IGNORED

Discovered Something Tonight About '83 Only Ventures!!

While looking at the schematic for the fuel pump relay on the '83 model only, I discovered that the fuel pumps on that year only do NOT shut off after the initial few seconds before the bike starts!!! That safety feature was not incorporated until the '84 on up models!!! So, if you own an '83 your fuel pump should keep clicking and clicking until the fuel bowls are up to full pressure!!

I'm sure there is a reason for that safety feature being added after '84, I always assumed it was to prevent the possibility of getting a hydro lock from too much fuel pressure, or in the case of a stuck needle valve staying open. Anyway, the gray line from the number 2 coil trigger from the TCI that also feeds the tach is what restores the fuel pump relay. On the '83 there is no gray wire to the relay, just a duplicate R/W line. That relay is a special relay that has a "Time constant" circuit in it that makes it run initially for a few seconds when the bike is first turned on...

Just wanted to pass this on!

I will have to definately try this theory. I am thinking mine does shut off after a couple of clicks. Because when I had my carbs off I forgot about the gas still being on and it only pumped a few seconds but after I realized what I did I turned the key back off... So I will test this in the morning by hooking hose to outlet and stick it in gas can just to see...

My 83 will click for a few seconds when I turn the key on and I will then flip the kill switch off and on and it will again click for a few seconds. If I will keep repeating this, mine will start to click less and less until it stops. So, if what you say is correct and I understand it right, my 83 works like an 84 and up.

Randy

I think basically the fuel pumps all run the same. It's a spring and solenoid setup. The solenoid draws the shaft one way, then shuts off by the limit switch, a spring draws it back to the starting point and the cycle starts again. The spring stroke provides the pumping and pressure. The relay is there just to limit the time of running when the bike is not running.

Or is it possible that the 2 second feature was added during the 83 model year.

That's my thinking as well. I consider the '83 as a BETA model, with small tweeking changes made during production. Even the '84 occasionally. I.E. the choke set being '84 only...

Electric fuel pumps will automatically shut off when the preset back pressure is reached.

I think the manufacturers want the fuel to shut off in case of an accident.

the fuel pump is allowed to run for only a few seconds, when the key is first turned on, to pump fuel into the carbs.

The electric pump can constantly run when the engine is running.

My Ninja has the same thing. All cars with electric fuel pump will have the same feature.

BTW: To test the electric fuel pump in a car or bike the fuel pump relay is bypassed.

Both of my Ninjas are permanently bypassed because I couldn't figure out why they would not work.

They have been bypassed for years :cool:

Or is it possible that the 2 second feature was added during the 83 model year.
That is quite possible, I am just going by the factory wiring diagrams for the '83 versus the '84. Go to the Technical Library and view the schematics at the fuel pump. On the '83 the R/W wire goes to two places on the relay whereas on the '84 the gray line from the TCI goes to the one connection...