IGNORED

'06 RSV "pillow" seat versus "panel" seat?

Iriemon

I recently bought an '06 RSV with the "pillow" stock seat. Wife loves the passenger seat, I don't like the stock driver seat. It is too "pillowy" for my taste, and, being 6'3", I like to sit back in the seat, and the stock seat slides me forward, giving me a "wedgie". So I'm looking for something firmer and that doesn't try to slide me forward in the seat.

There seem to be few options if you just want to replace the front seat. I've narrowed my options to a custom made seat by Diamond, or replacing the stock "pillow" seat with a stock "panel" seat like the ones they had on the '99 and '00 RSVs and the Midnight RSV to '06.

So my question is, has anyone sat on both the "pillow" and "panel" Venture seats who can tell me if there is much of a difference? The "panel" seat looks firmer, and Wiki says "The older seats were more firm than the newer 'pillow top' seats." Though it still looks like it would slide me forward.

If someone who has tried both can share their thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I've had both style seats and prefer the older style better myself. But my dear wife, like yours much prefers the pillow top. I've had both pillow tops modified by Rick Buttler but wish I wouldn't have done mine other then the mod did improve the ball room, if you know what I mean. I have used the wooden seat beads ever since I've had the bike and they help with the softness and also the summer heat very much. They do make it a little cooler in the cold weather though.

• 2 months later...

Hi Iriemon

I have had both. Im 6'4" and 275 and ride a lot of long distance 1000+ days.

I found that both seats were comfortable for about 500- 700 miles and then they both got uncomfortable for me. However with the pillowtop I was able to finish a 1000+ day with less discomfort than the other.

I have had a Russell Day long on for the past year and a half customed to mine and my wifes weight. It was worth the upgrade. With the Russell day long, 1000+ mile days are no problem and I have energy to even do something after I get off the bike.

So if your days are filled with 500 miles or less I think you should be fine. It may take a few rides to find that sweet spot. If you want the band type and your wife likes the pillow top you could probably do that and put a cover over the seat, something like beads or fur and no one would know the difference and you both could have your cake.

My wife loves the Russell Day also, she also preferred the pillowtop before she was fitted for the Russell Day Long also.

Hope that helps.

PS. Everything I think of getting something new I take a ride on Big Blue and lose my mind. I love the Venture. This was the bike for folks our height.

Edited by orlean1

I had a 2009 RSV. Was going to ride direct from Branson, MO to east of Columbia, SC (950 miles).

On recommendation from a HD friend, I got the HD large waffle pad ($90?).

Made the ride straight thru, about 18 hours with stops. It did the trick.

It adds more structure and also the waffle weave lets air pass under your butt. (good for summer)

I still use it on other bikes.

I did also buy a Russell Daylong king/queen saddle USED.

If you find one used, make sure the first owner is about your size. They are custom made.

After I bought, I found out the PO was 6'3" (like you), and I am 5'8".

The seat has wings under the hips that a shorter guy cannot work with. Cannot get feet down safely.

I called Russell and they do not modify used seats.

I sold it to a 6'5" friend for what I had just got it for. He's real happy with it.

Mike G in SC

My pillow top seat is one of the things we miss on long trips on the Victory. But I am a shorter guy than you. Mikes idea of the waffle pad thing may work for you. It may rais you up a bit, but you can stand that.

The HD waffle pad is only about 1/2". It may raise you just a bit because you won't sink in to the pillow top as much. But, it's not like a 1" gel pad.