United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default uhalling bike

thinking about going to new Mexico end of February. If I rent a van body truck to get me out of snows range. How far south down from iowa do I need to go to get out of snow belt. Don't want to get stranded in motel waiting on snow melt. Turn in truck and ride bike the rest of the way over. If I thought it would be nice a few days might just start out riding. This is a pipe dream but really want to do this.
    rodney swailes

2. Likes Oldodge liked this post
    Nys forgotten town
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: uhalling bike

Watch the weather reports and have at it! Worse you could do is to have to rent a U-haul to bring it back home. Old man winter can sneak up on you in the mountains if your not careful but common sence should see you through. Always ask the locals if your not sure of the road ahead. You can pipe dream the world away so have at it and smokem.
    Do you trust your government?
    Ask an Indian.

DOT
    Doing Our Thing

4. Likes Oldodge liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I went a different way bought a box truck a p30 Chevy. Have to put some interior into it. Will be basic needs tv, dorm fridge, couch or bed, carpet remnant, and power for living, take a space heater and a fan. Hauling bike with me. Have to figure a way to get it in and out. Going to new Mexico. Then riding to sun city Arizona then who knows. Hope I don't have to use a bucket. lol Maybe hook up with some of ya and ride around. Never been in that area so will do a lot of lost driving. And a little Webber grill. Will take quite a while to get there at 50 mph. Hate to admit to it but nervous.
    rodney swailes

6. Likes cowpuc, Holly liked this post
    United States
    WA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts of New Mexico are four season areas. Including ice and snow. NW corner for example. Other parts are dry year round. So plan your trip.

Mike

8. Thanks rbig1 gave thanks for this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbig1 View Post
    well I went a different way bought a box truck a p30 Chevy. Have to put some interior into it. Will be basic needs tv, dorm fridge, couch or bed, carpet remnant, and power for living, take a space heater and a fan. Hauling bike with me. Have to figure a way to get it in and out. Going to new Mexico. Then riding to sun city Arizona then who knows. Hope I don't have to use a bucket. lol Maybe hook up with some of ya and ride around. Never been in that area so will do a lot of lost driving. And a little Webber grill. Will take quite a while to get there at 50 mph. Hate to admit to it but nervous.
    Sounds like a BLAST Rodney!! Something tells me if ya "put in" somewhere down near Roswell ya should be good to go. I know that east/west line from Flag to Santa Fe can get it pretty bad with winter weather but south of that line, out of the way of the Rocky Mountain snow drifts, is good ol fashion dry heat desert riding and AWESOME stuff!! Personally, I would put in in south NM and stay south.. Maybe ride over and harass that VideoArizona feller on my way to "The Slabs" (google that one brother - pretty cool place in California to hang out while waiting for the snow to melt)..
    Regardless,, hope ya stay safe and have a BLAST out there!! ,,,, gonna be looking for some winter fun motorcycling 's = ye be warned!!
    Kretz = An explanation about all that time flying by? When you were a young scallywag, say 6 years old; one year was a 6th of your lifetime. Now at 60; one year is a 60th of your lifespan & so seems to whiz by in a blink of the proverbial eye. Ten times as fast as when you were that little kid!

10. Likes rbig1, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well here is a Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161220_170522 (576x1024).jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	107965picture
    rodney swailes

12. Likes videoarizona, cowpuc, BlueSky liked this post
    United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is just begging for a big VR logo on the side.
    Jeff Borowski . . 88 Venture standard
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't. Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it ought to be low enough for loading/unloading. Looking forward to hearing about your adventure. Keep us posted on updates, it will help get me thru the winter!!

Craig

15. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    392 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinfool View Post
    That is just begging for a big VR logo on the side.
    and STICKERS,,, lots and lots of room on that sweetheart for gobs of stickers!!!

Lookin GREAT there brother!! Rig like that with your scoot in the back, a cooler full of Hot Dogs, small grill and a hammock slung beside it = a GREAT way to escape the winter blahs!! Thanks for the pic!!!
    Kretz = An explanation about all that time flying by? When you were a young scallywag, say 6 years old; one year was a 6th of your lifetime. Now at 60; one year is a 60th of your lifespan & so seems to whiz by in a blink of the proverbial eye. Ten times as fast as when you were that little kid!

17. Likes Holly liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well got the junk out of the back. lic and insured. getting tires re[placed on back. have to figure a ramp and hold downs. That busted head light was a night mare, screws were stuck tight. Three more lights to fix. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161221_163518 (576x1024).jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	107966 getting the itch
    rodney swailes

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some big fender washers, RTV sealant and eye hooks placed in right spot you can mount a hammock inside, fold it up when not in use. Harbor freight has some loading ramps that if you get some like 6ft 2x10 and bolt them up may be long enough to load it up. Or scrounge around you may find a loading ramp off a u-haul around.
    2013 Black Victory XCT
    Trailers are for when your bike is broke, aint they?
    https://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedState...TX.VA.WV.AR.AL

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ramps that have an arch will help keep the bike from dragging when loading and unloading.
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

21. Likes rbig1, Barrycuda liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well you know how there is always something wrong with a used vehicle. Well I found it finely. When you back up and give it gas you take off pretty dang fast. Kind of like o shi#. Broken motor mount. Have my 30 amp service in carpet down, bought a ramp with arch, on the outer ramps have to rase them a 2x12 thickness so old short legs can touch. here is a few picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20170102_115740 (Medium) (1024x576).jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	108076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170103_132732 (576x1024).jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	108077
    rodney swailes

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a broken motor mount on my '58 Chevy! Stomp on the gas in drive and it would stay floored for a while until the torque let off! Scary to say the least...

24. Thanks rbig1 gave thanks for this post
    United States
    NM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbig1 View Post
    thinking about going to new Mexico end of February. If I rent a van body truck to get me out of snows range. How far south down from iowa do I need to go to get out of snow belt. Don't want to get stranded in motel waiting on snow melt. Turn in truck and ride bike the rest of the way over. If I thought it would be nice a few days might just start out riding. This is a pipe dream but really want to do this.
    I'm in new mexico, it all depends on roughts amd time of day and magic for clear roads. But lower you go better it is.

26. Thanks rbig1 gave thanks for this post
    Likes mm482 liked this post
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast