I was gonna buy a Harley but ....

SilvrT

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey I was just razzin ya on the S-10. You are gonna need something with some schwoop to pull that thing around. If you are interested I am sure you could get alot of Tips from B2Dad and Patti on traveling with the 5th wheel.

Wish you all the best in livin the dream!

Craig

Hey I was just razzin ya on the S-10. ( I know 'dis :duck:) You are gonna need something with some schwoop to pull that thing around. If you are interested I am sure you could get alot of Tips from B2Dad and Patti on traveling with the 5th wheel.

Wish you all the best in livin the dream!

:ice_thy-vi101212101

Craig

We have an '03 F-350 with a V10 gasser and 4.30 differential gears. No issue haulin the trailer ... BIG fuel drain on the bankroll but still less expensive than a diesel.

At the retiree luncheon Tuesday, I talked with a old co-worker who is handling the estate of another co-worker. He's selling a 2002 37' Newmar Class A motorhome that is on a Freightliner chassis and with a Cummins diesel pusher. 45k miles. Asking payoff of $27,500. Tempting to at least go look at it.

Edited by BlueSky
Added year of the MH

At the retiree luncheon Tuesday, I talked with a old co-worker who is handling the estate of another co-worker. He's selling a 37' Newmar Class A motorhome on a Freightliner chassis and with a Cummins diesel pusher. 45k miles. Asking payoff of $27,500. Tempting to at least go look at it.

Looking doesn't cost anything .....

We'd originally thought Class A but then ya need a toad and then there's the maintenance and repairs, and, and, ..... we settled on truck / trailer and I don't care for bumper pull so 5th wheel it is.

Don't know about that. Looking can get you all fired up to buy something you don't need. I used to have a really bad habit of looking at cars. One year I owned 6 different cars. They were all used and it didn't cost me much if anything to buy and sell them. I never traded with a dealer.

My wife is still working so a MH wouldn't get utilized that much right now unless I toured the country without her!..... Since she is 17 years younger, I will probably be too old when she does retire! So I just need to go through my Venture and start riding to all the meets!

When I lived in Raleigh and my kids were small, I bought a used 24' Layton TT bumper pull. I towed it to Myrtle Beach quite a few times. One time I towed it to Orlando for a Disney World vacation. I loved having it and I love the campground atmosphere, but when the kids got older and didn't want to go camping with the old man, I sold it. I was divorced during that time.

Niiiice! what's the ccc on it?

OK not familiar with "CCC" That particular model we really like. But a new one here is like 63k asking. The one in the link is 1 yr old model and in Ohio priced @ 35k. Still kind of more than I want to go right now, but if they made me a good deal I'd run the Ram 2500 up the pike to get it. They have nice options and the garage in back serves as a separate bed room if the kids and grand kids go too. The gate can also serve as a porch and has like a mesh fence thing that goes around it so you use it like an outside patio deck.

OK not familiar with "CCC" That particular model we really like. But a new one here is like 63k asking. The one in the link is 1 yr old model and in Ohio priced @ 35k. Still kind of more than I want to go right now, but if they made me a good deal I'd run the Ram 2500 up the pike to get it. They have nice options and the garage in back serves as a separate bed room if the kids and grand kids go too. The gate can also serve as a porch and has like a mesh fence thing that goes around it so you use it like an outside patio deck.

"CCC" is Cargo Carrying Capacity

I googled it and it shows 3645 lbs.

The fresh, black, and grey capacities come out to 199 gal so if full that would weigh 1751 lbs leaving 1893 for your "stuff" ... not a lot if you stuck a 900 lb motorcycle in the back.

Before I sold the Road Star we thought about getting a toy hauler but when we realized how little capacity we'd have after sticking the roady inside, we decided against it. Granted, our situation is different as we need something for full-time RVing, not just weekends or a couple weeks.

We are heading over to Tampa tomorrow to the big RV show. I can asure you I aint buying nothing over about $10. But we have found a floor plan of some we like. It is a bumper pull but we are no where near retiring full time.

I have been looking at toyhaulers for a few years, gotta tell ya, that is the Caddy of toyhaulers!! That is a really nice looking unit with great extras!! Unfortunately I doubt its 1/2 ton towable, mite have to see what that mfg. offers in a lighter unit. It looks as tho they are very well built.

Craig

Congrats, Rick! That looks awesome. You and Nina will have much fun and many stories to tell after hauling that thing across North America, I'm sure.

I just noticed your signature as "bikeless". Did you sell the Roadie too?

Dale.

