IGNORED

McAfee

Venturous Randy

My new laptop came with a trial period of McAfee and it will expire on 1/23/17. I do have Malwarebytes Premium installed and McAfee wants $39 a year to stay active. Would there be that much value to keep McAfee active or should I uninstall it.

I also installed Free AdRemover and now they are saying after a month, it will cost. It does seem to work pretty good, but is there a better deal?

Thanks,

Randy

I am not a huge fan of either McAfee or Norton myself, I personally use Trend Micro with their 3 computer coverage for virus protection and the free version of Super antispyware for spyware and malware. Just remember that virus protection and adware protection are two separate things and you should have both! A virus is something that will hack your computer and steal your personal information whereas spyware is just tracking cookies to bombard you with ads to buy everything you looked at for the last 100 years...

FWIW, I am now using a paid for version of Kaspersky that I can install on up to 3 computers. We also use their Enterprise version at my work.

From PC Mag ....

"The independent testing labs consistently award Kaspersky Anti-Virus their highest ratings, plus it aces our own antiphishing tests, adds plenty of bonus features, and it's fast. That's enough to earn our Editors' Choice nod again this year. "

My new laptop came with a trial period of McAfee and it will expire on 1/23/17. I do have Malwarebytes Premium installed and McAfee wants $39 a year to stay active. Would there be that much value to keep McAfee active or should I uninstall it.

I also installed Free AdRemover and now they are saying after a month, it will cost. It does seem to work pretty good, but is there a better deal?

Thanks,

Randy

We've used AVG, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, & JRT (junk removal tool by Malwarebytes) with ZoneAlarm in that order since, can't even remember back, say early 90's. Some of this software wasn't around at that time. Never had an issue with any of it. And the best part is no charge if you subscribe to the 'free versions'.

We've used AVG, CCleaner, Malwarebytes, & JRT (junk removal tool by Malwarebytes) with ZoneAlarm in that order since, can't even remember back, say early 90's. Some of this software wasn't around at that time. Never had an issue with any of it. And the best part is no charge if you subscribe to the 'free versions'.

Just for clarification... ( I just had to find out LOL )

AVG was introduced in the U.S. in 1998 (It originated in Czechoslovakia before that.)

Malwarebytes was first released in January 2006

Zonealarm Initial Release 16 February 2000

ccleaner (originally called Crap Cleaner) released 23 September 2003

Just for clarification... ( I just had to find out LOL )

AVG was introduced in the U.S. in 1998 (It originated in Czechoslovakia before that.)

Malwarebytes was first released in January 2006

Zonealarm Initial Release 16 February 2000

ccleaner (originally called Crap Cleaner) released 23 September 2003

loL .. Rick, IT guy, you rock man.

Randy, I'm pretty sure these 'free version' software packages have all the current updates these days with company cutthroat competition and all. Another option is removing Mcfee, and enabling Windows Defender and Windows Firewall which is included with Windows 10. :2cents:

I use Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender... it works and is free.

For comparison - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp for paid anti-virus software.

For free software - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/software/best-free-antivirus-software-2017-3649231/

Yup, I'll agree, Don, it's free and works great!!

If you bought a new computer it probably came with windows 10 If you uninstall McAffee then the built in Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) will or should reactivate.. between that and your paid for Malwarebytes you will be very well protected without putting out any more cash..

Randy,

I kept McAfee and have been satisfied with it. I us live Safe and can use it on all my devices. I have 2 computers 2 tablets and 2 smartphones on it now. I can track and fine android devices { tabs and phones} If lost or stolen. If stolen can lock the device if it is ever turned on.

I wait until last week to renew and usually get it for 29.95

If you bought a new computer it probably came with windows 10 If you uninstall McAffee then the built in Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) will or should reactivate.. between that and your paid for Malwarebytes you will be very well protected without putting out any more cash..

This is what I was hoping for. So far I have had Malwarebytes on three computers and have not had any problems. Before, I got hit with some Ransomeware and have at least one of those laptops just sitting now.

Randy

I use Microsoft Security Essentials/Defender... it works and is free.

For comparison - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372364,00.asp for paid anti-virus software.

For free software - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/software/best-free-antivirus-software-2017-3649231/

I am like Dale from King of the Hill on this one But I put tape and covers over my camera's and microphones. I don't have nothing to hide but... I remember a time when you would by a computer and you got everything pratically for free. I am talking Window's 95 computers when you could not get a computer for $300 or less. My dad got one on sale for $800 from Circuit City. I don't even think that place still exist it was a good ol Packard Bell Computer with I think a whole 30 mb hard drive. :Bunny::rotf: