IGNORED

Looking at buying a 2006 venture tour deluxe

Hi I am going to look at a 2006 venture tour deluxe with 32000 miles on it. Just wondering what issues or faults I should be looking for before I purchase this motorcycle. Because I live in Canada I will not be able to go on a test ride. I had stopped into this dealer today to have a look and it appears to be in very nice condition. Tomorrow I will go back for a more detailed look at it. Thanks in advance for and advise or info you can pass on to me.

Well there is probably 30 or more threads on similar question. Tire age, not just amount of tread. Rear shock leaking-evidence of oil leak. Maybe what the hyd lines look like, fluid color. Hard to remember everything.

Just wondering why living in Canada precludes a test ride? Unless of course it's because there's snow/ ice on the roads.
I'm still riding daily, but then I do live on an Island in the Pacific even if it is off the Wet Coast of Canada. :canada:

No test ride, no buy.

Of course, any damage is on the rider.

Unless Canada is different than the use there isn't a Venture Tour Deluxe.

There is The Royal Star Venture which is the full touring model with trunk, CB, fairing, radio etc.

The Royal Star Tour Deluxe has the same powertrain as the Venture but without all the features.

They are both great motorcycles, probably the only common problem is leaking rear shocks. Your biggest worry on an 11 year old motorcycle with only 32,000 miles is neglect. Look for the brake and clutch fluid to be clear, or no darker than weak tea. Check the date codes on the tires. It's a carbureted motorcycle so you need to be concerned about gummed up carburetors - it should start easily cold (with choke) and after a few minutes should idle smoothly off choke. A quick throttle blip should rev the engine without hesitation.

Tear the whole everything apart...check for wear.... JK :)

Id check for the usual:

-Motor- Runs/Idles smooth.....does it stall out at idle (carbs may need cleaned....pain to get out..but SUPER easy job once you do it once)

-Tires (wobble? un-even wear)

-Fluids (if you can get the owner to take the tank off check the coolant color) Oil

-Clutch (does it slip)

-Wheel bearings (ask when they have been changed...if never its an annoying job..id reduce price)

-Head Steering Stem Bearings (changed?)

-Rear Shock (tends to SUCK....if it has a leak its bad(look under bike at the rubber boot), those things are 400-600 brand new with very little aftermarket options)

-Front Forks (if mushy....never changed the fluid)

-Brakes/Rotors (check the wear on the discs, make sure no deep grooves etc)

Other than that...id say your in good shape. I have 82K on mine and only had to really change some clutches (i ride pretty hard) bearings and a stator....enjoy! This is a GREAT forum with good people and great way to find answers to issues! Well worth the $12.00 a year.

Goodluck!

Hi I am going to look at a 2006 venture tour deluxe with 32000 miles on it. Just wondering what issues or faults I should be looking for before I purchase this motorcycle. Because I live in Canada I will not be able to go on a test ride. I had stopped into this dealer today to have a look and it appears to be in very nice condition. Tomorrow I will go back for a more detailed look at it. Thanks in advance for and advise or info you can pass on to me.

Buy it. I bought my 2009 (last model year) new in 2011. I've put 38000km without flaw. I've changed oil, brake pads, tires as required. Nothing but normal maintenance items. I'm about due for the scheduled valve clearance as soon as I pull it out this spring.

I liked the TD so much I talked myself into a 2012 venture (also new), every bit as smooth and reliable. I couldn't give up the TD (liked it too much) when I bought the new one so they each get about 1/2 my riding time. Buy it AND put the 12USD into a membership here. If anything should come up this place has the answer.

I'll be riding the TD and/or the Venture until I can't find a way to keep them going and that's years and years away.

Hi Bently and :welcome1: to VR - :group cheers:

I live in Michigan and have purchased many many "off season" scoots thru the years - GREAT PRICES but, as you mention - kind of raises the risk of purchase = I TOTALLY get your point!!

IMHO, you have gotten really good advice so far from some of the best. As already mentioned, one of the maladies our V-4's can suffer from are carb issues from sitting. Its not just the jetting and other orvices that plug - slides get sticky and diaphrams crack.. If I were going to look at it and it were at a dealership, I would require them to move the scoot into their shop area to let me cold start it (and I would double check the jugs to make sure it hadnt been warmed up for me). Turn on the key and you will here the fuel pump "clicking" as it pumps fuel into the bowls, toggle the kill (not sure this works on the TD's - does on the MK1 Venture's) switch to keep cycling the pump till the bowls are full and the pump runs no more on recycle. Check under scoot for any fuel over flow indicating float valve issues. Chock on, touch start button - should start. After start up, resist urge to twist throttle, let idle on choke circuit only as long as necessary to maintain idle - move off choke as quickly as possible. Once choke is off, let idle a couple minutes on carb low speed jetting (no throttle twists yet), dampen a finger tip with spit and check each exhaust header (like checking a hot iron). Look for differences between cylinders in spit sizzle = you wanna make sure she's hittin on 4. Once happy with running on 4, wick it up quickly and see if she hesitates or responds quickly - this should REALLY improve as bike warms up to op temp. If, at operating temp, it does have a tendency to stumble, hesitate or sound funny in the pipe note - diaphrams or sticky slides can cause it.

With the bike warmed up to operating temp, at idle - pull the clutch in one time and hold it - aim the scoot at a wall or door way and place it in gear. Any "creeping" or lunging forward could indicate clutch issues.

Put bike back in neutral, let it idle, shine headlight on wall area - watch headlight brightness as you rev the throttle a little - you should see the light get a little brighter each time you exceed a couple grand on the R's indicating the charging system is working.

I would also take a close look at the brake calipers and rotors. I have been riding MUCH older versions of the Venture for years and have always been amazed at how quickly Caliper pistons can become sticky (or stuck) from sitting. Check yours by squeezing n holding front brake - releasing while putting a forward push on the bike - it should roll forward fairly easily as caliper releases - same with back. Take a pen light with you and check the pads for wear. Also look at the rotors for qouging.

Although there are no guarentees in life, most of us have found these motors and scoots to be AMAZING in their durability and performance = best of the best IMHO. Hope if all works out and you make the buy yours is EXACTLY that for you!!

P.S. - ditto on the BEST 12 bucks you will ever spend by joining this group = there be GENIUS'S roaming around this joint who can solve ANY issue you may have with you scoot!!! Also lots of us normal folk who are just fun to :stirthepot: n :stickpoke: with too:guitarist 2: