sized hammer onto the Allen driver while applying torque in the loosening direction will be enough to free up a stuck fastener. In this case you will probably want to be sure and rigidly support both side of the caliper, those parts are likely to be cast metal and very brittle, if not supported properly when wacked with a hammer you could bust off the "ear" the pin goes through, so approach this idea vey cautiously.

Another thought :Also if you can gain access to the threaded part of the pin, by depressing the pistons and shifting the caliper (on the bike) or with the caliper assembly off the bike and on the bench, try applying some liquid wrench, PB blaster or a mixture of acetone and automatic transmission to the threaded end, let it seep in for several hours, over night if possible then try to get something like a torx bit or something that will grip in the Allen socket and try to loosen it.

Good luck, keep us posted, I saw you plea for help on the GL1800 forum also, I will watching there for other ideas.

They make screw extractors that look very similar to torx bits for internal wrenching bolts. A torx will work ok too push come to shove. Make sure its tight and tap in hole. Depending on situation maybe a pencil torch and some heat to help break it free.