IGNORED

Rear brake pad pin removal

crowrod

I have a frozen brake pin, p.o. over tightened rounded inside hex. Now i can not remove it to replace pads any ideas???
The two brake pins are a fairly loose fit and should be able to be rotated using pliers to get the cotter pin facing up.

Since they do not have an "inside hex" and are not tightened perhaps you mean the hex bolts that hold the caliper. Getting those out will be much more difficult. WD 40, some heat and a lot of cursing may work otherwise drill off the head and replace.

The two brake pins are a fairly loose fit and should be able to be rotated using pliers to get the cotter pin facing up.

Since they do not have an "inside hex" and are not tightened perhaps you mean the hex bolts that hold the caliper. Getting those out will be much more difficult. WD 40, some heat and a lot of cursing may work otherwise drill off the head and replace.

I posted a similar response to his other thread on the same subject, turns out he is working on a Honda Goldwing, and those brake pad pins do in fact thread into position.

I had a similar situation on bolt on a car caliper. My neighbor (mechanic) flattened two sides out with a file and used an open end wrench to remove.

If his 1500 GL is like my 1800 the head of the bolt/screw sits in a counter bore no way to get to the side of the head.

If his 1500 GL is like my 1800 the head of the bolt/screw sits in a counter bore no way to get to the side of the head.

tried breaking it loose with vise grips today no luck,I am going to pull the caliper tomorrow should be able to get a small pipe wrench on it hopefully break it loose that way

tried breaking it loose with vise grips today no luck,I am going to pull the caliper tomorrow should be able to get a small pipe wrench on it hopefully break it loose that way

Next step is to try and find a used caliper off a trike conversion, as was suggested over on the GL1800 forum, maybe be readily available from newer 1800 conversion, not sure if those fit your bike. Some one on the GL forum will know , I am sure.

I take it you saw my post on your other thread?

Next step is to try and find a used caliper off a trike conversion, as was suggested over on the GL1800 forum, maybe be readily available from newer 1800 conversion, not sure if those fit your bike. Some one on the GL forum will know , I am sure.

I take it you saw my post on your other thread?

Yes ,I was offered a new caliper for $45.00 ,I might just jump on that and be done with it

I finial got back to my brake pin problem. YEAH I got it out!!!!!! ended up splitting caliper and grinding sides on the pin bolted the one half back on and I was able to break it loose with a 6 inch pipe wrench what a p.i.t.a thanks for every one input.

I finial got back to my brake pin problem. YEAH I got it out!!!!!! ended up splitting caliper and grinding sides on the pin bolted the one half back on and I was able to break it loose with a 6 inch pipe wrench what a p.i.t.a thanks for every one input.

Re-assemble it with the threads coated in anti-seize.