IGNORED

Another grumpy old man rant

Venturous Randy

Linda and I have had a really good summer using the little Time Out Camper this year. We camped at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville for our rally, Lake Greenwood in SC, Hunting Island State Park, SC( right where Matthew came ashore a week later) and Fall Creek Falls State Park in middle Tennessee that has 20,000 acres and the highest waterfall east of the Rockies, last week. We also had wonderful weather and had the Miata with the top down.

So, what's the rant? I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this site, but to me it is so damn irritating to be camping in a beautiful quiet place except for two campsites up the campers have three dogs, all less that a foot high and they are CONSTANTLY barking. And, their barks sound just like taking a piece of chalk and banging it on a chalkboard. Why do these people never understand that those little ankle biters that they think are so cute are not so cute to everyone else. Do they really think that everyone else enjoys the constant racket?

OK, I'm done.

Oh, one more thing; Get off my grass!!! :backinmyday:

Randy

I have 2 ankle biters but they are good they only bark when someone or something walks by and if they start to bark all I have to do is call there names and they stop. I think theses people have not trained the dogs and don't care about training them. And let me say I have an RV and the worst offenders are the people with big dogs the barking carries across the entire campground and they usually don't pick up after them.

Edited by tufftom4

It is a sad but true fact that in order to train a dog you must be smarter than the dog, other wise the dog will train you.

y next door neighbor had a yapper. He could not understand why my dog does not bark, I tell him it is because I trained her, same reason mine does not run away or even leave the yard.

I used to camp with the family, and looked for "Family Friendly" Camp grounds, and after we got a dog "Pet Friendly" campgrounds. Kids are gone, so I always call and ask is this an adult park or a family park. You'd be suprised at how many place answer "oh we a a quiet section, should i reserve you a space there?" Even in the family friendly parks if you get a good 1/4 mile screen of trees between you and the Family side, you barely know their there.

I guess that is one of the reasons I have never camped in a "campground".

I prefer places that even the 2 trackin @cowpuc would not find.

My favorite campsite is 22 miles from the nearest pavement, and you need more than 10 inches of ground clearance to even get in there. I can spend a week and never see or even hear another human the whole time.

Noisy things at campsites that many people do not like: Yapping dogs, screaming kids, loud motorcycles, running generators and my pet peeve, people who think you want to listen to their choice of music.

agree......and if any of those things bother anyone, then wilderness camping or motels is an option. Do we blame a lady whose child is crying on top of its lungs in a mall?? Do we expect her to train or punish her/his child?....or ask her to stay home?:confused24:

:beer:

agree......and if any of those things bother anyone, then wilderness camping or motels is an option. Do we blame a lady whose child is crying on top of its lungs in a mall?? Do we expect her to train or punish her/his child?....or ask her to stay home?:confused24:

Ummmmm..........

Yes..................:duck:

When I was a kid and tried the crying thing, my mom would look at me and tell me that if I did not stop crying, she would give me something to cry about.....and she would too. :ignore:

Randy

When I was a kid and tried the crying thing, my mom would look at me and tell me that if I did not stop crying, she would give me something to cry about.....and she would too. :ignore:

Randy

That is the biggest problem with people today. There isn't enough of that going on. Do that today and you will be in jail

Randy

That is a familiar saying to me as well. These days our mothers could be up on charges and our fathers would be.

PC rules the world and we all have to live with the results.

Randy

Not only did I hear that a lot as a kid, but I also said it a lot as a parent. My kids knew better that to try to see if it was a bluff or not.

Linda and I have had a really good summer using the little Time Out Camper this year. We camped at Mt Pisgah on the Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville for our rally, Lake Greenwood in SC, Hunting Island State Park, SC( right where Matthew came ashore a week later) and Fall Creek Falls State Park in middle Tennessee that has 20,000 acres and the highest waterfall east of the Rockies, last week. We also had wonderful weather and had the Miata with the top down.

So, what's the rant? I know there are a lot of dog lovers on this site, but to me it is so damn irritating to be camping in a beautiful quiet place except for two campsites up the campers have three dogs, all less that a foot high and they are CONSTANTLY barking. And, their barks sound just like taking a piece of chalk and banging it on a chalkboard. Why do these people never understand that those little ankle biters that they think are so cute are not so cute to everyone else. Do they really think that everyone else enjoys the constant racket?

OK, I'm done.

Oh, one more thing; Get off my grass!!! :backinmyday:

Randy

Regardless of the "rant" brother,, you - Linda and the FUN you folks have had chasing the front wheels of your Miata while out exploring the country is an INSPIRATION my friend!! Been contemplating life after all these medical issue reside and gotta tell ya - your influence is greatly appreciated!! :thumbsup:

I guess that is one of the reasons I have never camped in a "campground".

I prefer places that even the 2 trackin cowpuc would not find.

My favorite campsite is 22 miles from the nearest pavement, and you need more than 10 inches of ground clearance to even get in there. I can spend a week and never see or even hear another human the whole time.

