IGNORED

Won't start

clarkrcdc

Well I was going to start the bike up today and let it run for awhile... when I turn on the ignition the lights came on and the fuel pump ran, when that was done I pushed the start button and everything died...like I disconnected the battery...the floor was damp from the warm up, so moisture must have been on the bike too..this probably caused it to short out...I checked the main and ignition fuses...they looked ok but I changed them anyway...that didn't work...I'm sure the battery Is ok, because the lights and fuel pump were working good before I pushed the start button...I have lights under the gas tank that are separate and run straight to the battery and they work fine...So I have no power at all when I turn on the ignition...I hope someone ran into this problem and knows the fix...Thanks for your help...PS when I hit the start button the first time it did make a small click sound ...and nothing after that when I would tried to start it....

Well I was going to start the bike up today and let it run for awhile... when I turn on the ignition the lights came on and the fuel pump ran, when that was done I pushed the start button and everything died...like I disconnected the battery...the floor was damp from the warm up, so moisture must have been on the bike too..this probably caused it to short out...I checked the main and ignition fuses...they looked ok but I changed them anyway...that didn't work...I'm sure the battery Is ok, because the lights and fuel pump were working good before I pushed the start button...I have lights under the gas tank that are separate and run straight to the battery and they work fine...So I have no power at all when I turn on the ignition...I hope someone ran into this problem and knows the fix...Thanks for your help...PS when I hit the start button the first time it did make a small click sound ...and nothing after that when I would tried to start it....

The clicking you heard was the starter relay. Typically this is an indication the battery is low or there is a bad connection. Clean battery connections then try again. The positive connection on your battery has a cable connected to your starter relay. Check to see if that connection is clean at the relay. I think what you will find that the relay has become corroded to include the 30 amp main fuse. Pull it out clean if you can however be prepared to see it fall apart in you hands. This is a bear to get to so good luck.

So I have no power at all when I turn on the ignition...I hope someone ran into this problem and knows the fix...Thanks for your help...

First question, now, if you turn the key to the first position, the accessory position, does the radio work?? Then, if when you turn the switch to the ignition position does the radio still work?? If so you have the dreaded ignition switch failure, either the switch itself or the connector for the switch, which is located under the gas tank near the switch itself. The reason I ask this and the proof of the test is that the radio operates using a different set of contacts and wires than the rest of the bike uses. This is a common failure point on 2nd Generations...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the original symptom I just had early this afternoon...as I already had all my things packed in the trunk and side bags then I tried to start and all I heard was a single click. There was lights until the second click and all went dark. I didn't have time to remove the seat and take a quick look since I am already on my way to work....had to take the cage. I will have to check the health of my battery and see how my cables look as well tomorrow morning. A little disappointed since I couldn't ride on a very nice day like today.