IGNORED

Thinking Goldwing F6B

Mike G in SC

Anyone of our Goldwing riders have a F6B?

I've been trying to sell my 2009 RSV here and there (but don't think I want to do Craigslist).

So, was thinking about trading to a Honda dealer for a Goldwing F6B.

I'm looking for your input. Right now the 2016 F6B Deluxe has internet prices as low as $16,700. (probably rebates to dealer)

My two up bike, that has replaced the RSV is a Goldwing trike. Had it most of a year and trust the Goldwing, power and dependability.

I am considering the F6B as my solo ride. (My current solo bike is a 2006 RSTD, may trade it too.)

I want to stay with 4+ cylinders and water cooled, which now says Goldwing. (big thanks Yamaha)

So, was wondering thoughts from GW owners of getting a F6B vs a basic Goldwing. Again, looking for just me, not two up.

Thanks, Mike G in SC

I really like the looks of the F6B and sticking with one brand means you already have a leg up on maintenance.

For a one up bike, have you looked at the 2016 FJR 1300? It's almost perfect with ABS, cruise control, adjustable suspension, 127 HP, 635 lbs etc... except for limited storage and no adequate room for a passenger.

I really like the looks of the F6B and sticking with one brand means you already have a leg up on maintenance.

For a one up bike, have you looked at the 2016 FJR 1300? It's almost perfect with ABS, cruise control, adjustable suspension, 127 HP, 635 lbs etc... except for limited storage and no adequate room for a passenger.

Camos, Thanks, but I got a height problem, 29" inseam. I have sat on the FJR at dealers a couple times. With my left foot flat, no way the right will be grounded. But thanks for the reply. So, same for a BMW. Mike G

F6B is a great riding machine that is lighter and has less bells and whistles than a wing. Shorter windshield. However, rides and handles superbly. Do I own one? No, but test rode one and if I could afford another "newer" bike, the F6B would be on the short list. FJR, V strom, F6B, RS1100, blackbird would be my choices, not in that order.

once you ride a F6B or a wing, you'll only ask one question: what took so long???

F6B is a great riding machine that is lighter and has less bells and whistles than a wing. Shorter windshield. However, rides and handles superbly. Do I own one? No, but test rode one and if I could afford another "newer" bike, the F6B would be on the short list. FJR, V strom, F6B, RS1100, blackbird would be my choices, not in that order.

once you ride a F6B or a wing, you'll only ask one question: what took so long???

So, what would your order be?

So, what would your order be?

based on today's feelings:

v strom for something different and for not caring if it's dirty and riding in rain and mud

F6B for the solo riding, know the wing platform, black looks like a bat mobile aka bat wing

FJR, because it just seems bad ass

Blackbird. Just to say I have one, wouldn't ride it much most likely

Both FJR and BMW sit higher and I'm on the shorter side so, I'm not sure

kawasaki concourse also would be nice, unsure how I feel about leaning all the time

My big bone to pick with Honda on the F6B is why oh why in the world did they take a bike with nice touring chops and strip off and not offer an available upgrade to add stuff. NO Cruise!!! What the heck were they thinking?? No GPS or option. Just seems silly. Victory Octane.

My big bone to pick with Honda on the F6B is why oh why in the world did they take a bike with nice touring chops and strip off and not offer an available upgrade to add stuff. NO Cruise!!! What the heck were they thinking?? No GPS or option. Just seems silly. Victory Octane.

Dion,

i agree about no cruise being silly. They could have added that. If I'm not mistaken, the deluxe version comes w cruise but it's not standard

I have not read much about it since the initial release of the bike I guess. I think maybe it could have been in the running when I was looking. Defiantly one of the best touring bike on the road. Even without a trunk if you had a backrest and luggage rack you can pack some serious gear.

I live in middle SC. There is a Rockingham, NC dealer (75 miles) who sells Wings wholesale. So, a new 2016 FB6 Deluxe is $16,700 with no hidden fees. (F6B Standard for $14,999 but if you're going to buy, buy deluxe.) List is more in the low $20k.

But, as they wholesale, they have no interest in taking the Venture as trade. The normal dealers start at list and work down, with your trade. But right now they are not full of inventory.

Sunday, a STAR friend of mine brought his 2014 FB6 Deluxe over. We went on a nice 80 mile ride with twists. Me on his F6B Deluxe, him on my GW trike. Mind you I have not rode a 2 wheel wing yet, the bike is a great handler, with immediate power.

