IGNORED

Here's something to chat about.

Condor

Eliminating protective gear based on "motorcycle intelligence" will certainly compromise your health when a car pulls out in front of you! Or maybe this can only be used on the roads of the future which don't have bad drivers, potholes, bugs, and gravel.

Looks to me that BMW needs to make less money and lay off some of their "deep thinkers"!

zag

Eliminating protective gear based on "motorcycle intelligence" will certainly compromise your health when a car pulls out in front of you! Or maybe this can only be used on the roads of the future which don't have bad drivers, potholes, bugs, and gravel.

Looks to me that BMW needs to make less money and lay off some of their "deep thinkers"!

zag

Amen to that. I think it is an ugly POS.

Sheesh,, talk about taking all the fun out of scootin.. :missingtooth:

I betcha that Motorcycle LEO in California who gave us a ticket cause Tip's helmet was White and looked to much an Officer's Helmet wouldn't even bat an eye about writing the helmetless rider of that scoot a ticket for no helmet no matter what the manufacture says :mugshot::big-grin-emoticon:

Same token though,, I would LOVE to take that concept scoot out for a rip!!!!:thumbsup:

BMW is amazing in their RnD (putting you to SHAME if your reading this Mom Yam). My nephew just picked up a brand new BMW dual sport adventure scoot.. BIG money for a trail bike IMHO but WOWZY does it have all the whistles and bells.. Got some kind of electronical traction control that you can wick it up as hard as you want = front wheel will lift about and an inch off the ground (and its a 1200cc) and it will NOT spin, will lift the front up about an inch and stay there = NO WAY TO GO OVER BACKWARDS IN THAT MODE.. Put er in "normal" mode and 4 gear wheelies any time..

Good article Jack - definitely a worthy chat point!!:thumbsup:

I personally think this is a cool looking bike and I will be a potential customer for it when and if they hit the road!

For those talking about safety, I agree that a helmet will always be an important piece of kit no matter what tech there is in the future for any vehicle that doesn't have a cage around the driver.....but please remember that when this bike is on the road all the cars around you will also be "Driverless" or "computer driver assisted" too. This will significantly reduce the risk of stupid driver error that usually causes the majority of accidents. Also, the computer driven cars will be programmed to SEE and RESPECT motorcycles on the road compared to what happens today on the roads by silly humans. Instead of "Loud pipes saves lives" it will be "good technology in my Bike and the Cars around me saves lives". But of course, that is just my opinion...

CNN has a cool "BMW promotional video" on the bike too if you are interested: http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2016/10/12/bmw-motorcycle-vision-next-100-cnnmoney.cnnmoney

I personally think this is a cool looking bike and I will be a potential customer for it when and if they hit the road!

For those talking about safety, I agree that a helmet will always be an important piece of kit no matter what tech there is in the future for any vehicle that doesn't have a cage around the driver.....but please remember that when this bike is on the road all the cars around you will also be "Driverless" or "computer driver assisted" too. This will significantly reduce the risk of stupid driver error that usually causes the majority of accidents. Also, the computer driven cars will be programmed to SEE and RESPECT motorcycles on the road compared to what happens today on the roads by silly humans. Instead of "Loud pipes saves lives" it will be "good technology in my Bike and the Cars around me saves lives". But of course, that is just my opinion...

CNN has a cool "BMW promotional video" on the bike too if you are interested: http://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/2016/10/12/bmw-motorcycle-vision-next-100-cnnmoney.cnnmoney

100% percent right there with ya Riv!! Hopefully by that time the confounded things are also smart enough to fix themselves too cause by that time I gotta hunch that the back yard mechanic days will be a thing of the past...

To start another rabbit trail like I have a bad habit of doing,,,, couple this with that little video someone posted about new Drone technology.. I personally cannot wait till someone makes an affordable 2 seater drone that flies as simple and as safe as this bike... I spect we're gonna all be @Flyinfool's when that happens... Amazing time of life!!!!!!!!!!:big-grin-emoticon:

I think it's gonna be sort of like the Victory Vision, you either love it or hate it, nothing between!

I like the Victory Vision. Wouldve already had one a long time ago, but the storage room in the saddlebags is anemic for a full dresser touring bike. The discussions i've had at the Victory dealerships say that is the most common complaint they hear about the Vision. Not sure why Victory hasn't corrected that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an odd looking creation, not clear on why safety gear no longer needed. I will say one thing though, BMW and MB are two manufacturers that often introduce industry firsts. I'm sure it would not look like this if it went to production, it's fugly at best but there may be some slick tech stirring within that could make it to production models eventually.

I guess the technology makes this bike immune to a tire blowout, or a texter running a red light, or creaming you from behind while you are stopped a t a red light. or sideswiped on the freeway, or even just going into a curve to fast and finding gravel or any of the other myriad of things that you have no control over that can take you out.

It's a pretty cool concept alright. Not quite ready for touring though.

Assuming Darwin has not revoked his rules by then, we already have riders for it who by their right have chosen T's, shorts and flip-flops as suitable riding gear.