IGNORED

83 venture vs royal

I'm at work right now so I looked at an online manual that I found, but did not find the 6.8" height level mentioned. The reason I ask is that I have been setting the oil level to 5.5" with the fork collapsed and no spring installed. Kinda wondering if I have been doing wrong.

Depends on whether you are using the stock springs or progressives. The progressives have more and larger coils so they displace more fluid raising the fluid level. I do not know what the correct level should be with progressives but it would be lower than with stock springs. Probably if you do a search you can find some suggestions from other Mk II owners who have made the switch to progressives. I bought some progressives but have not installed them at this time.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a MKII and I went with 5.5" from the top, collapsed and no spring. It seems to work just fine. I cant recall where I read that but IIRC it was the tech library at Venturers.org. oh, and as a seperate point there was some question about what to do with the collared washer that no longer fit into the ID of the Progressives because ID is smaller than OEM. I turned mine upside down and let the collar reside in the cap (aluminum cup with O ring around it). Not sure if its correct but shes working great now.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm surprised No one has answered.. How about it @CaseyJ955 will this work for the upgrade?

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I wish I knew, im still running the stock mkII MC with the R6 calipers and it seems to work fine.

Im glad you had faith in me but now I feel twice as bad for not knowing.:doh: haha

I wish I knew, im still running the stock mkII MC with the R6 calipers and it seems to work fine.

Im glad you had faith in me but now I feel twice as bad for not knowing.:doh: haha

Lol sorry I thought you upgraded all that.

Lol sorry I thought you upgraded all that.

I have the MKII so I decided to give er a go. If it were any smaller I think it would have to be upgraded. MKII already has 14mm IIRC, I think MKII is something like 12.7 or thereabouts, not quite enough volume displacement for nice fat calipers. Would a MKII work, or ya just tryin to be one of the cool kids that can say you have sportbike hardware on your venture?:rotf:

Seriously would be good to know what upgrades do fit. Its nice to have brake components that arent old enough to buy booze. Also I wonder if a complete front brake system off that bike, calipers, mc and all if it would essentially bolt on, aside from lines.

I have the MKII so I decided to give er a go. If it were any smaller I think it would have to be upgraded. MKII already has 14mm IIRC, I think MKII is something like 12.7 or thereabouts, not quite enough volume displacement for nice fat calipers. Would a MKII work, or ya just tryin to be one of the cool kids that can say you have sportbike hardware on your venture?:rotf:

Seriously would be good to know what upgrades do fit. Its nice to have brake components that arent old enough to buy booze. Also I wonder if a complete front brake system off that bike, calipers, mc and all if it would essentially bolt on, aside from lines.

You need to stop in Neosho and let me give your bike a whirl and you give mine a whirl.... tell me if you think it would need the upgraded brakes, but I have the 50 dollar a set brake pads, the hh88 or whatever they were, maybe i can upgrade to 3rd gen brakes....

You need to stop in Neosho and let me give your bike a whirl and you give mine a whirl.... tell me if you think it would need the upgraded brakes, but I have the 50 dollar a set brake pads, the hh88 or whatever they were, maybe i can upgrade to 3rd gen brakes....

I may do that at some point. I hear the HH padd alone make a huge difference, I put mine on with the R6 calipers so never knew how they might work on factory pinchers. I think the best thing I did was delink. I found this thread that Dingy did awhile back, it seems to shed some light on brake upgrades.

Are yours still linked?

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?60986-Master-Cylinder-Caliper-ratio-chart

I may do that at some point. I hear the HH padd alone make a huge difference, I put mine on with the R6 calipers so never knew how they might work on factory pinchers.
I have been using HH pads on my bikes starting with the Virago which is before I got the Venture and I am very happy with the stock MkII Venture brakes. No upgrading required.

I have formed a personal opinion that guys who are unhappy with the MkII OEM brakes probably could have just cleaned the pistons so they worked properly and likely would not have felt the need to upgrade calipers or go to SS braided lines.

I have been using HH pads on my bikes starting with the Virago which is before I got the Venture and I am very happy with the stock MkII Venture brakes. No upgrading required.

I have formed a personal opinion that guys who are unhappy with the MkII OEM brakes probably could have just cleaned the pistons so they worked properly and likely would not have felt the need to upgrade calipers or go to SS braided lines.

I have the Mk1 so not sure but the HH pads do make a huge difference...

I have the Mk1 so not sure but the HH pads do make a huge difference...
The HH pads are definitely the best choice. I've never seen them but it is my understanding that the MkI has two piston calipers while the MkII has four piston calipers so are much better. It would also seem that upgrading to MkII forks is a very good idea so eith MkII calipers or R1/R6 calipers can be used.

The HH pads are definitely the best choice. I've never seen them but it is my understanding that the MkI has two piston calipers while the MkII has four piston calipers so are much better. It would also seem that upgrading to MkII forks is a very good idea so eith MkII calipers or R1/R6 calipers can be used.

Do you know what caliper fits the back? That is where I have most my problems from.

Do you know what caliper fits the back? That is where I have most my problems from.

No I don't, you need to get that info from a MkI guy. I believe Casey put a flipped R1/R6 on the rear of his MkII. He'll probably chime in about that.

Give Skydoc a shout. He sells a rear caliper for the MKII that has the bleed valve on top. I'm sure he can tell you if it works on the MKI.

No I don't, you need to get that info from a MkI guy. I believe Casey put a flipped R1/R6 on the rear of his MkII. He'll probably chime in about that.

I did slap an R6S front right caliper on the back. I read that the bleeder would not be accessable without caliper removal, but I found that I could bleed it no problem, the sidebag was off though. I used semi metalic pads in the rear instead of HH, if I had to do it over I would have used HH back there too. Very happy with the R6 calipers but in looking at them next to the OEM MKII calipers there really isnt a huge difference for fronts. I have not tried it but I suspect Camos is correct about proprtly functioning OEM brakes with good HH pads would be perfectly adequate. I only replaced the calipers because they were ha ging up pretty good and used R calipers were cheaper than OEM caliper kits. What I didnt know then is that bike calipers can often be disassembled, cleaned and reassembled w/o kits.

• 1 month later...
So how did y'all switch over the electronics in the front master cylinder? Did you splice them in?
Not sure what you are referring to, no electronics other than the level switch. Could it be the electric anti-dives on the Mk II versus the hydraulic ones on the Mk I?