IGNORED

I was gonna buy a Harley but ....

SilvrT

Yes do a lot of checking on the back end of your trailer before even considering a bike lift.

A co worker just bought a new RV trailer and mounted a rack for 2 mountain bikes for the kids. His warranty for the frame was voided because 2 kids bicycles and the rack (less than 100 lbs) exceeded the 50 lb maximum weight capacity of the trailer and broke both frame rails about a foot in front of the bumper. Even though the dealer assured him it was ok and the dealer installed the bike rack.

Not to mention that 1200 lbs (bike + lift) hung off the back end is going to remove a lot of tongue weight.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

@SilverT So all this back and forth with myself trying to figure what I want to do. Size of unit then got to have bigger than F350 dualy for weight of trailer we like. Then over all cost is prohibitive. Well I think got it found on local craigs list.

00K0K_fEHtCUvwA9y_600x450.jpg

00H0H_2dYaTCli6GB_600x450.jpg

So I dont know what motor etc would be in this 2008 Peterbuilt. But pretty sure it would drag whatever I could hook too. LOL

For the normal trips I would have to agree. But the wife and I have been talking about going full time RV. Do the work camper hing 4 months or so here work for say the camp ground, then go to another location work for UPS or someone. There are sites dedicated to posting part time jobs for folks like this. I think wow this would be kind of fun, then I think about having a 2000+ sq foot house and garage and down sizing to something smaller than we lived in when in the USAF. Dont know if its for me. Plus I HATE changing jobs.

@SilverT So all this back and forth with myself trying to figure what I want to do. Size of unit then got to have bigger than F350 dualy for weight of trailer we like. Then over all cost is prohibitive. Well I think got it found on local craigs list.

So I dont know what motor etc would be in this 2008 Peterbuilt. But pretty sure it would drag whatever I could hook too. LOL

Is that an Open Range unit I see in the pic?

maybe so... maybe not... but where's the FUN FACTOR and ADVENTURE in that??

It's different if you want to full time for a while and move around the country and really get to see and enjoy the sights.

I worked temporary contract engineering jobs at nuclear power plants for almost 20 years in over a dozen states before retiring. The idea of using a TT or motorhome appealed to me because finding an apartment was almost always one of the worst things about a new contract. And the idea of not having to pack and haul so much stuff from home to the new jobs was very attractive. But it just didn't make sense for me. Many of my jobs were in the frozen north where the campgrounds are typically closed in the winter. Usually, I could rent an apartment for less money than the cost of renting a campsite. I went through the debate with myself several times and just couldn't rationalize using a TT or motorhome. When I worked at the Nine Mile Nuclear Power Plant close to Oswego, NY a coworker fulltimer paid $600 / month for a campsite. I rented a 2 bedroom apt for $420. I furnished it with what I could pack into my F150 with camper shell on the back.