IGNORED

Certified Yamaha tech

Most, if not all, of larger dealerships up here practice the "no worky on 10 year old or older scoots" philosophy too.. Like most area's though, this creates a void that smaller shops have nicely filled. We even have numerous dealership mechanics who moonlight in their garages to pick up a few extra bucks.. Besides Craigslist - you might just ask at the service counter of a couple of your local shops (doesnt have to be a Yamaha shop) if they can steer you towards an independent who can handle the job. Also stopping an asking at smaller shops is not a bad idea either.. Word of mouth is also still the best way to find someone who knows what they are doing - searching for a "Certified" Yam Tech isnt always the only or best solution IMHO..

Could also run an ad in Craigslist too "looking for mechanic familiar with Yamaha V-4's" - may be worth a try..

Man you all have got to be frigging kidding me, I just got done at my favorite place in Joplin. All I wanted was tires put on my bike and they told me that they can not do it because the bike is more then 10 yrs old.... Also wanted them to run it on there dyno with stock TCI and My regulator rectifier TCI to see where the curves are and they wont even do that....

Man you all have got to be frigging kidding me, I just got done at my favorite place in Joplin. All I wanted was tires put on my bike and they told me that they can not do it because the bike is more then 10 yrs old.... Also wanted them to run it on there dyno with stock TCI and My regulator rectifier TCI to see where the curves are and they wont even do that....

Tell them that your policy is to not buy any parts from a dealer who won't work on your bike.

Tell them that your policy is to not buy any parts from a dealer who won't work on your bike.

Well the only damned reason I went there in the first place is cause the other shop can't get to the tires for another 3 weeks, So I am gonna try my hand at removing them can't be no difficult then the Rebel Can it?

My only question is do I have to take off the mufflers to take the tire off? and will it be Ok to put cinder blocks in the trunk to get the front tire off the ground? To get tires off the rebel I just lifted it and put cinder block under frame, I know for a fact I aint doing that with Tinker.....:Avatars_Gee_George:

Does anyone know where I can find a Yamaha tech in central Florida? I cannot get any of the shops to work on my 1996 Royal star. I want to do a cam upgrade on it.

Call Daytona Fun Machines at 386-238-zero888, ask for Roxie Torrey or Mark Torrey (husband and wife team that runs the service dept) tell them Steve Kowalcky from Edgewater recommended them, it may help. They have done all the major work on my bikes for the past 20 years, includes a 98 Royal Star, 07 Venture and current 3013 Wing, they have a good staff and stand behind their work.

With bikeweek on through this weekend, probably best to call them sometime next week, they are open from Tuesday to Saturday, 9am to 6PM.

Good luck. keep us posted.

C 98 Royal Star, 07 Venture and current 3013 Wing, they have a good staff and stand behind their work.

With bikeweek on through this weekend, probably best to call them sometime next week, they are open from Tuesday to Saturday, 9am to 6PM.

Good luck. keep us posted.

This is why Yamaha has not came out with a new tourer the competition is making them well in advance and allowing customers to ride them....:Avatars_Gee_George: and must be a darn good mechanic to be able to work on something from 1000 yrs in the future...:Avatars_Gee_George:

This is why Yamaha has not came out with a new tourer the competition is making them well in advance and allowing customers to ride them....:Avatars_Gee_George: and must be a darn good mechanic to be able to work on something from 1000 yrs in the future...:Avatars_Gee_George:

Well yeah, DUH, :doh: have you seen my Goldwing, it is light years ahead of the Venture. :rotf:

While a guy may be a "certified" tech, he may not know jack about that type bike. While I was out of work one of the places I was talking to about employment the gal kind of gave me a heads up. You can get certified by Yamaha but youll spend your time working on side by sides or jet ski. You have to figure they aint made a bike like that in many years, and since then they have sold what? Sport bikes so thats what the techs get experience on. Dont see it as that tough if you have done them things before, probably a PIA to get to but once your there... Set motor to TDC, tie wrap the chains up so they dont fall in the motor. Release the chain tensioner and start unbolting from middle out on caps. Bad thing is it will probably take a couple times thru to get the valve clearances right as your changing cams and the wear on them will be less if they are new. @PUC could probably do it in a day.

While a guy may be a "certified" tech, he may not know jack about that type bike. While I was out of work one of the places I was talking to about employment the gal kind of gave me a heads up. You can get certified by Yamaha but youll spend your time working on side by sides or jet ski. You have to figure they aint made a bike like that in many years, and since then they have sold what? Sport bikes so thats what the techs get experience on. Dont see it as that tough if you have done them things before, probably a PIA to get to but once your there... Set motor to TDC, tie wrap the chains up so they dont fall in the motor. Release the chain tensioner and start unbolting from middle out on caps. Bad thing is it will probably take a couple times thru to get the valve clearances right as your changing cams and the wear on them will be less if they are new. @PUC could probably do it in a day.

I agree with you on the techs. The Yamaha certification doesn't necessarily mean anything.

MiCarl yup kind of same in automotive field. One of my students maybe ayear out of a 2yr program is certified Ford tech in a coue things. To me he aints been in field long enough, but the dealership must feel there is potential there to spend money for school. But just aint no school like school of hard knocks and experience.

.... This is what I have been saying for years... I have the experience just not the piece of paper.... Also things are constantly changing by the time you go to get "Certified" to do something we are already on new tech...

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Most shops that sell new bikes have the 10 year policy. If you go to the shops that only sell used bikes you stand a better chance. I found one local shop where my 88 is one of those "new" bikes. The place looks more like a museum that does bike work. He changed out my tires, new valve stems and balance for $50. I had to bring the tires in to him along with the new tires I wanted. He wanted another $250 to take the tires off the bike.

I had to put 80lbs of junk in the trunk (I used barbell weights) to hold the front tire off the ground. Make sure that you put a ratchet strap from the center stand to the frame to be sure it does not collapse when you set the forks down on a piece of wood to get the rear tire up in the air so you can pull it off.

Dang that's alto of weight maybe ill get the kids there sand they want, the shop charges more if I bring my own tires.. Now if I go to dealer they will do it for 50 for both and that is the only way they will touch it...

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

The local shop here in Baton Rouge , has a 10 year policy, but, it is on a case by case basis. After looking my 2005 over, they said they would be MORE than happy to perform any work on it. They say a lot of people have tried to bring in REALLY neglected bikes, and it works out to be nothing but trouble for them.

No Luck, the only place that will attempt to do the cam change wants 90 bucks an hour with 15 hours to do the job with no guarantees. They say it might take 20 hours. Plus parts. Looking at 3800 dollars!!! I didn't give that much for the bike! Almost 400 dollars to change the rear tire.