IGNORED

Fuel overflow from main jet air bleed

I'm working on an '86 xvz13 for a friend and I got it after someone worked on the carbs but had trouble gettiing them back in. They looked clean so i installed and found all four bowls overflow - clips were not on the float tabs.. Next time it would fire on either and die right out (yes I verified I had fuel in the bowls from drain screw). Carbs off again for a total clean and found the jet blocks weren't touched. Used fine wire and soak and brush and spray all the parts and sprayed the jet block and carb orifices... It runs now but wouldn't rev until it got warm and touchy at that and sluggish AND I see fuel weeping steadily up though the main jet air bleed on carb 1. Oh and I should add that carb 3 has no fuel as observed from bowl drain check and I did totally remove the screw to make sure the tube orifice wasn't clogged. I will be able to get the carb 3 fuel flowing but any ideas on the fuel flowing out that main jet air bleed? I'm wondering if some jets were mixed and I just put them back in same place without verifying position. Anyone have a list of jet sizes and locations?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161022/57905233ddd5e830d3be7f7cbc90bf3b.jpg1021161957a.jpg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Sticky/bad float valve or stuck float with plugged overflow line for the bowl would be my guess.. Be careful running it like that cause it is possible to get so much fuel in that jug that it can hydrolock if I am correct.. You might try tapping on the body of that carb and seeing if you can get it to stop. Sometimes draining the bowl dry and refilling while tapping will dislodge float if its stuck... Dont be shocked if you have to dismantle carbs and do a rebuild though..

Might also wanna double check for fuel in your oil too before you run it much after tinkering with it.. Dont take much gas to contaminate the oil..

Thanks both.. I still think I have a misplaced jet.. I've cleaned and reassembled a few of these carbs now (& many others). The plugs in the jet block are tapered, stuffed in hard, and held in place by the carb body as the jet block is socked down. And I'm sure the overflow tube was clear and I watched it not flow out there. But good point, ill try opening that drain screw and flush it.

I found a table of the jet size/locations along with a cross section of carb showing orifices in a rebuild procedure on the other site. looking closer and thinking, it makes no dam sense to me how fuel could flow up without flowing out of the overflow or the PAJ1 (if float was stuck). it must have something to do with weird vacuum or lack there of in the main jet needle area?? This must have happened to some other riders here... what's the cause?? I think I might have had some fuel spray out of there on my carbs when they were spitting before I rebuilt them and changed my ignition.. But I'm sure this was from the backfires out the carb..

It was a stuck float. But she still isn't running right. I tried my ignetak ignightion and still no good. I was about to test the ignition continuity through the pickups when I noticed the right bank carb piston valves were not fluttering as much as the left so decided to check those diaphrams.. Well one had a tiny pinhole which I remedied with some rtv but then notice one piston valve (the black slider tube mounted to diaphram) had a high spot ring around it and then comparing the two noticed the main jet needle was longer on the rear carb. What!!

and yes, all that fuel did lock up the cylinder. Pulled the plug and got a nice shower..

Get that one Gary,,, had a vacuum pressure regulator on an injected 302 Ford loose a diaphram and fill a jug with raw gas.. Motor was locked up and it was on its way to the junk yard when I grabbed it.. Pulled the plugs just for kicks - bumped the remote start and SWOSH = about nocked me over.. THANKFULLY I had draped the plug wires over the center head so no INSTANT burning Pucster but, I tell you what,, the thought crossed my mind of what that incident could have turned into if I wouldnt have :225::doh::sign67:

Oh yea,, dont forget to change your oil = it is contamintated if she hydroed.. May wanna put a little squirt of Marvel mystery oil (1/2 teaspoon) in each jug and spin er a couple revs to lube the cylinders back up before ya fire er up too..

Got that girl running tonight. After seating the main jet needle, found my makeshift fuel supply wasn't giving enough fuel AND. The peacock had to be cocked between on and reserve. Also needed the airbox socked on and covered. Much more touchy on the intake than my '84.. Plugging the leaky tire and synching the carbs tomorrow and sending her out to play.