IGNORED

Oil leak out of water pump?

Hello Ive been putting some miles on my old 83 Venture, and there has been a lot of oil leaking out the last year, it seems to be coming from the water pump overflow valve, if thats even a thing. Im not sure would love any help in stopping the bleeding!

IMG_0461[1].jpgIMG_0460[1].jpgIMG_0458[1].jpg

There are two seals back there. One on the pump side to keep coolant in the pump and one on the engine side to keep oil in the engine. That drain is between them so you find out you have a bad seal before filling the crankcase with coolant.

You need to replace the seal.

awesome thanks guys, I havent been in there yet, maybe Ill replace the plastic fan when I get in there, most of my oil leak was coming from the oil filter I didnt have it on tight enough but I noticed the water pump and thought I would ask. Very good replies, thanks again.

It sure looks like the oil is actually coming from above somewhere that is out of the picture frame. The oil is running all the way down the side of the engine case and the water pump housing. It might just be something as simple as you over filled the oil in the crankcase. Over filled oil will blow up into the air cleaner box and then drip back down onto the engine. The oil level in the sight glass should not be more that the bottom fill mark with the bike upright on a level surface.

Clean everything up and then keep a close eye on it to see where the oil leak is starting from.

Finding the source of an oil leak in and around a convoluted engine is a challenge. I've found that engine oil dye helps, a lot. The product I've used is Tracer Products TP34000601 UV Fluorescent Leak Detection Dye. Add that to your engine crankcase and then run the engine. Then shine a UV flashlight anywhere oil appears. It will appear a greenish colour. You'll then be able to trace the oil stream back to its origin. Yellow lens safety glasses help. The dye and flashlight are available on Amazon, and at various auto supply doors I would think.

Edited by gaj1917