Yep,, not much of a campground person either, I actually prefer the "campgrounds with the little tombstones" over the ones with barking dogs/screaming kids and generators running all night :biker:..

22 miles back in the boonies? THAT brings back fond memories of dirt bike camping - TONS OF FUN!!! Maybe a small 4x4 Pickup just big enough for two to sleep in.. Hot Dogs on the camp fire, feet dangling over the rim of some canyon out in Utah,, staring at the sky watching for aliens :guitarist 2:

Speaking of ankle biters, reminds me of a story:

My brother in law (my wife's twin) is a cool cat that I have been friends with for longer than I have been married to my wife (34 years). All the years I have known him, he has been a mans man type of guy. Chop wood, build his own house, fix his own stuff, sports fanatic. Well, about 6 years ago, he met, dated for a while, and married a gal that is smokin hot and 15 years younger than him. I was happy for him and a tad jealous. LOL. Anywho, she brought into the relationship 2 little hideous looking creatures called Yorkies. One named Ollie, and the others name is Snickers. She even has a stroller that she used to push them around in. Keeps bows in their hair. Well, she convinced him to start liking these little rat chasers (she hates it when I call them that). He has to get up in the middle of the night and take them out for a walk. Always has them riding in the car with them. Even saw them at Home Depot one time with them in the basket while they shopped. And get this, they wear doggy diapers so they won't pee on anything. I have been threatening to yank my brother in laws man card. These little suckers have attitudes too. When we go to their house, they are always barking and acting like they want to nip at your heels. I informed his wife that I would drop kick one of those ugly suckers if they ever bit me or my wife. And they always take them to peoples houses like theyre human kids. One hilarious thing that happened a couple years ago: They came over to our house for a family Christmas dinner. Well, they of course decided to bring they're mutts without asking. When they walked into our house, these little bad a$$ attitude ankle biters took a beeline at our 190lb Great Dane (Samson) who was laying half asleep in the living room. AS they ran at Samson barking like they wanted some, he jumped up and scooped up Snickers in his mouth and shook him back and forth like he was shaking a rag doll, and then ran down the hallway with him in his mouth before dropping him and letting him go. That mutt screamed and screamed and whimpered as he ran away and got under the couch. Sounded like he had been killed. Everybody in the family was dying laughing except for my sister and brother in law. She was crying and making a scene. She was so distraught she decided not to eat dinner with us and instead sat in the living room petting her rat chasers. That was the night I had to finally inform my brother in law that he just got a lesson in the type of dogs real men have. LOL.

That is a familiar saying to me as well. These days our mothers could be up on charges and our fathers would be.

PC rules the world and we all have to live with the results.

Yep! me too! Oh the good old days huh?

The thing is I don't think the odd whoopin' did any of us any permanent damage or harm, & if we're honest it was usually well deserved (but now waaaay to many do gooders out there sticking their noses in) it was called discipline or setting out the rules! Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Getting back to the OP yes I think dog owners (& parents) just tune out the racket their pets / offspring are making. Sadly many get quite aggressive if you say anything.

Yep! me too! Oh the good old days huh?

The thing is I don't think the odd whoopin' did any of us any permanent damage or harm, & if we're honest it was usually well deserved (but now waaaay to many do gooders out there sticking their noses in) it was called discipline or setting out the rules! Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

It is simply setting boundaries and enforcing them. It is just that simple.

Randy

Yep,, not much of a campground person either, I actually prefer the "campgrounds with the little tombstones" over the ones with barking dogs/screaming kids and generators running all night :biker:..

22 miles back in the boonies? THAT brings back fond memories of dirt bike camping - TONS OF FUN!!! Maybe a small 4x4 Pickup just big enough for two to sleep in.. Hot Dogs on the camp fire, feet dangling over the rim of some canyon out in Utah,, staring at the sky watching for aliens :guitarist 2:

Tell you the perfect vehicle for that is really any type of Small Suv. I had a really good vehicle for that a Blazer/Jimmy. I also had a Kick ass little Chevy Luv Pickup truck throw a camper on the back Both Vehicles I could camp up the Creek without any paddles and only had to put up with a canoe or maybe a rafter but, they never made much noise unless the boyfriend would decided to be naughty and rock the boat, Flip them both out of it. I have only stayed at campgrounds Twice in my life. I feel I sleep alot better when I'm By running creeks or Rivers tho. I'm Betting I can Get Marie into some of them places but not by the same way I got the 4x4's in. If I get to the point that I can't do Two Wheels I would probably go for them Hybrid Car/Motorcycles I do love the looks of them but can not think of there name.

Edited by snyper316
Spelling

Yes the Polaras Slingshot looks like a wild sports car, it has a steering wheel and you set side by side like a car. The Elio Motors 3 wheeler is more like a motorcycle with one setting behind the other. The Elio is just getting underway with production. There are a couple of Chevy powered trikes out there, The Boss Hog, the Cheetah, and the one that looks like a Model T whose name is escaping me at present...