We didn't get on the interstate to sustain, say 80 but no doubt it would do so fine.

The bad(?), the bench seat. The RSV and RSTD, you sit "in" it, the F6B, you feel you are setting ON it. I was already having a bad back day and it got amplified.

Another bad for me is the bags opening out instead of top. For me that spells avalanche.

I have an Ultimate on my Goldwing trike (PO spent $1295) and on my RSTD, so will think about that, see what Des has for the F6B.

So what I have found out in the last few days is that the F6B is a tremendous machine. If I got past the seat, might be on the top of that wish list.

But with the likely dealer not taking my trade, I will alternate my route. I'm taking it to a dealer for consignment. I'm retired with 3 paid for bikes in the stable so, no hurry.

With where I am now, as Steve K told me last year, maybe look at a two wheel GL1800 as my solo ride (and my GW trike for two up).

Thanks Steve K for your PM of the lightly used F6B. Wonder why he is selling after 750 miles, guessing it's a comfort thing, which this bike is hit or miss.

I like the size of my old RSTD but want new, if I could find a midnight RSTD in a box at a dealer, it would go on the top of the list.

Thanks all for the discussion. Mike G in SC

SHOOOOT 750 miles????? That aint even the first oil change. Buyers remorse? Bought it then got shamed by his HD friends about no T-Shirts? Maybe If its right it will work out Mike. Your cash is green and spends all day everyday, well until say Nov 8th. Then who knows we may be trading in Pokemon cards or something.

Mike,

many people modify, or replace the stock seat with any number of aftermarket, long distance seats with backrests. Some like Steve have the ultimate and many many people like it. It stinks that it will cost a few pennies to see what works best for you. Also, a air hawk, or even beads will decrease pain and positioning. I picked up a seat modified for shorter riders. Works great, but after riding with Steve K, 2weeks ago on a much longer trip than previous, it was awful and his beads( sounds weird I know) and my wife's air hawk did help out. When I returned I purchased a Russell Day Long seat.

bottom line is, if you really like an F6B and the price is within your numbers, the seat mod/change is the easy part. Riding that bike everyday without grinning will be the hard part

Sadly, none of the aftermarket seats are cheap. I agree it's a lot of scratch to "see" if it works. If I am not mistaken, ultimate will allow you to use be for 10 or 14 days. They're located in Daytona/Ormand beach area ( closer to Steve than me). Give them a call? Option 2: pick up a use OEM or modified seat off the sites or Flea bay. Option 3 : use gel seat, air hawk or beads on your killer F6B which is the cheapest of the options given, and work your way up to a seat you choose.

Option 4: don't listen to anything I just suggested :) :)

Sadly, none of the aftermarket seats are cheap. I agree it's a lot of scratch to "see" if it works. If I am not mistaken, ultimate will allow you to use be for 10 or 14 days. They're located in Daytona/Ormand beach area ( closer to Steve than me). Give them a call? Option 2: pick up a use OEM or modified seat off the sites or Flea bay. Option 3 : use gel seat, air hawk or beads on your killer F6B which is the cheapest of the options given, and work your way up to a seat you choose.

Option 4: don't listen to anything I just suggested :) :)

Barry, I do have an Ultimate on my GW trike. PO installed it. And Got a 4 piece set on my RSTD, so I know the comfort, and have talked to Des, Ultimate owner over the years. Yeah, it is the way to go. I'm used to their pricing.

The bigger issue would be spending $18K to hope the seat works, LOL.

So, still on the drawing board on the FB6. I need to dispose of a couple other bikes before I buy. (Oh, not wife's idea, mine.)

But, at least now I have 80 miles on one.

Thanks, Mike G.

So why would a GW seat not fit the FB6? You said you had a comfy seat on your GW right?

Dion, I might ask a dealer that question because I actually have a almost new 2008 GW seat in my barn. (PO put a Ultimate seat on my GW trike and gave me the OEM seat.)

But, it most likely will not as it has a queen passenger seat (detached back rest).

I note that they (GW and FB6) are two different seats on the Ultimate GW pages.

Thanks, Mike G.

In Mike's case his GL trike is an 08, that model was the same up to 2010, then in 2011 Honda moved the GL production line back to Japan, and retooled. There was not GL in 2011 and in 2012 the current version was released, seats from models prior to 2012 will not fit 2012 and up models. I am not sure when Honda started the F6B, but I am fairly certain it was after 2012. Plus as Mike noted they are different and the GL passenger seat uses the trunk as part of the support for the passenger back rest.