United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: uhalling bike

Been looking at the weather down there. Wanting to get around Apache Junction. Then ride bike to Sun City and all over. Night temps need to be above 55 for me. Don't have heat except space heater. What kind of wisdom can you shed on me for time of year?
    rodney swailes

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are aware that at this time, of the 50 states, there is only ONE that does not have SNOW on the ground at the moment. That one is Florida. But theirs is coming.............
    Jeff Borowski . . 88 Venture standard
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't. Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bongobobny View Post
    Had a broken motor mount on my '58 Chevy! Stomp on the gas in drive and it would stay floored for a while until the torque let off! Scary to say the least...
    I had a 59 Chevy Impala 2drhdtp, 283 cu in 230hp, 3 speed manual with overdrive. I stopped and let the clutch out quickly with the gas floored and broke the left side motor support. The engine fan started clanging against the metal fan shroud and scared the crap out of me. I thought I had broke the transmission. Those were the days before motor supports had safety catches to prevent the engine from lifiting.
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

4. Thanks rbig1 gave thanks for this post
    Likes mm482 liked this post
    United States
    NM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_P View Post
    I'm in new mexico, it all depends on roughts amd time of day and magic for clear roads. But lower you go better it is.
    when you make your way down here hit me up, im about a hour outside of Ruidoso

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Rodney,
    Thought I would jump in here as you are maybe a month away from departure.

New Mexico has some beautiful roads to ride in, so does Arizona, but both are desert states which require some careful planning in the winter. February NM temps hover around freezing at night, as does AZ. Deserts do get cold at night, even in spring! Even during the day, the deserts of NM can be down right chilly to ride. March is better, but no cigar. Not trying to rain on your parade, just being honest. Its the elevation of the NM deserts that gives the more extreme temps. Similar to the Indian Lands in nothern AZ.

That said, come on down as south as you can before riding.

You might wanrt to drive van to Phoenix area before you park it. Ride to Sun City, AJ and around AZ first...then load up...drive to NM and unload and ride that state near the end of your trip when NM will be a tad warmer. In fact, if you can wait until March to start your drive down...you can then ride both states in their entirety , except for some mountain areas, and have great weather!

Call me when you get closer and I can help you with itinerary. I don't have a place for you to store truck while you ride, otherwise I would offer that. My HOA is finicky about that stuff!
    Text me before you call so I can be ready to answer questions.

OH..buy a propane Buddy heater...the midddle size. About $90. Works great on low to knock the chill off and the small bottles can be found in WaMart cheap. I use one on my sailboat for winter sails and it does a good job. Only need it at night and morning for a few minutes. Any sporting goods store should have them. And bring a small spray bottle with soapy water to test for leaks on stove and or heater.

Later,
    david
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395499_200395499?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters,%20St oves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20>%20Propane%20Heaters&ut m_campaign=Mr.%20Heater&utm_content=173690&gclid=C jwKEAiA79zDBRCgyf2FgeiY-CESJABzr0BMe-FXUIqRPsP1DQiUM1v5WPmt-RJpG92wF7t-40Lf2xoCwILw_wcB

If link doesn't work...Northern Tool ...Mr. Buddy heaters...about $70 there.
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    and STICKERS,,, lots and lots of room on that sweetheart for gobs of stickers!!!

Lookin GREAT there brother!! Rig like that with your scoot in the back, a cooler full of Hot Dogs, small grill and a hammock slung beside it = a GREAT way to escape the winter blahs!! Thanks for the pic!!!
    And flames......... maybe flames filled with stickers......and
    Dual 12' whip antennas with coon tails tied on the top.........and of course 52" rims with spinners........and Baha lights across the top.....and a big luggage rack on top........ and ah. Curb feelers on all four corners.......... and. Mud flaps with naked lady chrome cutouts..... and wrench on the front and Gerry cans on the rear bumper. ..... and chrome.........lots of chrome
    Bob the DragonSlayer
    NUIS HOMO EST INSULA
    (NO MAN IS AN ISLAND)
    NON ILLEGITIMI CARBORUNDUM (DON'T LET THE BASTARDS GRIND YOU DOWN)
    CARPE DIEM
    (SIEZE THE DAY)

