IGNORED

Valve Shim Kit and Tool?

Hi Folks, I need to change out the Valve cover gaskets on my 2005 RSMV. I might as well perform the valve adjustment while I'm in there. Does anyone have a Shim kit and tool they would like to sell or let me barrow? I live in Southern Ohio

If you don't manage to find a loner shim tool there are a couple on eBay are not too expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Valve-Shim-Tool-XVZ12-XVZ13-Venture-Vmax-V-Max-VMX12-VMX13-04105-/401240087862?hash=item5d6bc5dd36:g:e2gAAOSwKPNTx2y2&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-VMAX-XVZ12-XVZ13-VENTURE-V-MAX-VALVE-SHIM-TOOL-04105-/192042659944?hash=item2cb6a27068:m:mCXpbmtQrhNEaPcSUWIhcKg&vxp=mtr

The thing about shim kits is they likely will not have the shims needed. I borrowed a tool and about 20 shims from a friend but was only able to use 4 and had to buy another 9. The cost of shipping, across the border mind you, was close to the cost of the tool. In my case, I got one for $40 off eBay when I wanted to do the job again.

Same shims are used in several other bikes. Honda, Triumph, Yamaha FJ1200. I dont remember but if you put it in a search on E-bay, usually it comes up with which bikes it fits. I think I gave $6 or something for last ones I had to buy. I got a bag full of them in tool box. Unfortunately a bunch are the 300 range or something unless its a new head, I'll never use. Lucky for me the Victory is Hyd lifter.

I was able when I did my RSV to check them all, the ones that were out of spec I pulled the shims out to see what was in to figure what I needed. I was able to swap a couple around and only had to actually purchase 2 shims I think.

I like it. I did several of the dealer demo days before making the move. Mine is a 2013 Cross country tour. It does have some excessive heat around the rear exhaust pipe to me. But I can live with it. For me it was a matter of the top heaviness. The XCT is like a sport bike in the corners, now its not quite as plush a ride on long distance as the RSV was. Storage about the same, I would say the trunk is a bit more usable on the RSV as the angles on the Victory make things tricky @ times.

So here is a link to some shims off e-bay. 25mm is the size. In the listing it tells what else it fit. I found some cheaper by fishing around for the Honda I think.

Edited by djh3

@skydoc_17 used to have a shim kit and tool that he would loan out if you bought all the gaskets and other stuff for the job from him. You will have to contact him to see if he still does this.

If you need an uncommon thickness, I can make the next bigger size a bit thinner. I acquired a surface grinder for my basement. I made a few custom sizes for mine to get it all just perfect. All of my valves are right on the high limit to give maximum time before they need to be done again. But that is just me.

Thanks for the plug guys! I DO still loan out my shop shim kit and tool for the VR.ORG members. I do require that you purchase your set of valve cover gaskets from me at the time of the shim kit loan. My kit currently has about 90 shims in it but because of the combinations needed to adjust the valves, I can't guarantee that I will have every shim you will need. I only loan this kit to members in the 48 states. It would be my pleasure to help any VR.ORG member with this project.

Earl

Hey Jeff. After the holidays and the post office get back to their semi-normal operation I could send you some of these big thick shims and you could trim them down for guys. I'll have to see what I got but I think I got a mess of around 300

Thanks for the plug guys! I DO still loan out my shop shim kit and tool for the VR.ORG members. I do require that you purchase your set of valve cover gaskets from me at the time of the shim kit loan. My kit currently has about 90 shims in it but because of the combinations needed to adjust the valves, I can't guarantee that I will have every shim you will need. I only loan this kit to members in the 48 states. It would be my pleasure to help any VR.ORG member with this project.

Earl

Skydoc,how much for the gaskets and how soon can you get me the gaskets and shim kit?

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm deep into the job of adjusting the valves on my RSV and I have to say, could Yamaha have made this job any more difficult!!?? Now I understand why the dealership want $500 to do it. Thankfully the valves don't have to be adjusted very often, but still the engineers for this bike could have done a much better job on routing the wiring, cooling tube, vent and vacuum tubes, and the air box.

I have a 1984 Honda Sabre and I can do a valve adjustment on that V4 engine in two hours taking my time. I'm about 3 hours just getting the valve covers off.

Sorry, I just needed to vent to those who may understand. Hope I'm not offending anyone. I do Love my RSV and especially love riding it. I guess if this is the worst thing I have to do, its not that bad of a bike.

Yes they are a PITA to get to. It is even more fun getting the valve covers back on without damaging your NEW gaskets.
Yeah, about that. When you "think" you have the cover on properly and before torquing the bolts use a bright flashlight and inspect every inch of the gasket seal area to be certain it is all in place. If you cannot see an area, use a mirror. Don't leave even the smallest area to chance...just don't!

Easy - Peasy...:guitarist 2: :happy34::dancefool::hihi: