IGNORED

ball studs

Big Auggie

I was looking at an old post from 2007 talking about the ball stud fix on the side covers for 1st generations. Anybody found a new source for them since then?
While it is certainly easier to buy an appropriate ball stud if you can get one for a reasonable price. It is not difficult to make one from an appropriately sized round head machine screw covered in ABS, JB Weld or similar.

Well drain my battery and call me a discharged dork,, for the life of me I cannot recall anything like that being associated with the side covers on any of my 1st Gens,,, maybe associated with the shifter linkage or something :confused24:

Wish one of you lop eared varmints would enlighten me :confused24:

What cha'll talking about??????:sign67:

Well drain my battery and call me a discharged dork,, for the life of me I cannot recall anything like that being associated with the side covers on any of my 1st Gens,,, maybe associated with the shifter linkage or something :confused24:

Wish one of you lop eared varmints would enlighten me :confused24:

What cha'll talking about??????:sign67:

OK here goes Puc... I'm going to give it a shot. The side covers on the first gens are held on by a ball/post that its into a grommet on the frame. The posts break off, but leave a square base, and the top can be drilled out. One of these ball studs can be attached to the base and replace the broken post. The ball stud will slip into the grommet and you're good to go again.... Are you enlightened?? :whistling:

OK here goes Puc... I'm going to give it a shot. The side covers on the first gens are held on by a ball/post that its into a grommet on the frame. The posts break off, but leave a square base, and the top can be drilled out. One of these ball studs can be attached to the base and replace the broken post. The ball stud will slip into the grommet and you're good to go again.... Are you enlightened?? :whistling:

Well bust my buttons,,, so THAT is the correct way to fix those stupid tabs :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:,,,, and here I been supportin Tie Wraps Are Us for all these years :hurts::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

THANKS Condor - owe ya a cone brother:essen_024:

Wasn't it you I saw using the zip ties at Vogel??:think: Someones bike I was standing looking at with Zip Ties on it and I thought "I'll bet he don't know about the Ball Studs!!!" Maybe I should have mentioned it......:backinmyday: I just wasn't being myself!!!

Probably was bro,, I carry a bundle of zippies with me and only a 1/4 pound of nuts n bolts.. Always figured I saved 7 3/4 pounds of xtra weight by doing so.. Every ounce helps when making sure I can still outrun those 2nd Gens ya know (given away trade secrets here :missingtooth:)..

Now when I came across this last night, I didn't really think that much of it. My issue isn't the Ball studs its the rubber grommet they fit into. Is it possible to find those somewhere? I would love to get rid of the zip ties.

I think Yamaha still sells the Grommets.

Now Condor I would never do a thing like that because I put the stuff up I buy so I won't lose them. I am the proud owner of 5 15mm wrenches, 4 Hammers, Hole crap load of nuts and bolts, 5 pipe wrenches, 2 Battery Chargers, 2 remotes for one tv, I could go on and on. But I am sure you all get the point I get tired of looking for something I put up so I go buy another. Then when I am done and no longer need said Items is when I find them, But the minute I need them I can never find the darned things.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Ok After I went and looked at the side covers what about the c bracket on the lower part that is supposed to fit around the lower bar Grommet?
Find a bit of flat ABS and cut it to fit then glue it in place. Getting it in the right position is of course the tricky part. A lot depends on how much of the old one is left over.

Flat sheets of ABS can be purchased at a plastic store. Unfortunately the only size I have been able to find are about 2' by 3' which leaves a lot left over. I once made a flat piece out of ABS-MEK putty which worked well.