IGNORED

Sirius and aftermarket pics

just looking for pictures folks, here is my mess to re-wire this weekend and i was thinking about adding one of my sirius radios also.

scoured the net for pictures of our favorite rides but came up short.

so please post your after market setups

FB_IMG_1489061860467.jpg

Well, you don't have your year and model of your scoot under your name but the pic tells me it's a Venture Standard...not a Royale so you can do whatever you want with the space as there was no radio there to begin with. I would trace the wiring....or tear it out and start over. That would be my way. I don't even know if this is your work or what the PO did. So....

Add 4inch speakers in the areas provided, add a marine type radio with built in XM or a regular radio with an additional XM receiver that you can plug into the radio's aux input. Build a nice cutout for your radio(s) and plug them in. Usually mounted vertically (as you sit on seat) as your P.O. did... there is plenty of room down below for wiring. Easy to run the speakers wires inside the fairing, behind the headlight to the right side. Power and ground wires can run directly through the left side panel into the center by the fuse box...and add an aux fuse panel to take up any other accessories you may want to add. Also, since you are in there, if the radio you add doesn't have a headphone out, you can make your own and place it on the panel as well in case you want to run down the road listening to earplugs. Blue tooth the same. With some marine radios now capable of XM and Bluetooth, it's pretty easy now to add wireless listening to a bike.

As far as a mount. The plastic on the bike is ABS. You can order a sheet of it (12inch square), black, maybe 1/8th inch thick for a few bux... or two or three...for later repairs. Interstates Plastics I've used as a source. ABS is very easy to cut and glue using ABS type glue that chemically bonds (kind of like chemical welding) the pieces together. Even a soldering pencil works at welding the stuff together. So you can make a panel that fits right in the hole, if that hole doesn't work for your radio. While you are at it, make a glove box for the right side panel!

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Abs-Black-Extruded-Sheet-ABSBE~~ST.php?vid=20170310153632-4p

I bought 3 sheets and have used it to make repairs around the scoot. You can buy it cheaper elsewhere, but this stuff is premium quality. Lots of info on it on the page as well.

The XM radio antenna usually has a pretty long wire, so the antenna can be mounted anywhere. I have a unit on my 2nd gen RSV. The mount for the radio is on the left handlebar and power and antenna runs to the front fairing. My antenna is mounted inside the fairing and works pretty well. It will cut out and lose signal if the bike is pointed in the wrong direction, masking the antenna from the satellite. Since you are starting from scratch, you could build the radio mount into the panel area or use a small, short aftermarket mount bolted to the panel so you can remove radio while you snack or take a break. Easier than the handlebar stuff for sure. I would go with a marine unit though that has everything built in.

Should be really easy if you start over...do it your own way.

Lots of info on here for searching....lots of guys have added their own stuff...tons of ideas. Search away and hopefully you will find pics as well.

Keep us posted as we like to see where others go with their scoots!

Hope this helps...

david

Edited by videoarizona
xm info

20170310_141049.jpg

The above is the left side of my 89 Venture Royale. Tape deck on top, radio in middle and lower tiny panel is volume, auto volume, intercom volume and tone.

20170310_141058.jpg

Above is the right side. Lid covering the coolant overflow bottle, CLASS system for the air suspension and the bottom is the CB radio.

Here is where you can add a really nice glove box! Lots of room.

Sorry it took a while for me to get the pics to you...but this is what the Royale looks like...I won't add the XM radio to this bike. Just don't need it.....But if I did, it would be on handlebar left side...with cables running down toward the fuse box...and antenna on rear trunk rack.

david

20170310_141049.jpg

thanks folks,

sorry bike is 1983 venture royale, the coolant (right side) is the glovebox, left side was the job previous owner did :)

i design wire harnesses for a living so i was shocked with what i saw.

new speakers and radio are wired, going to order some of the ABS plastic you recommend to fab up a cover to hide the hack job on the left panel.

thanks folks,

sorry bike is 1983 venture royale, the coolant (right side) is the glovebox, left side was the job previous owner did :)

i design wire harnesses for a living so i was shocked with what i saw.

new speakers and radio are wired, going to order some of the ABS plastic you recommend to fab up a cover to hide the hack job on the left panel.

Hmmm...the Royale came with radios and stuff on both sides. I still think it's an 83 Standard. Unless someone really took her apart. You might send your VIN to @Prairiehammer here. He collects the vins in our database...and he can tell you more about your bike.

Understand about the harness.....Yikes!

Is there any more room with the coolant bottle or are you saying there already is a glovebox there? Either way...enjoy making the scoot your own! Our Ventures have a heck of a wiring harness, so don't be surprised if you find more "fun" under the hood. Keep the pics coming.

Hmmm...the Royale came with radios and stuff on both sides. I still think it's an 83 Standard. Unless someone really took her apart. You might send your VIN to Prairiehammer here. He collects the vins in our database...and he can tell you more about your bike.

Understand about the harness.....Yikes!

Is there any more room with the coolant bottle or are you saying there already is a glovebox there? Either way...enjoy making the scoot your own! Our Ventures have a heck of a wiring harness, so don't be surprised if you find more "fun" under the hood. Keep the pics coming.

i stumped prarie LOL

my bike was made in japan for mexico, it has an 11 character VIN LOL

then sold in canada now back to the USA

there is a glove box on the right side with coolant, i will get it together in the next month and post pics of the final build :)