9. Likes rbig1, cowpuc liked this post
    Nys forgotten town
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it was me the uglier the truck the better with all the mechanics of it up to par. I once had a old Mazda it was ugly. I was told that if I left it with the keys in it sitting in the middle of Harlem nobody would ever steal it. It was so rusty a semi going the other way litterally blew the driver side fender off. But it ran like a swiss watch. The urge to spruce up also can bring unwanted attention. But, each to his own. Live the dream and have fun.
    Do you trust your government?
    Ask an Indian.

DOT
    Doing Our Thing

11. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes rbig1, cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170130_173239 (576x1024).jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	108243Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170130_175259 (576x1024).jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	108244well i got it in and tie down brackets installed. alot easier with winch. now to pack up
    rodney swailes

13. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes BlueSky, cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rbig1 View Post
    http://www.venturerider.org/forum/at...hmentid=108243http://www.venturerider.org/forum/at...hmentid=108244well i got it in and tie down brackets installed. alot easier with winch. now to pack up

How did you winch it in with one person? Or did someone help you and you have to rely on someone to help you get it out? Just curious.

United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I bought a 30 foot corded switch, had to change socket on winch. Stuck it on left grip and used it. Worked real slick they have wireless you can install but then there is battery maint. and they cost more. also put bolt through ramp where door pin goes in ramp dont move
    rodney swailes

16. Likes videoarizona, cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes technology beats the heck out of brute force.

Did you try unloading with the winch just for practice while you have help handy?

Did you go for a spin around the neighborhood and over some good bumps with the bike tied down back there just to verify all is good for a trip?
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't. Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

18. Thanks cowpuc gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drove all over today had to tighten one strap. Went thru a cat scale weighed 8600 total. When I got every thing loaded its full. Never stacked any thing. Took charcoal and tripod for cooking. The only thing that makes noise is antenna hits door sometimes. I can live with that. Think I over packed. Got enough tools for repairs. Even picked up a gps for when im lost. Picked up my half of a hog from butcher was supposed to have been done Monday they just finished it at 4 pm today. Think got all bills payed for month. Even the surprise one from today. Getting ansey. Hope to remember what I forgot tomorrow.
    rodney swailes

20. Thanks cowpuc, cecdoo gave thanks for this post
    Likes cowpuc, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOOKING GREAT BROTHER... Any chance you may have tried loading in backward so you could drive it out? Completely doable with the winch... Couple ideas for unloading down yonder - if you can find a ditch, high spot or even a curb to put your ramps on for unloading = makes it much easier - I have a high spot along the road in front of my house that I have used many many times to ramp full sized bikes up into trucks (even lifted ones) with - works great!! Always make sure that pin you got on the nose of the ramp is secure when unloading - great move pinning it Rodney. Another thought - if ya get where your going and its any where near a group of these lop eared VR varmints you could call for a Meet n Greet and then trick everybody into helping you unload (that's what I would do )...

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited for ya Rbig!! Cant wait to hear the trail tales of you CTFW!!!! DONT FORGET YOUR ,,,,,,,,, those desert region states are LOADED with !!!!

Your ol buddy
    Puc
    Kretz = An explanation about all that time flying by? When you were a young scallywag, say 6 years old; one year was a 6th of your lifetime. Now at 60; one year is a 60th of your lifespan & so seems to whiz by in a blink of the proverbial eye. Ten times as fast as when you were that little kid!

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puc the 3,000lb winch can be used for gently lowering the bike down the ramp also. Prevents the issue of the brakes not holding on the slippery metal ramp.

I sure am jealous, I would love to head out on a trip like that. Not to mention all the fun you had building / rebuilding the truck for the trip.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast