IGNORED

Resurrecting 96

First post.

So a buddy moved off island and asked to store bike in my yard until he could sell or ship it over....2.5 years later still there and hasn't moved. Decided to take matters into my hands and purchase it.

Have a number of issues here's my biggest one:

1. had a clutch issue. Wouldn't go into 1st. Then it acted like stuck in upper gears. Bleed clutch right?

Took it apart and found that the rubber master cylinder diaphragm is ripped. Water has been leaking in for who knows how long. It's not clear dot4, not yellow, not brown, think day old McDonald's chocolate milk shake with chunks.

• Cleaned out top and bled until fresh dot4 coming through... What a pain.
  • Positive pressure built up after a few hours. Still no joy
  • disassembled clutch. Verified moved outward on clutch function
  • disassembled clutch...basket not pitted. Drained oil.
  • Found rear brake frozen on (save for problem 2.) and no pressure on brakes...order rebuild kit
  • Bunch of little stuff found on way (but she's pretty)
  • trying to verify frictions but my caliper is missing-planning on replacing clutch plates (vendor ideas Barnett?)
  • removed clutch to work tranny...
  • No joy. Can get 5,4,3,2,N but not 1st
  • shifter shaft seems very weathered and tired but didn't see bending. Will replace: shifter shaft, stopper lever assembly (wheel thing on tranny knob), shifter lever assmbly on from peg to shifter shaft, master cylinder rebuild kit, and probably clutch plates

So here's my problem. The bikes had 20 years of neglect. Not sure if I have a tranny issue. Two options: pull engine or not. It started few months ago. Open to all ideas. Thanks.

1. I'm thinking will replace said things and get running. (All fluids, all master and slave cylinders, brake pads, drain fuel, and all filters, gaskets,etc...). If my parts and rebuild should I leave engine alone?

2. Should I just pull engine and do major clean up? Paint, Polish, and figure out tranny,etc...

ps. Wonderful wife said "just tear it all the way down and put it together at least you know it's right." Love her. Know I can do it but rather be riding...

First thing welcome aboard. Puc uses a syringe out of farm store to back flush carb bowls. I tried it and it helped. If it was me would want to hear it run. The plug caps probably need cleaned before it will start. I haven't worked on a rstd though. That way you will know if computer is working on all cylinders. I'm more of a heavy equipment mec. There are quite a few on here that can get you through the rough areas. Good wrenching and again welcome. Don't forget before and after pics.:thumbsup2:

Sounds like you have some work ahead of you. I would not suggest being quick on the trigger pulling the motor. Most of what you are dealing with can be accomplished without getting that drastic. Since you already have the clutch out and are ordering parts I would also order an "Upgraded" Shift Cam Segment. Here is the link, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?40713-Clunky-Shifting. Patshark.com or Yamahapartshouse.com (Babbitt's Sports Center) are my two choices when ordering parts. After cleaning or replacing the lollypop bearings on your shift rods and rebuilding/replacing the master/slave cylinders the shifting issue should go away. Pull the carbs and give them a good clean. Check the carb boots while you have them off. Surface cracks are OK, you can use Plastic Dip for a cosmetic repair. If is more than that, replace them. It's not a bad idea to put a few drops of light oil in each cylinder and rotate the engine before you try to crank it up. My 97 had been sitting for several years and had some of the same problems. Rebuild all the calipers and the master cylinders on the brakes. You'll be glad you did. All new brake lines will also give you piece of mind when you "NEED" to stop. Post some pictures and keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks odie,

yes i I have some work ahead. Great advice on parts. Added them to my list from yamahaparts house. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

I li agree I don't want to take engine out unless necessary but just asking input. Glad to know I'm not alone in issues....

Your never alone on this site!!! Go ahead and spend the $12 to join. Not only will you gain access to the Tech Library, you'll find a wealth of knowledge, friendship and fun (with a little ribbing) along the way. The members here have "Been there, Done that" on virtually anything you might run into. Welcome to the site.

• 1 year later...

Ok guys. sooo a year later. been a little busy with other projects and work. in my defense, a boat has been taking up a bunch of my "free time"

ty odie, i'm now a paying member here.

here's what I've found on the shifter segment. looks like something broke clear off. not quite metal, not quite plastic. I found these shavings all over inside of segment area...obviously I'm replacing parts below per the suggestion above....

my question is anybody seen this before? anything else could be busted? not just loose pins but something clearly met a painful death here.

checked the pins and they are all where they are supposed to be a little loose. but think I found one I cant shift into first.

http://i64.tinypic.com/21o1t88.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ivywxf.jpg

my plan going forward is to replace:

4NK-18185-00-00- segment

93604-12037-00- dowel pins

93604-16092-00- dowel pin

any other suggestions guys (girls welcome too, of course)?