IGNORED

yuk with the powder coating

So I have a 96 Royal that had the front end powdercoated. Im none to happy about it. How hard should it be to remove the powder coating from the forks and the fork covers?

If I attempt to remove the coating from the fork covers would I be looking at some messed up stainless?

I truly want a shinny front end again

A lot depends on how properly the powder coat was applied. Was the surface sand blasted to give some tooth for the powder to hold onto? If it is a real good quality powder and applied correctly it will be very hard to remove, If it was cheap powder or not cured correctly it is much easier to remove.

Sooooooo

You have anything from a not to bad of a job to a near disaster.

I would try cleaning a small inconspicuous corner to see how the job was done before just diving in.

The brake disc covers were powder coated and were a chore to strip. I ended up with Aircraft Stripper and it was still a pita. I dont remember if they were stainless to start with or what. But the metal was a dark grey once cleaned of the coating.

I tried on the inside of 1 leg where the fender mounts, and ugh it was a pain. I would heat them up but im afraid I would anneal the aluminum