IGNORED

the new guy needs some help

Hi from SW Ohio i have 2 "running" 1st generation Ventures one mk1 1984 (with a parts bike) and a 1986 mk2 (1300) my dailyrider (with a parts bike) and a 1986 1300 project bobber im working on. I have reached an area where i have some questions i could use some help from the experts here. on the 1984 i cannot get the cms to work i have 2 different dash and neither one has worked could i be missing power from somewhere? so no gas gauge no computer warnings not even the red light. second on the bobber i want to run 4 separate exhaust pipes i know i will have to use something to provide back pressure like either a resonator or baffle of some type im not sure what exactly im looking for but any help would be appreciated.

Hi from SW Ohio i have 2 "running" 1st generation Ventures one mk1 1984 (with a parts bike) and a 1986 mk2 (1300) my dailyrider (with a parts bike) and a 1986 1300 project bobber im working on. I have reached an area where i have some questions i could use some help from the experts here. on the 1984 i cannot get the cms to work i have 2 different dash and neither one has worked could i be missing power from somewhere? so no gas gauge no computer warnings not even the red light. second on the bobber i want to run 4 separate exhaust pipes i know i will have to use something to provide back pressure like either a resonator or baffle of some type im not sure what exactly im looking for but any help would be appreciated.

Four exhaust pipes will require internal baffles. I made the back pressure adjustable with big washers mounted onto rods that go across the exhaust outlet. Rotating the washers opens or closes the exhaust flow. Getting individual carbs to work correctly probably will also require disks with machined openings mounted into the intakes. No restrictions on the intakes will likely be a problem.

zag

83venturerear.jpg

Dan? Is this YammerDan incognito? :missingtooth: Just :stickpoke: and :stirthepot: with ya Skruph,, you see I got this buddy named YammerDan who has a collection of scoots like you and,,, never mind,, long story and getting way off track...

1st off :welcome1: to VR :group cheers:,, with all those AWESOME Ventures in your stable - sure sounds like you landed in the right LZ my friend!!:welcome1:

While never having taking a Venture to the GLORY that my good buddy @zagger has (right there with ya Skruph = EVERYTIME Zag posts a pic of that sweetheart I am like :178::sign Rock On:) I did rat out a ratty ol 1st Gen one time a little.. The muffs and pipes had rotted off it from years of being stored outdoors under an eave so I took some 1 n 1/4 inch thin wall chainlink fence post and fabbed up some pipes for it. I then took some sheet steel and made up some "fin's" for the pipes by taking some bowls from my wifes kitchen cupboard and using them as patterns for drawing the contours for the tails on the sheetmetal with soapstone. I found that clamping the fins closed did help some with the loudness of the pipes (could have done the same with welding washers like Zag mentions or maybe even some butterfly valving like the old 305 Honda's use to utilize..

I did discover something interesting in all that goofing off.. It seemed like as long as I did not mess around with the original airbox design so I changed the airflow thru the carbs I didnt have to mess around with jetting.. That rat bike ran great with open headers, carbs synced up fine and plug color stayed good and wow did it sound awesome (LOVED THE FLAMES IT WOULD SHOOT OUT THE PIPES WHEN BACKING OFF).. Never even raised the metering rods in it and rode it all over including a fast paced trip to Sturgis with a buddy of mine..

Ye be warned though.. Start modding on that airbox - even with stock pipes and carb jetting becomes a must do IMHO..

As far the CMS = might wanna double check the solder connections on the terminal pins.. Have heard they are known to go south and loose connection.. May have to do some resoldering there..

All the best in your project!!! :thumbsup:

PS - Got a buddy here that collects VIN's for a data base around here - his name is @Prairiehammer - GREAT GUY!! Thinking his post about looking for VIN's is in the "1st Gen Tech Section" here on the site.. If you dont mind, you might wanna touch base with him cause with all those scoots you have (even the parts bikes) I am sure he would be thrilled to add them to his list...