IGNORED

AIS on 2005 Venture:

I know and have read in several places about the AIS causing the decelerating backfire through the exhaust pipes. What is the failing item? Is it the reed valve, the air cutoff valve, rubber tubing connecting and controlling the air cut off valve, or other interconnections? Mine backfires too but I'd like to ascertain what is most likely suspect before either repairing, or disabling the system. I see the limited test procedure available in the service manual posted on the site here. All my rubber parts appear sound and all clamps are in place.

Can any of these parts be cleaned with carb cleaner as example due to carbon fouling, or dirt?

I certainly am glad to have that buzz addressed as it was really annoying but now to move to the next annoyance with the bike.

Thanks,

Rob

You will hear mixed solutions on this one. The one I agree with is that disabling the AIS only conceals the cause of the backfires. Things to check include: Leaking vacuum tubes, leaking exhaust (especially the y pipe) or improperly synced carbs. I am sure you will hear from others also. When I had that problem, it was a syncing issue.

You will hear mixed solutions on this one. The one I agree with is that disabling the AIS only conceals the cause of the backfires. Things to check include: Leaking vacuum tubes, leaking exhaust (especially the y pipe) or improperly synced carbs. I am sure you will hear from others also. When I had that problem, it was a syncing issue.

I agree with the masking or covering up of the problem. That being said the system really is passive in nature requiring no engine power to drive, only vacuum and a fresh air source. No real reason to defeat the system if easy to maintain. There is an air filter incorporated and if this is not maintained the system WILL give problems. I suspect it's easy to just look at it as "emissions crap" but w/no active feedback to supply the ECM, it really is transparent to the bike's operation. Nothing really wrong with defeating the system at all except you may have more "sooting" to the exhaust pipes than with the system operational as fresh air injection causes the exhaust gasses to become hotter just as an oxygen stream placed into an acetylene gas flame makes for a flame that vaporizes steel easily.

I am on my second one these bikes and never had the need to disconnect the AIS. I had some backfiring once on my last bike and a carb sync took care of it. I agree with the thought if it's in proper tune and there are no exhaust leaks it shouldn't backfire.