IGNORED

Route planning apps or software

Great adVENTURE

Now we all know getting lost can be the best part of a ride. But for sake of efficiency to cover as much distance in the shortest possible time by still enjoying the things around you. What are you using to plan a trip or route? I dont one want to spend the money on a $400 and up gps when I have smart phones, tablets, and a basic gps. I have tried multiple apps that I could use from the home pc then log in on any one of my devices and have all the info across all the platforms. After many weeks of trial and error the best I could come up with so far is REVER. Is anyone else here registered on REVER? I would love to find something that would give me voice navigation but without spending money I don't think that exists. Sorry for rambling on but what do you use and does it fit your needs?

I haven't found one yet I like but I also haven't spent a lot of time researching it either.

The GPS I used on my July trip was ok except it wasn't designed for motorcycles so sunlight and rain created problems.

My smartphone (Galaxy s7) was good until it rained and the water droplets hitting the screen made it go nuts.

My wife's Can Am spyder is missing the Garmin Zumo but I am thinking that is going to be the way for me to go.

Likewise I am having difficulty spending $400 for a GPS.

I haven't found one yet I like but I also haven't spent a lot of time researching it either.

The GPS I used on my July trip was ok except it wasn't designed for motorcycles so sunlight and rain created problems.

My smartphone (Galaxy s7) was good until it rained and the water droplets hitting the screen made it go nuts.

My wife's Can Am spyder is missing the Garmin Zumo but I am thinking that is going to be the way for me to go.

Likewise I am having difficulty spending $400 for a GPS.

I currently have my older iPhone 5s and iPad Air both with lifeproof cases mounted with ram mounts. That's fine for weather but I don't always want to take the route recommended by Google. Sometimes I just want to spend a few days ahead of my trip and map it out myself but instead of using notes written down utilize the technology.

I have used a Garmin 765t for many years. Not a bike specific made unit but it is able ro upload a route you make. I use Tyre, its a free program. I also think Tyre is making an app, so you might look it up and see. For planning out a route, and getting a good idea how long and where you might need fuel etc, microsoft street and trips is nice and the newer version is able to save as GPX files.

I use road atlas, paper maps, topi maps, knowledge of area, articles on area, gut feelings about roads that just look interesting. To rough out miles I use online Map Quest or AAA Trip Tics. I write routes and/or fuel stops on windshield and/or note card in water proof window on jacket sleeve. Yep, I'm old school. Makes trips interesting. I might add a Garmin Zumo 660, cheaper than the newest GPSs out, to use in cities.

I like the Here We go GPS app on my Galaxy S5 and an 8" Galaxy WIFI tablet. The S5 does have the goes nuts in rain issue. the here app is single destination routing only I kinda work around that by finding the next few destinations in the morning so they are in the drop down menu to pick next as I arrive at each destination. I can also click on addresses in email I have sent to the phone the GPS then opens with them in the destination. The blue tooth to my helmet is wonderful.

rsv gps 004.JPG

I have removed the cassette and have a tray to slip (hide) the tablet in now.

I just use Google maps that's in my phone as a gps. It plays through my Bluetooth very nicely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I got to ask How do you get it to play thru bluetooth with radio on? Also has anyone had problems with the map losing gps signal since Late July? I am starting to get frustrated with it. It also shows me side roads as I am going down the road with estimated new times like +/- minutes.

I got to ask How do you get it to play thru bluetooth with radio on? Also has anyone had problems with the map losing gps signal since Late July? I am starting to get frustrated with it. It also shows me side roads as I am going down the road with estimated new times like +/- minutes.

The Bluetooth hooks to my phone. Has nothing to do with the radio. I don't have the Yamaha head sets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I am a huge fan of Waze! Route planning on my android ( also available for the iPhone ) that provides real time traffic, speed traps, and accidents. All road conditions are reported by users so it is constantly updated as you drive. Check it out at http://www.waze.com. Or download it from Google Play Store or iTunes.

I never drive (or ride) without it.

Thomas

I love google maps for the number of features they offer in an app. But when ever I make custom routes and pull it up later it always defaults to there navigation rather than mine. All other experiences with apps I can create routes but the just map layers not navigation. I used REVER Yesterday on a great tour thru the New Jersey pine barons area and it went quite successfully but again no navigation just a map overlay.

image.jpg

I like the Here We go GPS app on my Galaxy S5 and an 8" Galaxy WIFI tablet. The S5 does have the goes nuts in rain issue. the here app is single destination routing only I kinda work around that by finding the next few destinations in the morning so they are in the drop down menu to pick next as I arrive at each destination. I can also click on addresses in email I have sent to the phone the GPS then opens with them in the destination. The blue tooth to my helmet is wonderful.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107500

I have removed the cassette and have a tray to slip (hide) the tablet in now.

I have downloaded the here we go app and will give that a try as soon as I get a dry day, forecast is 6 days of rain :rain2:

The biggie about Here is it works off line, download the (USA, or state by state, whole world available) maps when you have wifi. you don't need/use data on the road. Hopefully it will remain a free ap, Nokia sold it to a European automakers consortium. which is good cause they will keep improving it.

I turned to TYRE (the PC program) because I was just about to blow my brains out trying to figure out Base Camp and Map source for Garmin. OH y p imblrn that stuff. The Tyre stuff makes sense, you can drag and drop the route and add stops. EZ once you fool around with it.