IGNORED

Aftermarket TCI unit, From regulatorrectifier.com

So I did get the new TCI in today, I decided to give this TCI unit a shot. Honestly I will say first shot on it seems to be pretty darned good but will continue to post to this thread about the unit. I know the IGNITEC units are sworn by on this site, But it would be nice to know if there is a true alternative out there, so here is 4 short videos of First hook up, ride and testing of the Unit. This Is on my 1983 Yamaha Venture, Now when I went to get a used one I would have normally paid $300.00 that is what he normally charges for used TCI units, so why not pay $67.00 more and get a new one with a 3 year warranty. I have the email from the guy posted some where.

It would be very cool to have alternatives. I got an Ignitek from another member for a really decent price so I'm no longer looking for one but before I found that one (Thanks Heather!) the prospect of getting anything other than stock was a real PITA.

My questions are out of curiosity because I have still have a stock TCI in my Vmax.

Is it flashable, can you alter or install different mapping?

Is it safe with resistorless COPS?

Looks awesome, thanks for the great ride review!

those are all very good questions, This came pre-programmed. But being it is digital I am sure you probably could But I am not tech savy at all. Which is why I went this way for one, then the other reason is because I was nominated to test this one kinda.... No one else had tested it. I ordered it Thursday morning and it got here this morning via UPS. I have been riding around all afternoon and evening now. Being as noone I know has tested this I simply put my TCI from the box wrapped up in paper in my fuel sending unit box and have it in my saddlebag just in case. I would really love to know where it gets its curve but more info on this unit can be found at the site http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1983-1985-1989-Yamaha-XVZ12-Venture-1200-CDI-Ignitor all I know is it seems to do as they describe. But I like how small it is which means I can run my two blocks together in one piece without it jamming up my False tank cover.

I assume you rerouted the vacuum line for the "boost sensor" (vacuum advance sensor) from the carbs to manifold vacuum? The '83 only was set up to work with carb vacuum and the advance is 180 degrees out of phase with all the other years, so unless that aftermarket TCI is specifically for the '83, unless you change the vacuum over it will try to retard timing when you actually need it to advance...

I assume you rerouted the vacuum line for the "boost sensor" (vacuum advance sensor) from the carbs to manifold vacuum? The '83 only was set up to work with carb vacuum and the advance is 180 degrees out of phase with all the other years, so unless that aftermarket TCI is specifically for the '83, unless you change the vacuum over it will try to retard timing when you actually need it to advance...

Get ready for this one bongo, I showed it in the video the wire running from that vacuum sensor well its completely missing. I also talked about that in the video when I was riding. But I plan to cap it for now I let it idle for 30 minutes hot rodded it all afternoon and the temp is where it normally runs...

The bike will run fine and rev up, it is when it is under a "load" when the proper advance comes into play... I will admit I didn't look at the videos yet...

Yeah me and fool talked about that, so tomorrow I will run the test at about 35 in fifth gear and wot and see what happens but I will have to go out past lime kiln to run the test and try to pull the hill in 5th gear which under normal circumstances it did fine from 45 at bottom to 60 at the top...

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

Ok I went out and performed the test on the bike, 2nd gear takes offs, 3rd gear from 15-45. Also 5th Gear 30mph WOT, Started bottom of hill at 45, I made a video it is 24 minutes long will post as soon as it gets done uploading. I will try to note where the *load test* took place in the video. Any thing else you guys can think of I will do as long as it does not involve blowing up my bike!!

on a side note, I replaced my fuel sending unit with a NOS yesterday, I took the new one apart just to see how it was supposed to look on the inside. Well my observation of it appeared different then what came out of my tank, I believe the winding piece was a little thicker and the position of the tangs on the winding were different. Maybe Updated version of the fuel sending unit?

