IGNORED

1986 Free the Venture Restoration

So, I picked up an 86 Venture Royale for free. It needs a full rebuild and resto. Here's the photos that I have taken today of a walk-around.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/14264053_198885963857962_2360986998045106899_n.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/14264258_198886060524619_2688322584853031883_n.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/14359093_198885743857984_8639332482141754444_n.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/14369940_198886177191274_1774682196244863137_n%201.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/14238312_198885853857973_965086558919007892_n.jpg

So, as you can ascertain to state the obvious she's in need of a LOT of love. It is my intention to use this thread to document the restoration of back to showroom floor condition. There is no timeline or deadline for this project as it is obviously going to have to be pieced together here and there as finances permit. There's parts available that came with the bike, but for the time being are stuck in storage until such time as I'm able to get them cleaned up properly. Wish me luck.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck! IMHO there is no such thing as a free horse, boat or motorcycle! All will cost you time, money or your sanity.:mo money:

This is very true in all things, but at the moment I'm just happy to have a foundation upon which to move forward. Shortly I'll take some photos of the parts that I have that are in the storage unit. Thankfully from my research on EBay, much of the more expensive items I have already, though their condition is questionable to me. This is my first full dress bike as I'm most familiar with Harley-Davidson Sportsters so I'm more than a tad out of my comfort zone however this is the only way one can grow.

Welcome to the site. Looks like you have a job ahead of you.

I'm working on an 85 Royale right now. PO took it apart to paint several years ago then stopped.

You might be interested in the Maintenance day here in Sweeny TX on Oct 15 weekend. Here is the link to the calendar. To sign up if your interested.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=478&day=2016-10-15&c=1

Should be several riders here familiar with 1st gens.

First thing I would do is make sure it turns over and then try it on some starting fluid. Then you might want to check on the title. At least with an 86 your should not have to worry about second gear issue.

Good luck and looking forward to your progress.

Here's what mine looks now

DSC03848.jpgDSC03854.jpg

Wow, you certainly have a long road ahead of you. Which makes me wonder is it the destination or the journey you seek. Meaning is the project itself your motivation. If so, I get that. If the end result is your motivation, I'm wondering why not just buy one in good shape. You will spend far, far less without all the work. The cost of the plastic body parts alone would make the project economically unfeasible to take it back to factory showroom condition as you described.

If I was given that free bike, and it were me, I would build a cool one off custom with the rolling frame and mechanical and not go back to the original touring bike concept. That's just me.

Regardless good luck and I'm looking forward to following your build project.

I have a guys name on the back burner but problem is I believe he had an 83 he told me he would sell me for 500 bux shipped. he did tell me he sold the tci off of it...

Here is the Ebay Listing but like I said its an 83

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PARTING-Complete-83-Yamaha-Xvz12-Nice-Body-Work-Cases-Ecu-Dash-Pipes-10k-/142114051905?vxp=mtr

I agree with dragonslayer. If you want an inexpensive touring bike then just buy one. And if you just. Want to breath life into this particular bike, then start with life and go minimal on the build.. I think they look cool long and low without the tail section

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Well as far as why I'm doing what I'm doing? The answer for me is very simple: the pride of building something with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. It is very true that I could just go out and purchase a pre-owned venture/wing/evo electra-glide, but ask anyone that has done a DIY item, there's an intangible pride that comes with standing back and looking at the finished product and going "yeah that's me, all me". I also have to state that I have the bags, tour trunk, air dam, tank cover, upper and lower fairings, windshield, rider backrest, front fender all in a storage unit. I just haven't been able to get up to the storage unit to take photos of my inventory as of recent and there are more parts that I have on the way on Monday.

There's no rational reason for riding or working on motorcycles. What we do is fundamentally based on passion, it's illogical for us to ride on 2 wheels when we could be in a caged vehicle with safety features, back up cameras, airbags, etc. So far as I'm able to decipher (and yes pics will be coming from the storage unit as to what I have because there are quite a few that Idk wtf they are) that the bike outside of the nuts, bolts, and fasteners is mostly all there. The only two body parts that I know that I have that are questionable are the upper fairing halves.

What do I want out of the endgame? A custom painted Venture as close to factory specs as I can get. I have a fully functioning workshop and this isn't my first project. It is my first metric though. The lion's share of my experience comes from rebuilding basketcase shovelheads, evo's and sportsters. Make no mistake, when I first pulled in to pick the bike up, I almost drove away and went home. This bike for me feels special for some reason though. I wouldn't set it up and gone forward with the project if I truly in my heart felt it was impossible. I'm going to say that my biggest blessing with this bike is I have my wife's support to go forward with it.

All I can say is that it's a labor of love. I WANT to do this bike, to put as much of myself into it as I can. It's not to flip and turn a profit, it's just to say that I did it my way.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I ordered the bolts to reattach the subframe to the frame today, predicted day for delivery is thursday.

Edited by Asher1877

Okay I'm under the impression I put the cart before the horse. As you can see from my original photos, the subframe and gas tank were removed. Upon reading a different post, I learned that the subframe has to be removed in order to remove the gas tank (yes I have the subframe and the gas tank) Does the subframe have to be off in order to re-install the gas tank? I'm unaccustomed to having the under-seat tank so I'm attempting to mentally engineer this in my noggin. I've been going over the technical manual (.pdf) trying to find the information in the technical manual and I haven't come across what I'm looking for as of yet.

Well as far as why I'm doing what I'm doing? The answer for me is very simple: the pride of building something with 8 fingers and 2 thumbs. It is very true that I could just go out and purchase a pre-owned venture/wing/evo electra-glide, but ask anyone that has done a DIY item, there's an intangible pride that comes with standing back and looking at the finished product and going "yeah that's me, all me". I also have to state that I have the bags, tour trunk, air dam, tank cover, upper and lower fairings, windshield, rider backrest, front fender all in a storage unit. I just haven't been able to get up to the storage unit to take photos of my inventory as of recent and there are more parts that I have on the way on Monday.

There's no rational reason for riding or working on motorcycles. What we do is fundamentally based on passion, it's illogical for us to ride on 2 wheels when we could be in a caged vehicle with safety features, back up cameras, airbags, etc. So far as I'm able to decipher (and yes pics will be coming from the storage unit as to what I have because there are quite a few that Idk wtf they are) that the bike outside of the nuts, bolts, and fasteners is mostly all there. The only two body parts that I know that I have that are questionable are the upper fairing halves.

What do I want out of the endgame? A custom painted Venture as close to factory specs as I can get. I have a fully functioning workshop and this isn't my first project. It is my first metric though. The lion's share of my experience comes from rebuilding basketcase shovelheads, evo's and sportsters. Make no mistake, when I first pulled in to pick the bike up, I almost drove away and went home. This bike for me feels special for some reason though. I wouldn't set it up and gone forward with the project if I truly in my heart felt it was impossible. I'm going to say that my biggest blessing with this bike is I have my wife's support to go forward with it.

All I can say is that it's a labor of love. I WANT to do this bike, to put as much of myself into it as I can. It's not to flip and turn a profit, it's just to say that I did it my way.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I ordered the bolts to reattach the subframe to the frame today, predicted day for delivery is thursday.

So, it's the journey you seek. I think we all get that being in the brotherhood of bikedom. I too, as many others have taken the 1st gen pilgrimage you are about to embark on. And haven done so, are proud to offer our advice and wisdom and insite to aid you in the mission you are anxious to undertake.

As for my earlier point of view, for myself,at this stage of life, I find that once a Dragon has been slain there is no need to slay it again.

But, to you I say have at it and God's speed.

P.S. it's good you have all 8 fingers and both thumbs, you are gonna need them. :-):stickpoke:

Edited by Dragonslayer

Okay I'm under the impression I put the cart before the horse. As you can see from my original photos, the subframe and gas tank were removed. Upon reading a different post, I learned that the subframe has to be removed in order to remove the gas tank (yes I have the subframe and the gas tank) Does the subframe have to be off in order to re-install the gas tank? I'm unaccustomed to having the under-seat tank so I'm attempting to mentally engineer this in my noggin. I've been going over the technical manual (.pdf) trying to find the information in the technical manual and I haven't come across what I'm looking for as of yet.

Ok I have done this... The subframe goes on after you put the gas tank in there is a bracket at the top of the tank that I put on losely to kinda hold the gas tank. Then I put the 2 bolts in the back where the crash bars are and kinda role it into position over the tank. Then I take the bolt that screws to the top of the tank and thread it a couple of turns. Then I go to the front of that frame and line up the holes and screw them in some and double check to make sure I haven't missed anything then I tighten up the neck bracket then do the to front bolts to the frame. Then I tighten up the bolt for the tank. Then I go to lower bolt and nut. Only one problem I have an 83 But I can't imagine it being much difference other then how the saddle bags go on.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, we're moving this week and then a week from now we have a business trip to vegas so expect about two weeks to three weeks before any further updates beyond I've purchased a cover for the bike and I now have the bolts to connect the subframe to the frame. I'm also in the process of trying to decipher how to secure the fuel tank to the frame.

Apologies for the lack of updates, we're moving this week and then a week from now we have a business trip to vegas so expect about two weeks to three weeks before any further updates beyond I've purchased a cover for the bike and I now have the bolts to connect the subframe to the frame. I'm also in the process of trying to decipher how to secure the fuel tank to the frame.

Its a long bolt in the center of the subframe

s-l225.jpgs-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg I put the gas tank on and put this small bracket over the neck loosely. then I bring up the sub frame and put it up loosely. Then I Put the long bolt in and snug it.. Then I tighten everything else on. Hope this helps you decipher.

Its a long bolt in the center of the subframe

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107509http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107508http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107507http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107510 I put the gas tank on and put this small bracket over the neck loosely. then I bring up the sub frame and put it up loosely. Then I Put the long bolt in and snug it.. Then I tighten everything else on. Hope this helps you decipher.

Thank you so very much!

Don't know if this will help you any but here is a picture of the crash bar and subframe

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107511http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107512http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107513http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=107514

I am not sure if yours will be the same or not. Yours is an 86 with updated saddle bags that open from the top.

No clue as of yet, as I said, I've got a whole bunch of parts in a storage unit that I need to get cleaned up and identify. It's top of the list when I get back. I'll post the photos, rely on you guys for what to keep, what's trash and the usual I don't know what it is. I know for plastic I have side panels, faux tank cover, left and right bags (one is missing a lid from what I can tell) trunk and rack, a bunch of black plastic and metal covers? and a questionable upper and lower fairing. Like I said, photos will come.

No clue as of yet, as I said, I've got a whole bunch of parts in a storage unit that I need to get cleaned up and identify. It's top of the list when I get back. I'll post the photos, rely on you guys for what to keep, what's trash and the usual I don't know what it is. I know for plastic I have side panels, faux tank cover, left and right bags (one is missing a lid from what I can tell) trunk and rack, a bunch of black plastic and metal covers? and a questionable upper and lower fairing. Like I said, photos will come.

Cool.. sounds like you have got almost a complete bike. I never realized just how much plastic was to one of these bikes till I took mine all apart trying to fix things.

s-l225 (2).jpg

s-l225 (1).jpg

Cool.. sounds like you have got almost a complete bike. I never realized just how much plastic was to one of these bikes till I took mine all apart trying to fix things.

For the most part, it appears to be. I posted the back story in my "hello" post, but for sake of convenience I'll summarize it here. I was up at my vapor shop (3 years smoke free from four packs a day lucky strike non filter thanks to this) and I had made mention of wanting a bike. The owner of the shop told me he had one and if I wanted it, it was mine, no cost and that he had clear title. Obviously, this is best summarized as basketcase. I asked him what happened to judge how bad the situation was. He stated that he'd gone on vacation for two weeks and had let a friend house sit for him. When he came back home, the bike was in pieces because the house sitter had decided to get drunk and watch old episodes of biker build off (specifically the one with Brian and Laura Klock from Klockworks) and decided to test his mettle on the oh so convenient bike in the garage. He got back home and the house sitter was very eager to take off. The owner and his wife decided to go for a ride three days later and when he went to the garage, the original photos on my first thread are what he found.

He retained all the original plastics, but the major problem was that he took all the nuts and bolts and kind of just tossed them aside (because you know...THOSE aren't important at all). His wife (since the house sitter was HER friend and stayed on HER reccomendation) went out and bought him a 15 Harley Street Glide as an apology. The previouse owner tracked down the house sitter and was offered $300.00 for damages. They're now in small claims court etc. So, while there are still more parts in his garage and I'm trying to "extricate" the parts but I'm not going to kill myself trying. I've never owned a touring bike and I personally have never liked the flat motor in the wings since they crowd my feet. Kawasaki's Voyager would be nice as well, but I prefer the current Voyager. I never knew much about the Venture Royale as I was in school and mind was on other things when this bike was being built.

So, now that you know the story, Hopefully you can understand why I'm pushing forward. There's always going to be one or two parts in question. There's just something about this bike that says "put me back where I belong".

Trust me I looked at a ton of bikes 2 yrs ago but the first one I looked at was the Venture tucked in the corner of a carport. The guy who owned it was a vet/retired trucker. He was currently driving a medical bus. The reason he was selling it was his hip was bad. The funny thing is his daughter came out and asked what's wrong it acting up again. I blew it off because I fell in love with the bike. The only problem it had when I bought it was the headlight was dim and the fork seals leaked. It would have issue with starting and it cranked slowly when hot sometimes not starting till it cooled down. I had the permission from the Warden to buy a Harley. I looked at a couple and none really did it for me. I went out to local shop and looked at bikes there even a Gold wing trike, bleh just couldn't get past the front. So called the guy up and was like man I'll give you the 1350 if you can drive it to my house. The first thing I did was fixed the headlight and took it for my first ride on the road, I was moving up from a 150 scooter. I will say BIG BIG move.. took me a month to be comfortable to go 2 up. Needless to say there is something about the Venture can't put my finger on it but wow they are fun to ride. I am actually starting to look for another as a project.

Twist the handle and move!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so now that I've had some time to catch my breath a little bit, as promised here's the parts that I have. This will take a second trip back to the storage unit as there is a tub that has more parts in it that I can't as of yet identify. Feel free to leave any feedback on what I have whether it's shot to garbage or not.

1)Left side fairing upper

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_093442.jpg

2)Windshield chrome piece?

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_092757.jpg

3)Right side panel

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094405.jpg

4)Right side saddlebag and mufflers

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094337.jpg

5)Muffler and floorboard of some kind (location on bike unknown)

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094344.jpg

6)Tour Pack and backrest with radio controls

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094255.jpg

7)Front view of tour pack

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094328.jpg

8)All i know is it mounts on the front near the radiator/horns

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_093905.jpg

9)Passenger armrests/rider backrest, pouch

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094109.jpg

10)No frigging clue

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_093921.jpg

11)Armrest that mounts on trunk for passenger x2

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_094034.jpg

12)What happens when you sneeze while taking a photo of the saddlebag without a lid

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p635/matthew_lee3/20161014_093852.jpg

(continued)