IGNORED

Chrome stock air boxes

Only ones I have ever seen were offered through Yamaha branded accessories, they came as ball milled or smooth and required you to change over to the K&N filter elements.

Yamaha is not producing accessories for the Royal Star line anymore but you may find some left overs or used take offs on EBay or various salvage yards.

This is what you are looking for, http://www.motosport.com/yamaha-star-accessories-billet-air-cleaner-cover, good luck in your search.

• 2 months later...

If you already have this setup with the chrome covers and K&N filters ,can you replace the K&N filters with the stock paper filters? Why was it required to change to K&N filters if you bought the chrome covers? Just bought my bike and it already had this setup installed with the K&N filters was wanting to convert back to stock filters but would like to keep the chrome covers installed if possible.

Just a question, if the K & N's are in good condition why would you replace them (for stock paper elements) rather than just cleaning & re-oiling?

I think the engine will live longer with the stock filters, the K&N's in my opinion are for performance more air flow and in my opinion more dirt into the engine so am going to put it back the way it was engineered.

I think the engine will live longer with the stock filters, the K&N's in my opinion are for performance more air flow and in my opinion more dirt into the engine so am going to put it back the way it was engineered.

I agree to a certain degree. With my Jeeps I went back to paper elements from K&N and have had less problems with sticking Idle Air Control valves. The K&N was allowing some fine dust into the intake track along with the oil from the filter and was gumming up... BUT this was in a very dusty environment. In a street driven vehicle I did not have these issues when using a K&N.

The air filter is not the limiting factor for flow in the Royal Star Tour Deluxe (and Venture) V4. Its all the 90 degree turns in the intake tract between the filter and the carbs. The paper filter flows all the air this engine will need. I think you can use the stock filter with the chrome covers if you want and like the chrome look. I believe you just need to add some foam weather strip to shim some extra distance. Thread on it here somewhere.