IGNORED

Audio Upgrades

So I spent the evening replacing the stock clarion 25W speakers with New [h=3]Polk Audio DB402 DB+ Series 4" 2-way car speakers[/h]After putting everything back together and firing up the motorcycle and giving it a listen, the sound from the speakers was exactly what I had guessed. Same distortion cutoff level, a little different sound but I wouldn't say "better". I have done lots of audio upgrades on vehicles and even have a recording studio in my home. So I have a little experience with audio. Most often when people hear distortion they think the speakers need upgrading, when in reality it is usually the radio that has reached its peak distortion free output level. After spending $250 on new speakers I don't feel it was a total waste because the speakers boast being UV resistant and waterproof and are made of a little better material strength wise. I still believe that the "paper cone" speakers give you the best sound quality, the longevity is the downside. Anyways the new speakers claim 45W RMS power handling and that is almost double what the stock ones can handle. I just ordered a new amp for it :[h=4]Clarion XC1410 300W RMS 4-Channel XC Series Micro Class D Car Amplifier[/h]I hope this will drive the speakers to the level they desire. I know your not going to get enormous sound out of 4" speakers, and the stock system is pretty good "as is". But since I put Rush Exhaust slip-on pipes, I just wanted a little more "Umphh" out of the system. Would I say go out and spend the money like I did? No way! But since I'm in this deep already, I may as well get my money's worth. I recently read a sound comparison of the Venture vs. Ultra Glide vs Valkyrie, and the Venture had the best stock system of the three. That article was pretty old though. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just spent the money on the "I" clutch basket gear, instead of trying to drowned it out with exhaust and sound. I may even get the new gear, then I will have a great sounding exhaust and tunes!

Thanks for the heads up, I never really did the complete math, but I did read these Ventures have approx. 300W electrical system, but that can get used up real fast with 55W headlight, spark plug coils, phone charger, and all the other lights.

Alternator specs:

Output: 14 Volts / 300 Watts / @ 5000 rpm

Stator Coil Resistance: 0.279 ~ 0.341 Ohm @ 68º F

Stator AC Voltage Output: 100+ VAC* @ 4000 rpm

Thanks for the tip on the foam baffles, sounds interesting. I have done a lot of research in the past about speakers (mostly subwoofers) and enclosure designs. They say you build the box to the speakers characteristics. I won't get into all the detail though, I'm really just trying to keep it simple with this job. I found some foam baffles on Ebay for $9 a pair. The reviews are mixed, some say they actually make noise like a blown speaker, some say they help with unwanted vibration. I will probably hold off unless I actually get some noise from vibration. So far the stock system doesn't have enough power to push these speakers to that level. I do have a roll of polyester fiber fill, they say that in subwoofer enclosures it makes the box sound bigger than it actually is. Not sure it would do anything for a 4" midrange kind of speaker but it would probably dampen any vibration in the fairing along with prevent excessive movement with the wiring harness.

I looked at the stock speakers and they are 12W nominal 25 max, so those were being pushed by a 14W/CH RMS system. Sounds like everything was matched fairly well for the 300W charging system. They sure didn't leave a lot of headroom for electrical upgrades. I am working on minimizing the draw of the electrical system. Maybe some switches to shut off passing lights(70W), carb heaters(60W), LED's in the running lights, maybe some HID lights etc... Then with the LED voltmeter I will be able to see what volume it can handle without negatively affecting the charging system.

Edited by The Great White Buffalo

Seems like a lot of money and a lot of work to put out and still not get good sound at highway speeds. A decent Bluetooth headset would appear to be a better solution for listening pleasure. Then there is the issue of sound pollution while driving in traffic. Imagine if every vehicle had their trunk filled with massive speakers and all bikers rode with a ghetto blaster strapped to their back.

Just sayin.... :ignore:

Right now I only have the front Polk speakers installed, and stock in the rear. I drove to work and played around with the sound. When I shut the engine off, I thought what a nice, clear, loud sounding system. I might be going at this all wrong. I may just need to take the helmet off and put the stock pipes back on. Hard to say which speaker sounds better. The Polks seem a littler crisper, but don't quite cover the lower midrange like the Clarions do. I believe this to be because of the efficiency of each speaker and the wattage driving them. Well, I really don't expect a lot of headway to be made with "upgrading" . But I'm "pot committed" now. That's the great thing of buying stuff on the internet. It usually don't pay to send them back.

I must say that I have made drivers aware of me passing them with the loud pipes. I believe it to be an added safety feature, and helmets are definitely a life saver in certain situations. But there is nothing like a "helmet free" ride. With your favorite rock/blues playing! I am not one of those people that crank their music for everyone else to hear. I try to be respectful at night and in populated areas. My favorite rides are on endless back country roads in "God's Country". My post is simply to inform others of my progress, so that it may help in their decision, whether it goes good or bad. I, in the process, may also learn something, I might not be aware of.

"Rock and Roll, ain't noise pollution!" AC/DC

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked outside a shrink's office!"

"Only a Biker understands why a dog sticks its head out a car window!"

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not living!"

This is a discussion that has been going on for many years but new options are always welcome. I have tried 3 or 4 different kinds of speakers and a small amp. None gave me the result that I was looking for. I now use the Edsets headsets but don't use the helmet speakers at all. They have a jack to plug in earbuds and that's what my wife and I use. We put the earbuds in our ears, put on our helmets and enjoy fantastic music. Because they plug right into the Edset module, they sell work for intercom, CB, etc. Love it.

• 4 months later...