IGNORED

Fireworks

mraf

Physics and Ballistics are fantastic subjects too explore they both go hand and hand. Aristotle said heavy objects fall proportionally faster than lighter objects .......Wrong. Italian scientist Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) proved all freely falling bodies has a constant downward acceleration of 32ft/s2 hence gravitational pull. So lets explore a little knowns 240gn bullet muzzle velocity 800 ft/sec. shot vertical doesn't really come into play here. Who cares what speed its going up since its going to stop and turn and free fall to tera cotta or our head. Final Velocity is function of gravity and time. So lets solve time first with a final velocity of 400ft/sec.

Vf=400ft/sec.

t=Time ?

s=Distance?

t=400ft/sec divided by 32ft/s2 or 12.5sec.

s=1/2(32ft/s2)t2=(16ft/s2)t2

s=(16ft/s2)(12.5)2=(16ft/s2)(156.25)

s=2500ft.

With a height of 2500 feet our bullet turns into a free falling projectile that impacts tera cotta at terminal velocity of 400ft/sec. in 12.5 seconds. Reference mat. Applied Physics 3rd edition by Tippens and of course Galileo.

and then there is the shear simplisity of a father (like my deceased Dad) teaching his very young son (first B-B gun = 8 years old) all about responsible gun ownership and handling.. Always be sure of back stop, if in doubt = dont shoot. The very safest of target shooting requires a real good sand hill and, if possible, hunt the hill tops so your shots are being backed by the valley floor as the deer pass thru.

A number of years ago I did a debate in College taking the proprosal that all "still hunting" in Michigan be done from a raised platform = every shot fired would have a guarenteed backstop = won the debate - not cause I was smart but cause of papa!!

Bottom line, gun ownership aint that much different than any other amazing freedom we have here in the U.S. (owning and driving a car, motorcycle, being able to drink and on and on) = in the end, we ARE our brothers keeper and its our respondsibility to protect others by avoiding negligence on our behalf..

:scratchchin:,,, speaking about stuff falling from the sky and fireworks = when I was kid we used to sneak into the reeds along the lake shore to get as close to the fireworks being lit as possible - WOW was that fun!!!!!!! Never forget the night that the sky was still, watching all the action take place while they lit the tubes and NEVER forget the downpour of card board and hunks of wood filler shell casings falling from the sky after the BOOM BOOM!!!! Also, used to LOVE the smell associated with such!!!:banana::banana::banana:

I've seen them slugs bounce off the ground. Not sure where they were coming from. Was a little busy at the time but picked up several.

:scared:cant even imagine bro!!! THANK YOU for your service my dear friend = PROUD to be yours!!!:thumbsup: