IGNORED

'08 RSTD fuel warning

So, bought my dream bike, a 2008 RSTD a couple of years ago and never had a hiccup until early this year. Had two surgeries last year starting in July of '16. Ran the bike for an hour the night before surgery and filled the tank with fresh 87 octane and StaBil. Started the bike 3 times before the end of the year for 5 or 10 minutes each time. When I tried to start the bike in Feburary, no joy. Recharged the battery and tried again. After 3 or 4 more times, I got the bike to barely idle with the choke fully out. Add any fuel or reduce choke and she died. Drained tank, replaced fuel line, filter, then pump all to no avail. The pump was a universal 2.5 - 5 lb Airtex unit from Rockauto for under $50. Worked perfect, but had to use some additional fittings to fit right...But she still wouldn't run except at full choke, no throttle...Finally broke down and towed her to Jerry's Precision in Centerville, GA. Great guy and former racer. If you're in the area give him a call or stop in! When he got to it on the worklist, he called me. Seems the fuel had gunked up the jets and stuck the floats. No visible seal damage, but it will be a few days. When I saundered into the shop a couple of days later I found another RSTD and a Venture that came in right behind mine with the same issues!! The Venture had blown at least one seal though. So hope to have her back before long good as new and only $575 lighter in the wallet for ultrasound clean, polish and re-synch. More than I wanted to spend, but beyond my expertise or toolbox......The real warning is to use a decent treatment occasionally (SeaFoam or Marvel Mystery Oil) and don't let the bike go more than a week or two without running fuel thru her!! Best wishes for happy motoring!! Jerry

I believe many have used Sta-bil successfully. I however do not use it. I do use Seafoam. I also have never had an issue when I have. I will say that a couple years, as it takes a couple times for me to learn a lesson, I thought I could get away with not using it and found out the hard way that carb cleanings are expensive.

There are other products... others may also make suggestions as to their favorites too.

For as long as Big Daddy Government stays out of my premium I will pay the few extra dimes and run shots of fuel treatment in my tanks, I have an app on my phone that tells me where I can get Non-Ethanol Premium Gas from. I just refuse to put that crap in my Small Engines. But If I have too put Ethanol in my Tank you better believe I double down on the treatments!!! If not more. I so far have gotten lucky and only had to get Ethanol once because the gas stations were out of the Premium.

I believe many have used Sta-bil successfully. I however do not use it. I do use Seafoam. I also have never had an issue when I have. I will say that a couple years, as it takes a couple times for me to learn a lesson, I thought I could get away with not using it and found out the hard way that carb cleanings are expensive.

There are other products... others may also make suggestions as to their favorites too.

I used to use Sta-Bil on my outboards. But after this past year... where I had to rebuild both carbs on both motors.... No more.

It's simply not good enough for long term use. The crap gas obviously does a better job of fouling my carbs than Sta-bil does in protecting them!

Edited by videoarizona
Verb tense

I see now they make an "ethanol" formula of sta-bil. I dont have a clue if it really is any different from the regular stuff or not. Maybe its just the pretty green bottle. Around here its probably cheaper to take a can to the airport and buy some avgas 110 lo lead

I see now they make an "ethanol" formula of sta-bil. I dont have a clue if it really is any different from the regular stuff or not. Maybe its just the pretty green bottle. Around here its probably cheaper to take a can to the airport and buy some avgas 110 lo lead

It's for E-85 and if anyone reads the warnings it tells you not to use any gas treatments when running E-85.