At 6 minutes is where I do the test fool suggested 30mph in 5th gear, Wide Open Throttle it... then at 7:10 I pull hill at 45 in 5th gear and increase my speed. At 8:40 I turn and pull 3rd gear from 15-20mph at 11:00 Oopsy thought it was me at first which is why I turned off on this road. And as I go to take off I ended up getting wheel spin and the bike slid on me a little bit. at 12;43 I do the 5th gear WOT again. Finally at 15:10 I take a detour thru Morris Park. and 21:38 I pull a pretty good hill in 3rd gear. pulling the hill on the way to my house at 22:58 I slow to 20 and pull it in 3rd gear. And 23:56 I show the temp at which i have been running. Just so you know I paid $367.99 for this unit. It comes with 3 yr warranty, and have told me if adjustments need made they could do that, I have to email tech guy to see if it is safe to use the COPS with it but I would almost bet yes, being it has built in protections from over voltage and other failure. But I want to be for definate sure on this unit, Ride safe will follow up just to say yep it still works see how it holds up. No more real in depth with it unless someone else has other testing Ideas.

I also have an '83 VR that I just purchased an Ignitec for. It came pre-programmed with plug and play adapter, MAP sensor is already wired (they call it IAPS), and serial and usb interfaces, user manual and program to customize any way I like. As soon as my back lets me, I will do some similar tests "out of the box". (I am aware that on the '83 you have to change the MAP sensor port). All of the above shipped to my door for $193!

Ship time was less than 10 days. Hopefully this is all it takes to get the '83 running. I followed the manual that says test everything else and if its all good, then the TCI is bad!

That is really good price, so to make sure I understand the ignitech TCI and pressure sensor is under $200.00 for the bike? I was under the impression it would be $262 for just the box and map sensor the last time I got one was for my 96 GMC Jimmy was $95 after tax. Ummm where did you get yours from?

It sounds like the Ignitek and the unit tested in this thread may be for slightly different demographics. I'll need the Ignitek for the Venture because of the VMax top end going on next year, I expect to have to tweak and tune or be able to load custom maps, but if I were going to R&R one on a stock-ish bike this one might be nice. Sounds like they got the curve/map right and the OP is enjoying new found power. Sure cant be all bad. I wouldn't mind seeing it for under $300 though.

Last I checked on the new Ignitek for the Venture they were having to be ordered from the other side of the pond and the price was just shy of $300. If the price just came down on the Ignitek thats a plus.

No, I didn't mean to imply that the sensor came with the unit, just that it is wired for the existing (or one of your choosing) MAP sensor and that since this is a 1983 Venture, I have to move the vacuum hose of the MAP sensor from the carb to the manifold. I will also be checking the original MAP sensor to be sure that it doesn't output more than 5 volts.

And yes, I paid $193 which included shipping. I did mention venturerider.org, but I am not sure they gave a discount. I got a quote from them last September for $223.

I bought it from ignitech.cz.

I have been following the Ignitech posts for several years now. There are a lot of members using them and contributing their knowledge and experience with them.

More later when I get to test it.

Edited by venturesome

I also have an '83 VR that I just purchased an Ignitec for. It came pre-programmed with plug and play adapter, MAP sensor is already wired (they call it IAPS), and serial and usb interfaces, user manual and program to customize any way I like. As soon as my back lets me, I will do some similar tests "out of the box". (I am aware that on the '83 you have to change the MAP sensor port). All of the above shipped to my door for $193!

Ship time was less than 10 days. Hopefully this is all it takes to get the '83 running. I followed the manual that says test everything else and if its all good, then the TCI is bad!

For future reference I do have 83 TCI spare... But most it will do is start the bike and run good till the box gets warm, so if someone would need to borrow one I have one. The safety features in it are fried... But hell for a test unit...

But keep in mind it may not been that boxes fault at all because I did run it for a week till o got tired of trying to kill myself taking off with kickstand down, I replaced it trying to get rid of a miss which ended up being two bad caps.

I sure hope not because I accidently clicked link and it took me to webpage designing

Sorry 'bout that! My bad! I revised the link, it should be: ignitech.cz :doh::doh:

You will need to click on "English" unless you want to view in Czech!

My question is do they make ignitec for vmaxes? And how wide is there varieties?

There are a few guys running Ignitek with the Vmaxes. They are tailorable and safe with COPS. There is another brand out there I cant recall but it is not safe with COPS.