Hi Dale, yes, I sold the Roady about a month ago.

We made the deal on the RV today! So pumped! Will take delivery in a couple weeks. Gotta find a place to store it until we're ready to use it.

BTW, we'll be in your neck of the woods sometime August so would sure like to hook up with you and Doug Ivy as we're passing through.

let's keep in touch.

We'd originally thought Class A but then ya need a toad and then there's the maintenance and repairs, and, and, ..... we settled on truck / trailer and I don't care for bumper pull so 5th wheel it is.

Good move...

Hi Dale, yes, I sold the Roady about a month ago.

We made the deal on the RV today! So pumped! Will take delivery in a couple weeks. Gotta find a place to store it until we're ready to use it.

BTW, we'll be in your neck of the woods sometime August so would sure like to hook up with you and Doug Ivy as we're passing through.

let's keep in touch.

That sounds great, Rick. Keep me posted on when you folks are coming, we would love to see you.

Dale.

I have been looking at toyhaulers for a few years, gotta tell ya, that is the Caddy of toyhaulers!! That is a really nice looking unit with great extras!! Unfortunately I doubt its 1/2 ton tow-able, mite have to see what that mfg. offers in a lighter unit. It looks as tho they are very well built.

Craig

Well have spent 2 pretty full days on a recon mission @ RV show in Tampa. PHEW I'm beat. 400 miles back and forth in 2 days and only 4 counties. LOL Wife had pedometer thing going on her phone yesterday and had racked up over 4 miles, not counting the up and down of stairs. One thing I found out, the bumper pull we liked so much....... garage aint long enough. You could kitty corner it fine for the XCT. But then it limits what else you might put in, say a kyak or pedal bikes.

1/2 ton towable toy haulers are kind of slim pickings. By some folks that I would consider knowledgeable Jayco might not be a good choice. Part of our issue is we want a wall between the cargo and living area. No bike in the dining room.

Rick, we did some investigative fact finding on this full time RV thing too. We looked mostly @ 5th wheel Toy Haulers this weekend once we saw what bumper pulls were available. Checked into some workamper jobs I think they call them. Wife and I are many years (prob 7-10) from US social security if there is still such a thing by then. So we still have to have income even after we sell current house. Looking at the units we like, going to need a different truck also. :mo money:

Looking at the units we like, going to need a different truck also. :mo money:

Yup, we had to trade our mint, low mileage '05 Silverdo 1500 in on this Ford F350. To be able to afford it we had to drop 2 model years and settle for a vehicle that had 100,000 more kilometers on it. But the Ford is in mint condition and it was already set up for towing a 5th wheel. And yes, we had to fork out some :mo money: . Had done some looking at diesel trucks but the long range difference in maintenance and fuel costs plus the initial price was just out of the question. The V10 engine in this Ford is apparently rock solid and there's lots of folks who have them for pulling a trailer and many who've gotten rid of their diesel in favor of a V10.

Yup, we had to trade our mint, low mileage '05 Silverdo 1500 in on this Ford F350. To be able to afford it we had to drop 2 model years and settle for a vehicle that had 100,000 more kilometers on it. But the Ford is in mint condition and it was already set up for towing a 5th wheel. And yes, we had to fork out some :mo money: . Had done some looking at diesel trucks but the long range difference in maintenance and fuel costs plus the initial price was just out of the question. The V10 engine in this Ford is apparently rock solid and there's lots of folks who have them for pulling a trailer and many who've gotten rid of their diesel in favor of a V10.

Not even sure they put the V-10 in anything besides motorhomes anymore. But only complaints I have read from Ford guys while looking up some pros and cons to gas vs diesel on the V-10 is they have a hole in the fuel tank. Its activated when you turn the key and start pulling up hills. As light as your unit is you could have got away with a F250 I think as GVW on those is up around 12,500. But I know going used you kind of get what you get not a lot of pick and choose. The units we really liked are over 15k so heck even a F350 wont hack it. Do you know how hard it is to find a used F450? That aint been tortured. So we liked a couple of floor plans from Fuzion #369 & 371. Both are around 13,500 (371) 13,700 (369) So add a 1000# bike, gear, propane YIKES your over 14,500 pretty quick. And those are only 39'.

So perplexing, we are considering the full time thing and work along program but not knowing if we should makes iard to decide if you would want a 38' unit to live full time in. Or do you want a piece that big sitting for 40+ weeks a year and making payments on it. So do you just buy the 450 and over kill the smaller trailer (truck would only be secondary transport for me to work if not full time RV) or go 350 and have enough.