IGNORED

Had an interchange thought

I have a 96 Royal Star, ya know the tiny carbs and single valve springs. I was thinking if it were possible to use the heads (the upper most piece with the cams) from a newer model with the bigger carbs on the 96.

Anyone know if its possible?

Yup, direct swap. Or you can do what I and some other folks on this site have done and swap the 28mm carbs out for the 32mm. The procedure, parts required, carb set-up, and adapter plate diagram (with dimensions), was published here by "Pegscraper" and should be archived on this site. It's cheaper than a head swap, and a lot less complicated. The ISRA website has directions on how to do the "Bigfoot" airbox mod that works really well with the carb swap. I have the stock exhaust system on my 99 RSTC and the performance increase from just the carb swap and Bigfoot mod is astounding. Whatever you decide to do, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this site and in these fine people who comprise it. Don't hesitate to ask...

You can get the double springs on Ebay, and cams too, and still not have to swap heads. VMAX intake cams will work, the exhaust cams are the same between the VMAX and Venture. You'll have to change the ignition unit to allow a higher rev limit to realize any benefit from the hotter intake cams. If you are going to buy the carbs and intake parts anyway, why not try the swap that I mentioned in my last post before you swap heads? You'll be surprised at how much better the engine breathes with bigger lungs!