IGNORED

Fog Lamp Switch

Aimhigh

Just had to replace the fog lamp switch again...second time in the past two years. At $50 a pop, for a device that probably costs a dollar to make is ridiculous. Anyone else have this recurring problem? Any ideas on a more long lasting fix?

So not being savy in the GW world, whats this thing look like? Anything "special" about it? Shape, dimensions etc that would keep you from using something generic?

There is nothing at all special about the switch…in fact, the design is really poor as it has plastic pieces sliding over small contacts…one of which was broken, causing the problem this time. I have seen info on some generic switches from Radio Shack that I like, but the switches are not rain proof. Might have to go with it anyway.

There is nothing at all special about the switch…in fact, the design is really poor as it has plastic pieces sliding over small contacts…one of which was broken, causing the problem this time. I have seen info on some generic switches from Radio Shack that I like, but the switches are not rain proof. Might have to go with it anyway.

So one thing to think about, is that if you have factory wiring, the switch for the fog lights actually carries the current that the lights draw. One thing to think about doing is to add a relay to the circuit so the switch is only seeing the current required to hold the relay coil in and the relay contacts are taking the current to power the fog lights.

I recently re-wired my 2013 driving light system to remove the jumper that had kept the driving lights on all the time, this mod allows me to turn the driving lights on or off regardless of the high beams being on or off. When I did that I added a relay for the driving lights.

I have a wiring diagram of how mine is currently wired if you would like a copy I can send it to you, just send me a PM with your email address.